IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

It might be best to create another thread with all the specific examples and we can try to come to a consensus on things that might need to be changed? 

TBH I think the distinction between "good ending" and "get the crystal then beat the game" is very small (having an extra life when you beat the final boss) that I don't think it's too much to ask. With almost 700 games it's hard to say there are hard and fast rules. It's more like a hierarchy of completion steps from most clear to least clear, depending how confusing the game's "ending" or lack thereof is and how it asks you (or doesn't) to engage with its content

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

It might be best to create another thread with all the specific examples and we can try to come to a consensus on things that might need to be changed? 

TBH I think the distinction between "good ending" and "get the crystal then beat the game" is very small (having an extra life when you beat the final boss) that I don't think it's too much to ask. With almost 700 games it's hard to say there are hard and fast rules. It's more like a hierarchy of completion steps from most clear to least clear, depending how confusing the game's "ending" or lack thereof is and how it asks you (or doesn't) to engage with its content

You're a bit ahead of me.  I'm working on an Excel file right now, and was gonna make a post once I finish the letter B to open it up for feedback.  I'm trying to note the number of levels and stuff when possible, and minimum requirements as much as possible.  Ultimately I want to have every game listed, even if it's pretty straightforward, just so that there aren't any questions.  I'm using AdamL's list and the Pastebin to get the general requirements in there, but am by no means an expert and would welcome a ton of feedback before sinking too much time into it 😛

EDIT: Thread posted.

Edited by the_wizard_666

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 536/677

Swords and Serpents is done.

This time I made a team of the first four from last year's NES challenge. Nerdynebraskan in the lead as a warrior with Khromak, another warrior, right behind him. They fittingly made the most damage. Then TheGameDisplay makes an appearance as a thief, because he came out of nowhere and climbed the ranking, before disappearing into the shadows again. And finally, there's Scaryice as the (number) wizard, overseeing everything and keeping everyone alive and buffed with his spells.

Swords_and_Serpents.jpg

Swords_and_Serpents_characters.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Well, turns out I have no life and gravnic is much, much easier than puzznic. Been a while since I played this. 

All of puzznic (game) is now complete. Didn't get a picture of the puzznic part because it disappears super fast but it turns out not to matter much since the ending is the same, lame! 

I must say, the difficulty curve on this game is silly. Some levels in the mid ranges would take me 20 minutes, then the very best level I'd solve in 30 seconds with no planning while just trying things out. This is all referring to puzznic. The gravnic part I found much easier because there are only 4 options and you can easily see if it's gonna put you into a fail state, and there's rarely much planning ahead. 

All in all, not my favorite puzzle game but it's alright. I think this is my second ish time beating it

20240210_213855.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Pinbot is done. I've been playing this game off and on for a few weeks now, finally was able to do it today. I think the key is to not advance the playfield, because it adds too much randomness. Better to stay on the first stage and slowly build your score. I did advance it at the end to crush my previous best. Overall, it was a satisfying game to clear, since I just had to slowly get better at it without any easy strats.

7rR6IQF.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 539/677

Bad News Baseball is done. This is the game for you if you like homeruns. The field is shallow and the ball carries. Early on, I had 8 homers in a game I lost. The fielding aspect isnt the best for an nes baseball game. But 5-10 homers a game keeps it interesting anyhow

20240211_035443.jpg

Jack Nicholaus' Major Championship Golf is done. Goal was to break 90 this year. Came way under that, but still bittersweet. I was +2 if you dont count the 12 I had on #10. There is a janky thing where sometimes you have to putt at a 45 degree angle. Think I had 7 putts that hole. This one would be hard to come up a fair win condition. It would be an inhuman feat to shoot 72. But in previous years I have cleared it with like a 103. Probably needs to be some standard beyond completing 18. The load time is maddening, btw

20240211_130844.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

The self proclaimed "Greatest game on earth" is done, as I decided to take out Circus Caper this morning.   I didn't even know this game existed growing up, and it's no wonder since it's a bog standard hop 'n bop platformer with nothing really interesting enough to make it stand out from the slew of it's NES kin, although it's kind of weird that a game aimed at younger children would be a one-lifer, but whatever...

CC-1.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Is anybody playing Dragon Warrior IV or wants to play it soon? If not, I would like to chose this as my next side project game.

It's on my list of potential games to play this year, but I haven't wanted to commit to 30+ hours for 7 points so I say go for it lol.

Speaking of side projects, I've been thinking of taking on Athena, but it seems like you need to do it all in one play session, right? It seems like "Continue" only works if the system remained powered on.

That in mind, I've been thinking of leaving that for a weekend day where I have a really long time to play at once, so I can get through the whole thing without interruption. In the mean time I'll probably start practicing Battletoads & DD, or start a game of Faria, Battle of Olympus, Startropics, or Little Ninja Bros. Any opinions?

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

It's on my list of potential games to play this year, but I haven't wanted to commit to 30+ hours for 7 points so I say go for it lol.

Speaking of side projects, I've been thinking of taking on Athena, but it seems like you need to do it all in one play session, right? It seems like "Continue" only works if the system remained powered on.

That in mind, I've been thinking of leaving that for a weekend day where I have a really long time to play at once, so I can get through the whole thing without interruption. In the mean time I'll probably start practicing Battletoads & DD, or start a game of Faria, Battle of Olympus, Startropics, or Little Ninja Bros. Any opinions?

Have you done LIttle Ninja Brothers before? I've done it a couple of times, but I've definitely been feeling like it's time to do it again. I'll leave it to you if it's your first time, but I was probably going to start it in the next week.

I was mildly interested in doing Faria for the second time again this year. StarTropics I've done once, and still don't have much desire to revisit it. Battle of Olympus I tried for a couple of hours either last year or the year before, and it didn't have much appeal for me.

If you or @Gaia Gensouki have yet to do Dragon Warrior IV, I strongly recommend it. I did it two years ago, and I had a ball. It's long as hell, but it's so much fun. Every 8-bit RPG enthusiast needs to play it through at least once.

42 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Have you done LIttle Ninja Brothers before? I've done it a couple of times, but I've definitely been feeling like it's time to do it again. I'll leave it to you if it's your first time, but I was probably going to start it in the next week.

I was mildly interested in doing Faria for the second time again this year. StarTropics I've done once, and still don't have much desire to revisit it. Battle of Olympus I tried for a couple of hours either last year or the year before, and it didn't have much appeal for me.

If you or @Gaia Gensouki have yet to do Dragon Warrior IV, I strongly recommend it. I did it two years ago, and I had a ball. It's long as hell, but it's so much fun. Every 8-bit RPG enthusiast needs to play it through at least once.

I've beaten all of these before, except StarTropics. A lot of people rave about it so it's been on my radar for a while but I've never gotten around to it. I've done Little Ninja Bros once a few years ago, but it was all 2-player. I'm not sure how much that affects the balance of the game, but I remember some of the bosses being brutal with 2 players, hopefully they give them half the health/damage when you're single player, oof.

Let me know whatever you pick and I'll take it/them off my list so we don't duplicate efforts on some of these longer games.

Edit: I've also never beaten BT&DD.

Edited by Khromak

34 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I've beaten all of these before, except StarTropics. A lot of people rave about it so it's been on my radar for a while but I've never gotten around to it. I've done Little Ninja Bros once a few years ago, but it was all 2-player. I'm not sure how much that affects the balance of the game, but I remember some of the bosses being brutal with 2 players, hopefully they give them half the health/damage when you're single player, oof.

Let me know whatever you pick and I'll take it/them off my list so we don't duplicate efforts on some of these longer games.

Edit: I've also never beaten BT&DD.

I will probably start Little Ninja Brothers in the next week, unless someone has already started or REALLY needs to do it for the first time. StarTropics is definitely worth doing once, but I was disappointed with how cheap the level design was for a first-party Nintendo game.

I've played Dragon Warrior IV before and really liked it, except for maybe the AI controlled companions in chapter V. But I would enjoy replaying it. And Khromak is right in that it's a very long game just for 7 points, but old school Dragon Warrior/Quest is so much fun that I don't care.

Out of the games mentioned above I haven't played Battle of Olympus and Little Ninja Bros. yet, out of which BoO seems like the most fun. But there's a few other shorter games that I could play while chipping away at DW IV.

Xexyz is done.

I was struggling with the dragon boss, Horrza. Luckily, I found a YouTuber who found an easy-to-reach safe spot. You just line up with his lower gun when he enters from the right, move all the way left, and just lay into him. He'll shoot you once almost instantly when he enters, but doesn't seem to shoot at that height again in the fight.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 547/677
Events Helper · Posted

Willow is Done.  Will update with 2 videos later, had to take a break and eat dinner in between dieing a whole bunch for some stupid mistakes during general kael and watching the madmartigan scene over and over........Such a long scene.......

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1