IGNORED

how to verify the authenticity of NES consoles?

Hello everyone,

I recently came across an old NES console and am trying to determine if it is a genuine original. I found the serial number on the bottom of the console, which is N31894919. I also have the Instruction Booklet for the control pad, but I did not find the serial number written on it.

I know some basic steps to verify the authenticity, such as:

Checking the serial number format (which seems to match typical NES series).

Examining the build quality (buttons, connectors, general construction).

Looking for the official Nintendo logo and other markings on the console and accessories.

However, I am looking for more detailed guidance or advice from those who have experience with older consoles. What specific details should I look for? Are there any common signs of fakes or reproductions that I should be aware of?

Any tips or resources you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Administrator · Posted

Can you provide any photos? Odds are it's fine/original, I don't think there's much in terms of fake NES consoles so much as there are clone machines which are obviously not original NES. Photos would help to be like "yep, looks fine" but I'd honestly not be too concerned.

• Agree 3

They made more than sixty million of them. While you can't find one for $10 anymore, I can't see them being so valuable people would go to the trouble to fake them to the point that they look almost exactly like the original. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As others have said I’ve never even heard of anyone encountering a fake NES console.   If it looks like the thing you should be good here.  If you start getting into games and need some help learning to identify authenticity there you can find plenty of help here.  Also, be aware that just because you received paperwork that belongs with an item it doesn’t necessarily mean that that particular piece of paper originally came with that item.  

I can't imagine anyone going out of their way, with ALL the tech involved, designing the board, tooling all the plastic, the connectors, chips etc, to make a 1:1 fake of an NES console.  An expensive cart, sure, but at least that is pretty easy to spot.

The smooth top are the earlier models, there really weren't any fake NES consoles at least not in the US.  Even then the fakes looked not like the NES, any that actually closely did were regional like the Asia/HK version and says as much on the door, or the PAL unit again says as much.

The controllers don't have serials, nor does the paperwork either that you wish matched, be happy you have the paper of any sort still.  The given serial looks right from what you typed.  The description of the system seems so far right too for what was listed.

I mean if you're that paranoid, they didn't give a crap about security, just use a common screw driver and crack it open.  It's pretty clear it's a Nintendo board looking at it since they mark things.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

They made more than sixty million of them. While you can't find one for $10 anymore, I can't see them being so valuable people would go to the trouble to fake them to the point that they look almost exactly like the original. 

Maybe not, but you can get one for $20 still... 😉

Yes this happened a few months ago, store bizarrely didn't check the slot.

nes-halfprice-mm1inside-booboo.jpg

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe not, but you can get one for $20 still... 😉

Yes this happened a few months ago, store bizarrely didn't check the slot.

nes-halfprice-mm1inside-booboo.jpg

Damn man they're just givin' stuff away!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Damn man they're just givin' stuff away!

My guess is likely right, it's a mix of two things

1- It came with no power cable, no a/v cable either.
2- LAZY -- It was untested so they didn't even rub two brain cells together to look into the slot which is stunning.

The system had come in with at least a dozen games, I had grabbed one or two out of the case as well before this was put in a day later.  It was just tied up in the bag and had that label.  I was surprised they still didn't ask twice as much with the missing cheap pieces.  I didn't need the game, but a friend I made online about 15 years ago kind of did, so I sent that his way as his copy was beat up.

I had the spare cables as I keep them when I find stuff cheap, and I still have the console as a backup in storage.

• Like 1