IGNORED

Favorite Find 2023

My favorite "find" of the year wasn't a find itself, rather it was an acquisition, though it's an odd situation as I had made the game. I am talking about Mr Lee's Alishan Tea Collector for the Famicom.

By the time one gets into having a large enough collection, it gets to a point where the focus almost feels like one is just trying to tick off a box to complete a set or what not. It's enjoyable for what it is, but there's only so much you can do with owning shelf piece that you can't properly play as you don't understand the language (the downside of collecting imports). Then there's another side of the matter, it all begins to feel a bit opulent when you're spending tons of money on old games, dropping four or five figures whilst you see people around you struggle, whether your peers or strangers on the news in war-torn countries, etc. 

Mr Lee's Alishan Tea Collector is different though. It's a game based on a trip I took with gaming friend I knew online, forging a lifelong friendship and countless memories. It's the embodiment of memories and experiences being greater than material items, and the game has even begun to develop a cult following here, which has led to even more fun times and memories.

So while not a find, it was a game that was added to my collection last year, and it is one that will stay in my collection even if I do someday unload other items.

IMG20240124132338.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:19 PM, attakid101 said:

Sucks that I gotta follow the Crazy Taxi original art guy but here’s what I got lol

I’d been looking for this banner for years. I found a couple during that time but the nice ones were too expensive, and the affordable ones were too ugly.

Finally found my Goldilocks. The reverse is just as nice as the front. That is to say, not perfect but display worthy. I feel I got a good deal on it.

IMG_6562.jpeg

I got one of those last year too, probably same guy?  Mine was unfolded and unstitched, but yes those SNES nylon banners are sweet!

• Like 1

My best "find" for this year was a heavy hitter I had needed for my Game Gear set: Urban Strike. 

A good friend and fellow collector had one and preferred to sell it to me to for funds towards an almost one of a kind item he was hunting, on a set he really enjoyed collecting.  The best part is we both won in the end, since he was able to get his item and I have this one for my own set.

urban-strike-gg.jpg

• Like 4