IGNORED

Why don't 8th gen games look THAT much better than 7th gen? Will this also be true for 9th gen in 2020?

Estil

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

You are definitely not using the right equipment if you don't think that sound has improved since the PS1 era.  Sound quality has improved significantly since then, especially since the PS3 era.  I understand that not everyone is going to invest in proper sound equipment, but that doesn't mean the improvements aren't there.  

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great example of a game that really uses the surround sound to full effect.  Listening to that game through 7.1 surround for the first time was an amazing experience.  

What I meant was for the average person using TV speakers and/or a stereo setup. Once games transitioned to redbook audio and full voices, that was pretty much it for the average person, they're not gonna notice much improvement after that.

• 2 years later...

Again, this game has traditionally been (going allllll the way back to the PS1 days) one of the if not THE "showing off what the system can do if really pushed" sorts of games.  So how is it that not only is there a PS4 version but there's hardly a dime's worth of visual difference? 😞   Well there is a teeny bit difference in the car interior looks...

So I guess the days when a game's graphics could truly wow a person in a "I never seen anything like this!" or "I can't believe the system can do this!" are loooooong gone... 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

I think if you’re judging modern consoles and future consoles purely on graphics alone, it’s akin to judging on Miss Universe with the top contestants basically looking as good as each other. 

However, future consoles will allow faster hardware calculations which means more noticeable improved performances in the game engine. 

So yes, while our eyes will barely notice any graphical enhancements, our brains should still be able to appreciate the subtle differences in the power in which all new future consoles entering the market.

I think also important to note that it’s gaming of the 3D nature that will benefit from ongoing console upgrades. 2D games are basically already perfected with current consoles, with the only limitation being the programmers creativity and resources.

46 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think if you’re judging modern consoles and future consoles purely on graphics alone, it’s akin to judging on Miss Universe with the top contestants basically looking as good as each other. 

Well yeah if you made it anywhere near that far in a major pageant like that or Miss USA (which determines who represents the US in Miss Universe) or Miss America (of even state level of both) of course the top contestants are all gonna look as hot as each other 😍🥰

I'm not so sure about cat shows though...wouldn't you think most cats in those sorts of things are stuck up diva sorts of Aristocats (can you imagine a Cats & Tiaras sort of "reality" show?  lol...) who, let's say you try to dangle something in front of them to play with they'll turn their nose at you like "Humph!  I got my reputation to think about!".  I would never want that, I want my kitty (and I hope someday kitties) to be as adorable and kawaii as can be!🥰

And people really spend hundreds of dollars on those kind of cats???  I just want my kitty (and I hope someday kitties) to be my best friends, best pals, best buddies 😞 

Edited by Estil

PS5 has native 4k, more dense and detailed foliage, more realistic lighting and reflections with ray tracing, mostly more stable framerate, higher detailed models, less blurry effects, and pretty much non-existant loadtimes with SSD.

You also have non-graphical features like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback that can really change the whole feel.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, fox said:

PS5 has native 4k, more dense and detailed foliage, more realistic lighting and reflections with ray tracing, mostly more stable framerate, higher detailed models, less blurry effects, and pretty much non-existant loadtimes with SSD.

You also have non-graphical features like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback that can really change the whole feel.

Yep well said. Sure the graphics aren’t as huge as a leap from say NES to SNES but there are still some huge differences between PS4 and PS5

Not specific to this game but the hair in games will look way better on ps5 too.

Also I’d like a comparison between a early ps4 game vs early ps5. The differences will be a lot more noticeable I think. Like look at Knack vs Ratchet & Clank on the PS5. Huge differences.

• Like 1

So I guess I really need a 4K monitor to really see the difference?  And I agree how realistic the hair on people moves and is detailed is also a dead giveaway...at least if the developers choose to put time/attention to that kind of detail.

I’ve brought this up before (probably here even since this was started in 2019) but pixel density is always the biggest factor. Even with the next generation, 8k will likely be the standard and though the PS5 can do 8k (I think) but only at 30 FPS, the PS6 will likely perform at 8K on performance mode. If you still have a 4k display (or even a “small” 8k that you sit 8-10’ from) you might not see the quality bump as easily.

If we ever get to the point where we stop pushing extra pixels you can’t see, for the sake of more pixels, the incremental bumps in tech might seem like an even bigger deal. As of now, actual detail in regards to textures and polys are about 4x more difficult to process as we keep jumping from HD, 4K, 8K, 16k, etc.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

So I guess I really need a 4K monitor to really see the difference?  And I agree how realistic the hair on people moves and is detailed is also a dead giveaway...at least if the developers choose to put time/attention to that kind of detail.

You can really notice the difference between a 1080 game and 4K. Especially if it’s a more realistic type game. Nintendo can get away with it on some of their games because they are more cartoony. Especially stuff like Mario.

But going forward, once 4K becomes the standard on consolesfor I think it will come down to the smaller details that will make a game look so realistic.

I’m currently playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and I’m blown away how realistic everything looks. It’s absolutely crazy how good the graphics look compared to say Uncharted 3 which was released a few years before it. But I am playing it on a PC with a 3060 so that is a slight advantage haha.

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

I’m currently playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and I’m blown away how realistic everything looks. It’s absolutely crazy how good the graphics look compared to say Uncharted 3 which was released a few years before it. But I am playing it on a PC with a 3060 so that is a slight advantage haha.

Hey that's cheating!

• Haha 1

Whenever there are significant advances in technology, you are limited from fully appreciating the improvements by the weakest link in the system.

For example, you could have a strong processor but a weak display/monitor. Or even all strong hardware, but weak software.

Today I think we are getting to the point where the weak link is the hardware in the human body… the resolution detected by our eyes, the rate that we can track movements and the spectrum of color intensities that we can see. 

The next significant wave of tech will be in enhancing the human beings abilities. We will be getting brain chips and eye enhancements. I personally will not be participating in this, but I can see that this is where we are headed if we are to continue progressing into the future.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
4 hours ago, phart010 said:

The next significant wave of tech will be in enhancing the human beings abilities. We will be getting brain chips and eye enhancements. I personally will not be participating in this, but I can see that this is where we are headed if we are to continue progressing into the future.

As crazy as it sounds, I think you're probably right.

-CasualCart

Ultraviolet Shirt.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 10:24 AM, phart010 said:

We will be getting brain chips and eye enhancements. I personally will not be participating in this, but I can see that this is where we are headed if we are to continue progressing into the future.

Oh I DO anticipate this and I think it'd be really cool dudeish.  Probably still at least a few decades away but it does sound awesome...I mean what else could be the next step from the current smartphones?

On 3/14/2022 at 8:24 AM, phart010 said:

You'll be so retro playing the PS5 in 2053. 😛

So apparently the latest GTA game (I've never really played one though) also gets PS4 and PS5 versions and I do like how the differences can be clearly explained but I can't help but wonder, why can't those missing features be done on PS4?  For the record I do think the rain effects are really neat...and I even felt that way regarding how it looks/works in Mario Kart 8 (WiiU version)

I kinda have mixed feelings about all of this.  On the one hand we should be grateful that we do have the option to play some PS5 blue chip games on PS4 and that there's hardly any difference...seeing as how it's STILL near impossible to get a new PS5 for it's real $500 SRP.  But wouldn't you figure the whole idea of a next-gen (9th gen in this case) console should be that it can do games/features that the previous gen (8th gen/PS4) would have no chance of handling if it's life depended on it?  You know, like in the good ol' days?

Don't misunderstand me I certainly WILL get a PS5 at some point but the only two games for it that really interest me (Dragon Quest 12 and Final Fantasy 16) are still at least a year or more away.  Unless one or both will get a PS4 version I suppose...

Edited by Estil