IGNORED

Spec Ops: The Line delisted everywhere

Administrator · Posted

Another reminder that the so-called "digital future" is a nightmare scenario for anyone who cares at all about preservation and especially accessibility of content, Spec Ops: The Line has been delisted from all online platforms like Steam et al and so if you've not already purchased it in the past, you can no longer purchase it ever (digitally). 

It's not the best game in history, it's not even the best third-person shooter that came out that year, but it's a bit of a mixed bag of mixed messages and especially important ones relating to war and video games in today's climate. It's disappointing to see them do this without warning (we had a few days after Steam delisted it to go buy it for sale on GOG and a few other platforms), and especially over music licensing. I won't get into how ridiculous it is that you can't continue to sell something because the music you paid to put in it required a contract which means you can't sell it anymore after a certain date because it contains that music, suffice it to say that it's fuckin' dumb (I'm eloquent af).

If you purchased it on GOG (or another DRM-free platform, I assume one or two others have popped up over the years) you can still download backup offline install files as I've done to preserve my ability to play it in the future, cuz who knows what the future holds. If you purchased it on Steam prior to the delisting you can still install and play it, you just can't buy it if you don't already own it.

• Wow! 1

Collectors are so dumb. The consoles version of this game shot up 3x in price because of this. Was anyone buying digital versions of Spec Ops: The Line on PS3? Are those digital stores even still up? The PC version, the version that was actually just delisted, is still available for $15 brand new physically. Insanity.

This is the perfect situation to not panic. A game was delisted... and physical copies were already available for low prices on every platform! It's like buying up a DVD because it got removed from Netflix.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
40 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Collectors are so dumb. The consoles version of this game shot up 3x in price because of this. Was anyone buying digital versions of Spec Ops: The Line on PS3? Are those digital stores even still up? The PC version, the version that was actually just delisted, is still available for $15 brand new physically. Insanity.

This is the perfect situation to not panic. A game was delisted... and physical copies were already available for low prices on every platform! It's like buying up a DVD because it got removed from Netflix.

Lol yeah in terms of suddenly the physical release being sold for more - that's plum silly, those numbers haven't changed in the slightest, and as you say the physical pc version is available. 

I imagine those people buying it today are more in the "this is the only way to play now, so one day this copy will be worth EVEN MORE!" camp than the "man I'm really gonna wanna pop this in my ps3 in 20 years, better get it while I can" camp. 

22 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Shit, I panicked and just bought 50 copies... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Here you go kids.

Go buy your PC version of Spec Ops: The Line for $16 a pop.

or

PS3 or 360 versions for $120.

😂

EDIT: Sorry Tyler I know I'm just repeating what you already said lol

Says 8 sold in the last 24hours. The guy must be wondering what the hell is going on 😆

Let’s hype this thread so we can help him sell his remaining stock of something no one will care about in two weeks time!

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brickman said:

Says 8 sold in the last 24hours. The guy must be wondering what the hell is going on 😆

Literally two days ago, I randomly thought about "the NA effect", and concluded no, that's not still a thing. 

And here we are.

• Agree 1