IGNORED

In Canada, you cannot buy the Stanley Cup...you must EARN it through YEARS of practice! In the US, not so much apparently...

Estil

To drink from the Stanley Cup it takes YEARS of practice!

There is NO frickin' way Canada will allow these to be sold branded as "Stanley Cups".  I've no doubt to sell these in Canada they'll have to call them something different...after all the REAL Stanley Cup (there's actually three) has been their Holy Grail for over 100 years!

Edited by Estil

The thing is, Stanley brand cups have been around for several decades.  I guess with the latest fad craze model, people finally noticed the name of the company.

Back when I was very young, my parents bought a set of coffee mugs.  They were around for years.  In my teens I finally paid attention and I saw “Stanley” embossed on the bottom and it hit me it was a “Stanley Cup” and I chuckled and moved on.  That was at least 30 years ago.

So yeah, they basically got lucky and made the new hydro flask/Nalgen/whatever fad drinking device.  Good for them.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Loungefly mini backpacks are another hot commodity. I had a coworker get real bummed when she missed out on a very limited edition disney one. She actually has a pretty sizable collection of valuable ones.

My wife has told me about these too.  She likes them but thinks people are crazy to pay the prices they do for them. I can see why those would be cute and desirable. They aren’t worth the price but at least their are more than just a painted cup.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Estil said:

And aren't these drink containers like people, it's what's inside that counts?

Reporter: "Why are you guys so into these cups?"
Kid: "Everyone has them!"
Other kid: "I used to like, drink water. But now I drink like, MORE."

I do not envy parents.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

My wife has told me about these too.  She likes them but thinks people are crazy to pay the prices they do for them. I can see why those would be cute and desirable. They aren’t worth the price but at least their are more than just a painted cup.

I see the cups as a cute accessory like the backpacks. Make some colors rare and that collector impulse takes over. It wouldn't surprise me if my kids start badgering me for their own stanley. To that end I remind them how many .99 water bottles we have replaced!😆

Graphics Team · Posted

For Christmas my sister asked if I wanted to go half-and-half on a gift for my Grandma. I said sure, and she ended up buying a water bottle for like $40.

I was so confused - like, why would Grandma want a water bottle? And why in the world does it cost so much?

Now it all makes sense - I bet it was one of these Stanley cups and my sister bought into the hype. (And I guess I inadvertently contributed to the madness by pitching-in to buy one.)

[T-Pac]

4 hours ago, nrslam said:

It's been 30 years since a Canadian team won the cup, so I guess practice practice practice doesn't work anymore, either.

And after 1993, only six times has a Canadian team made the Finals, and as you already said, none won the top prize.

5 hours ago, nrslam said:

It's been 30 years since a Canadian team won the cup, so I guess practice practice practice doesn't work anymore, either.

I was gonna come in here to say just this on behalf of the "correctly pronouncing decals" folks, but you beat me to it, so I'll say this instead: look up how many captains of US teams winning the cup have been Canadian in the last thirty years, or, better yet, look up the percentage of each championship roster that has been Canadian in the last thirty years and you'll see that we win it every damn time, just not within our own geographical borders... 😛

Editorials Team · Posted

One of my neighbors has been collecting and selling and dealing these Stanley cups for a couple years now. I thought it was weird but I guess she was ahead of the curve this whole time. I wonder if she loves or hates this uptick.

I know we collect old video games but I feel theirs a myriad of reasons why we could bullet-point out of why this is fun for us and even a few of those bullet points, we could argue that it's "important for societal history".

But cups?  This crosses a line.  They are literal metal cups that are painted colors.  If it's a fad to own one ok, I still don't get it but what ever.

However collecting tons of $40 cups, seriously what's the point?!  Why?  I know collectors are gonna collect, but even for me as a collector, I'm not seeing the connection with this one.  This is like collecting dirt.  What's the point?

21 minutes ago, RH said:

This is like collecting dirt.  What's the point?

Oh people out there love collecting dirt too!100_1304.JPG.ad0ad3ceef2e31d852a421c97e30ab7c.JPG

Seriously though, after this thread, I asked my middle school aged daughter if Stanley Cups are indeed popular at her school(she goes to a rural middle school). She tells me yes they are. Fortunately she does not want one. Though if there was a Nintendo collaboration with images of Kirby...

Just now, Kguillemette said:

Oh people out there love collecting dirt too!100_1304.JPG.ad0ad3ceef2e31d852a421c97e30ab7c.JPG

Seriously though, after this thread, I asked my middle school aged daughter if Stanley Cups are indeed popular at her school(she goes to a rural middle school). She tells me yes they are. Fortunately she does not want one. Though if there was a Nintendo collaboration with images of Kirby...

You know, as soon as I posted "it's like collecting dirt", I started thinking about how even that makes more sense.  Collecting dirt is a good/cheap way to collect a souvenir for your travels, or if you enjoy at-home science, dirt from around the world might be fascinating to study under a microscope.

So, yes, I think collecting dirt makes more sense than collecting colored cups.

Administrator · Posted
51 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

image.png