IGNORED

Cooking methods

Link

Frying. Deep frying. Baking. Grilling. Barbecue. Preserving (canning, dehydration, salt/sugar/smoke/vinegar). Knifework. 

What techniques do you like? want advice on? just tried? wanna brag about? 

200.gif?cid=c7bb2c54gsk669fwjpq5ck45b1p3

• Like 1

I tried sous vide last week.

I've heard about this method a lot (like, on TV) but I was put off by the bag thing. I don't have a vacuum sealer, and ziplock bags don't seem like they could  be in boiling water. But I was still interested in trying it. For some reason, I looked it up on SeriousEats, and "freezer bag" made something click.

A few days later, I went in the freezer for a salmon fillet and noticed they were individually sealed, and decided here was a chance. I took the fish out, patted it dry, added seasoning and butter, put it back in the bag. I folded the top down and put it in the water, using a binder clip to secure it to the edge of the pot (and keep the non-sealed bag upright).

No pictures, but it came out good... later I'll have to run a taste test to compare this with baking or grilling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Link said:

Thawed

So my problem as of late is micro plastics. That is why I haven’t gotten a souevide thing yet. I feel that cooking the plastic with my food could be detrimental. However, I’m just a scrub and actually have no idea what is what.

Your fish does look like it was cooked well though. Maybe a quick sear to get some crust.

Administrator · Posted

I normally use our Toaster Oven / Airfryer combo.  It's a nice unit, and it will heat / crisp things up very well.  I don't really do a lot of baking, so I don't use the full oven very frequently.  I use the stovetop often and then the toaster oven / airfryer for just about everything.

Also, I have a microwave and there is no shame in having/using one.  I don't cook/make all my meals there, but it is very handy for a number of reasons when you just need to warm something up quickly without making a big mess.  It's not the primary cooking device, but it can still be a great supporting tool in the kitchen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Microwavehas its place, for me. Leftovers and batch prepped stuff, heating water for tea, fixing hard toast, taking the chill off something frozen before the frying pan.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:18 PM, Richardhead said:

So my problem as of late is micro plastics. That is why I haven’t gotten a souevide thing yet. I feel that cooking the plastic with my food could be detrimental. However, I’m just a scrub and actually have no idea what is what.

Your fish does look like it was cooked well though. Maybe a quick sear to get some crust.

Sear is a great idea 👍 I was also worried about boiling a plastic bag. The packaging for the fish is pretty sturdy; I'm still skeptical of using ziplocks even if they are freezer-ready.

Edited by Link