IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Skate or Die

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

It is time to get RADICAL!

Get your boards, players and get ready for SKATE OR DIE!!!

The rules for this week are EXTREME!

• Play in Compete Mode
  • You must play Freestyle, Jam, and Race modes
  • Add all three scores together to get your final score
  • Take a picture of all 3 scores in the trophy menu
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Sports

Go ride the wind!

The contest ends Sunday, 05/19/24 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 1

Brought To You By @NESfiend Inspirations: It's The PII breakdown of 2008's "Skate Or Die!" The Movie.

If you've never witnessed anything like this before it's basically just my breakdown of the movie plot with crunchy bits of peanut gallery style commentary along the way.  If you're afraid of spoilers..., don't be.  You probably don't want to see this movie anyway, so why not enjoy my quick and easy to read summation?  It's much more entertaining than actually watching the movie anyway.  If you do wish to view the film, it is on youtube in French with Spanish subtitles.

...yeah, I told you, you didn't actually want to watch it.  Why not trust me?

• Love 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:48 PM, PII said:

Brought To You By @NESfiend Inspirations: It's The PII breakdown of 2008's "Skate Or Die!" The Movie.

If you've never witnessed anything like this before it's basically just my breakdown of the movie plot with crunchy bits of peanut gallery style commentary along the way.  If you're afraid of spoilers..., don't be.  You probably don't want to see this movie anyway, so why not enjoy my quick and easy to read summation?  It's much more entertaining than actually watching the movie anyway.  If you do wish to view the film, it is on youtube in French with Spanish subtitles.

...yeah, I told you, you didn't actually want to watch it.  Why not trust me?

I can't believe you did this. I have to see it now, no matter how bad it is. Tremendous review. 

Meanwhile, I am a failure at skate or die. I practiced the half pipe a good deal before the season started. Dreamt of mastering it. Did not. This week has been a bitch and I have had to work the last 3 nights. On it tonight and failing. One more night tomorrow before leaving town for the way too many-ith time in the last month and a half. 

Score coming soon. It will suck. But this crazy run of work and travel is about done. I will soon return to weekly relevance in this thing, so prepare for many posts and slightly better than mediocre scores after way too much trying

2 hours ago, PII said:

Yeah, I thought 2900 was the max...

You could be rewriting the Freestyle here...

I watched a video where I saw someone hitting the 3200 pointer and thought it must've been tool assisted. But then I hit it too 😁. I think I'm done for this week though, maybe I'll hit 26k next time.✌️

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
On 5/15/2024 at 6:14 PM, BriGuy82 said:

25K!

PXL_20240515_221315233.jpg

You asked for stats? You're gonna get them straight from the board!

Sorry for the delay, I had internet problems during this week.

First thing to mention, it has been almost 10 years that we haven't played this game in the contest (last time June 2014), which is pretty wild considering it was played and appreciated in 2010-2012 before that! Organizers must be kind of stupid or something.

2010 scores worth mentioning, ramp only competition:

24,487 – superNESman +10 (Note that superNESman is Deniz Khan, co-founder of WATA)
24,022 – Lincoln +8
23,171 – guillavoie +6
23,104 – OSG +4

2012 :

Can't see jack shit on threads cause all the pics are down and the scores are a combination of 2 events.
I'm pretty sure I had a 24k score in there, and there's a post from you about it in the 2014 thread contest. But how good of a 24k score? NOBODY KNOWS!

2014 :

guillavoie: 25,183
OSG: 23,327

BriGuy82: You probably had a nice score, but your pic is down and I only have the compilation of your 2 scores, 40,769

With all that said, it is pretty clear to me, and to probably everyone in here, that you owe it to us to play some more ramp just to kick my old 2014 score's ass! It has to be done within the week man 😛 !!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, guillavoie said:

You asked for stats? You're gonna get them straight from the board!

Sorry for the delay, I had internet problems during this week.

First thing to mention, it has been almost 10 years that we haven't played this game in the contest (last time June 2014), which is pretty wild considering it was played and appreciated in 2010-2012 before that! Organizers must be kind of stupid or something.

2010 scores worth mentioning, ramp only competition:

24,487 – superNESman +10 (Note that superNESman is Deniz Khan, co-founder of WATA)
24,022 – Lincoln +8
23,171 – guillavoie +6
23,104 – OSG +4

2012 :

Can't see jack shit on threads cause all the pics are down and the scores are a combination of 2 events.
I'm pretty sure I had a 24k score in there, and there's a post from you about it in the 2014 thread contest. But how good of a 24k score? NOBODY KNOWS!

2014 :

guillavoie: 25,183
OSG: 23,327

BriGuy82: You probably had a nice score, but your pic is down and I only have the compilation of your 2 scores, 40,769

With all that said, it is pretty clear to me, and to probably everyone in here, that you owe it to us to play some more ramp just to kick my old 2014 score's ass! It has to be done within the week man 😛 !!!

Wow, very cool. Thanks for posting that. See, I still remembered that you were the skate or die GOAT around here 👑. Your score is safe from me this week, I'm done. Maybe in another 10 years I'll try again. Who knows, maybe someone else will step up.👍

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 4:40 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Wasn't in the mood to play this week and only tried it just now to get up a participation score. The game didn't really motivate me to continue playing either.

SkateorDieScore2.jpg.e8786258e2080fde336d4c669cbb872f.jpg

Surprised to see you didn't enjoy this one. From the completions thread, seems like you enjoy the sports games with a handful of events. I thought these 3 were pretty fun. Nice none of them involves crazy button mashing, like you see in a lot of the multi-event sports games for NES

For both you and @PII, what were the strats on downhill jam and downhill race? I thought a pretty perfect run on the race would amount to 10k or so. I'm guessing you don't want to race straight down as fast as you can like I did, but take more time to incorporate more tricks? I could see getting crazy high scores on the downhill jam if you got the right rhythm and found a way to trap the opponent in a spot where you could get him over and over. Definitely reminded me of the innertube thrash in ski or die. I like the ski or die version a lot better there, but I put the time in on that one and it clicked for me eventually. Didn't get there here but could see how one would. 

28 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

strats on downhill jam and downhill race?

Downhill Race you want to stick to the right side of the course except in the beginning where you want to go to the left, hit the skull and then jump off the right side of the elevated portion that the skull is on.  Then jump and duck the 1st and 2nd blockades respectively, jump some flowers, jump either side of the spilled gravel, jump the flower bed, jump the sewer and then the 3 jumps starting with the one to the island and finally turn hard and jump some more flowers before you cross the finish line and of course do it all as fast as you can.  Another factor is to do a frontside or backside ollie when you're jumping which makes things harder because you have to time the 180˚ rotation of the board similar to timing the rotation of the board in some of the freestyle tricks but a little easier.  There are quite a few spots on the course where you can jump over flowers.....

The Downhill Jam is similar to the Inner-tube thrash but getting a big score is actually pretty easy.  All you have to do is crush the first two cans real quick and then cut the other skater off to make him fall, bounce off the side and then position your skater in front of him and he will keep falling off for a 500 point bonus until the score will not go up anymore.  It seems, the further down the hill you are the sooner the score will stop going up, so you don't have to do anything else really.  Total cheese.

I started to get the hang of the freestyle about midway through the week but I am nothing special at it.  Will take more practice to get really comfortable with the timing on that one.  The whole game is like that.  Every move is very particular and if you screw up the timing on anything even a relatively simple thing like turning or speeding up, your whole run can end up shot.  But it is still a really fun game once you get the hang of the controls and spend enough time to start getting at least somewhat consistent with the timing on any particular challenge.  

I have way more nostalgia for Skate or Die, but I think I actually like Ski or Die a little better....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, PII said:

I have way more nostalgia for Skate or Die, but I think I actually like Ski or Die a little better....

One day, hopefully in the not so distant future, I will get back to this post and see if I can put up some scores there. Appreciate the detail on those. I got hooked on freestyle and still didn't get there with it, but both of those other events are fun.

As far as the above quote, I find it really interesting coming from the opposite perspective. I rented ski or die all the time, but never skate or die. I don't know if they didn't have the original, or if I always chose the sequel because the cover art had a dude skateboarding inside a mall. Im still trying to get to that scene in the game.

I thought playing these events that my nostalgia was probably a big factor in my preference for the winter version, because I was impressed with this game. But hearing you say that makes me think I was right all along. Lets alternate between ski or die and skate or die each year. Great contest games

Edited by NESfiend
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lets alternate between ski or die and skate or die each year. Great contest games

Yeah, I really like all these "sports variety" games a lot.  They look so overly simplistic at first glance but are addictively fun to try and improve at.