IGNORED

Atari buys out Intellivision

Posted (edited)

If you had asked me a few years ago, I wouldn't have predicted this.  I guess it shows that the current version of Atari has a bit of credibility that people are mostly happy about this.

BUT - No, I don't need another version of 2-player, 8-bit football for my PS5.  

Edited by wongojack
  • Haha 1

Eh, can't work up too much excitement. Both companies have long since been bought and sold several times over since their heyday. They're basically IP holding companies that occasionally put out a nostalgia hardware project (or not, in Intellivision's case.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Does this have any consequences at all? 😅

It depends on how you consume this type of content these days. 

• If you like the compilations, you can probably expect to see one for Intellivision or at least one that includes some Inty games
  • If you like to purchase new hardware that runs old software then maybe there will be some sort of Intelivision+ or adapters to play Intellivision carts on the 2600+.  There could also be some physical Intellivision cartridges or accessories released (controllers)
  • If you own the Atari VCS (from 2020), you could see some Intellivision software released for that device
  • If you like the "Recharged" series from Atari then you might see some Intellivision recharged games

Atari now owns Digital Leisure which has done some nice conversions that go beyond just gaming.  If you like those then perhaps something like "The Making of Karateka" could be released with Intellivision as the subject.

On the other hand, if you tend to just ignore game systems that were before your time then there will probably be nothing that comes out of this for you.

INTELLIVISION DOES!

16 bit arcade graphics (no really; the CPU was 16 bit)

You can't do this on Atari!

INTELLIVISION DOES!

16 bit sports action!

INTELLIVISION DOES!

16 button precision controller!

INTELLIVISION...DOES!  INTELLIVISION...DOES!  INTELLIVISION DOES...

What Atari ain't!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Put out a scam product? 😛

Like the 5200's non-centering joystick?

And when you're trying to hook it up it makes a spark...that can't be good...

Edited by Estil

14 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I've used those joysticks. They're not that bad. Not everything AVGN gripes about has merit.

Oh if that spark happens when you have a gas leak you don't know about... >_<

3 hours ago, G-type said:

If you're referencing the Amico, this purchase does not include that, and Atari wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole position.

I know. I couldn't resist.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Oh if that spark happens when you have a gas leak you don't know about... >_<

Don't play it after eating Taco Bell.