IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Just beat Castelian... if you want my NSFW review here it is:

Spoiler

FUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!  This game pissed me off to no end.  Its so easy but its so bogged down from such shitty controls, weird hitboxes and unfair randomness.  The game really isn't that bad (I used a video playthru) but the last level is just so incredibly unfair for what they ask of you, and you have to learn to jump at the VERY edge of the platform and sometimes the game eats your input and you fall to the ground.  At the end you have to perform these jumps MULTIPLE times.  God daamn... its only 8 levels and not super long but this is a game you have to be one with the controls.  UGGGGGH I NEED A BREAK.  I actually threw my controller against the floor and turned it off in frustration when I reached almost the end and time ran out, I was probably 30 seconds away from finishing it earlier today.

• Haha 3

Castlequest is done, I quite enjoy this game but I would have major anxiety if I didn't have a guide because I'd be petrified of soft locking myself by spending keys the wrong way. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I'm terrified all the same. With a guide though, it's fun

20240205_211248.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Castlequest is done, I quite enjoy this game but I would have major anxiety if I didn't have a guide because I'd be petrified of soft locking myself by spending keys the wrong way. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I'm terrified all the same.

It's definitely possible to soft-lock yourself in various rooms, which I've done to myself in years past before finally resorting to a guide to beat the game like you did.

Anyway, I couldn't beat this game with @the_wizard_666 on Saturday after we spent all evening playing it, but the practice must've paid off, because I was able to knock off Kung Fu Heroes in less than an hour and a half today, and I'm really, really glad to be done with it foreva... 🥳

KFH-1.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Just beat Castelian... if you want my NSFW review here it is:

Hide contents

FUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!  This game pissed me off to no end.  Its so easy but its so bogged down from such shitty controls, weird hitboxes and unfair randomness.  The game really isn't that bad (I used a video playthru) but the last level is just so incredibly unfair for what they ask of you, and you have to learn to jump at the VERY edge of the platform and sometimes the game eats your input and you fall to the ground.  At the end you have to perform these jumps MULTIPLE times.  God daamn... its only 8 levels and not super long but this is a game you have to be one with the controls.  UGGGGGH I NEED A BREAK.  I actually threw my controller against the floor and turned it off in frustration when I reached almost the end and time ran out, I was probably 30 seconds away from finishing it earlier today.

Nice job!  I was planning to do this one again... eventually.  If I felt more competitive at "Beat The NES" I would probably take a note like: never beat Castelian for the points.  Always let someone else destroy their overall resolve by going after it instead.  Pretty much everything you've said about it is dead on but for some reason I'm still convinced that I really like this game..  I even have it CIB for Atari 7800...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Anyway, I couldn't beat this game with @the_wizard_666 on Saturday after we spent all evening playing it, but the practice must've paid off, because I was able to knock off Kung Fu Heroes in less than an hour and a half today, and I'm really, really glad to be done with it foreva... 🥳

I gave this one a go a couple of years ago and got relatively close to the end using warps, but IIRC the last warp I intended to take just wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Either that or I didn't do something correctly, I have no idea really, but I ended up on tough level that did me in and haven't tried again since..

1 minute ago, PII said:

I gave this one a go a couple of years ago and got relatively close to the end using warps, but IIRC the last warp I intended to take just wasn't where it was supposed to be.  Either that or I didn't do something correctly, I have no idea really, but I ended up on tough level that did me in and haven't tried again since..

I make a point to complete games without warps, but even disregarding that, playing through the earlier levels in Kung-Fu Heroes gets you a bunch of items that are mandatory to be able to kill some enemies, so warps are probably your enemy in this game.  For example, you need the sword to be able to beat certain dudes on the final and toughest level of the game (8-4), so if you end up warping to the end without picking up the sword, you're shooting yourself in the foot, assuming it doesn't give you the items automatically when you warp (I've never warped in this game so I don't really know).  Plus, once you get decent, the whole game is a joke except for four levels: 7-4 and the 8-2, 8-3,  8-4 gauntlet, so I think it's better and easier to just play it warpless and get all the items while honing your skills...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Hey @scaryice, I just thought of something.  We had tried and failed to beat Kung Fu Heroes together, which has a bunch of pain points.  I was wondering your thoughts on the hypothetical situation where we actually pulled it off.  See, splitting the base points makes sense, but the pain points are meant as a reflection of the "pain" of having to complete them.  As such, would those points be awarded in full, due to both parties enduring the same amount of "pain" to beat it, or would those points be split as well?  Like either scenario works, but it might be interesting to hear both your thoughts and those of the others here, before a precedent needs to be established.

Right now, there's exactly one point for every year a game wasn't beaten. I hate to just make points up out of thin air. I mean, all of the points are made up, but yeah... I would have to just say no, and just split them like the normal points. Technically, you would be sharing the pain, right?

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I make a point to complete games without warps, but even disregarding that, playing through the earlier levels in Kung-Fu Heroes gets you a bunch of items that are mandatory to be able to kill some enemies, so warps are probably your enemy in this game.  For example, you need the sword to be able to beat certain dudes on the final and toughest level of the game (8-4), so if you end up warping to the end without picking up the sword, you're shooting yourself in the foot, assuming it doesn't give you the items automatically when you warp (I've never warped in this game so I don't really know).  Plus, once you get decent, the whole game is a joke except for four levels: 7-4 and the 8-2, 8-3,  8-4 gauntlet, so I think it's better and easier to just play it warpless and get all the items while honing your skills...

I thought that warping was the optimal way, since you can't get more than 9 lives. You can get everything you need via the warp route, although that assumes you're looking up where everything is - blind would be rough.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Right now, there's exactly one point for every year a game wasn't beaten. I hate to just make points up out of thin air. I mean, all of the points are made up, but yeah... I would have to just say no, and just split them like the normal points. Technically, you would be sharing the pain, right?

Yeah, I thought that would be the way to go, I just think about things and it was something that I could see working either way, but figured it would be worth establishing ahead of time.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 514/677

Yesterday was a good day for the hopes of completing the entire list. All four of those games cleared seem really tough. (I've never done any of them.)

Kung Fu Heroes is especially rough, even though a tough-ass like @Dr. Morbis is going to be nonchalant about beating it. Even The Mexican Runner resorted to using the forbidden continue code for his completion of the game, which was disqualified here. Those 14 points were well earned. 

Castlequest and Castelian are really nice to be done with, as already discussed above.  It's no surprise to see how many pain points were attached to those. And 3D Worldrunner is probably the hardest, seldom-beaten game that we've somehow cleared every year. It's a common game that a lot of people played, but it seemed like most players enjoyed the novelty of its graphics for a level or two and then gave up on it. 

10 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Yesterday was a good day for the hopes of completing the entire list. All four of those games cleared seem really tough. (I've never done any of them.)

Kung Fu Heroes is especially rough, even though a tough-ass like @Dr. Morbis is going to be nonchalant about beating it. Even The Mexican Runner resorted to using the forbidden continue code for his completion of the game, which was disqualified here. Those 14 points were well earned. 

Castlequest and Castelian are really nice to be done with, as already discussed above.  It's no surprise to see how many pain points were attached to those. And 3D Worldrunner is probably the hardest, seldom-beaten game that we've somehow cleared every year. It's a common game that a lot of people played, but it seemed like most players enjoyed the novelty of its graphics for a level or two and then gave up on it. 

A few years ago I made a real attempt to beat Kung Fu Heroes without continues and gave up after two weeks. The difficulty near the end is brutal.

10 hours ago, PII said:

Nice job!  I was planning to do this one again... eventually.  If I felt more competitive at "Beat The NES" I would probably take a note like: never beat Castelian for the points.  Always let someone else destroy their overall resolve by going after it instead.  Pretty much everything you've said about it is dead on but for some reason I'm still convinced that I really like this game..  I even have it CIB for Atari 7800...

I think the frustrating aspect of it, is that theres a guise that its a really easy game.  I did like it when I was playing it at first, but they just require too much from the player.  It would have been a lot better if it was more puzzle based, than platform based at the end.  Thats really where my frustration came from, the 'reactionary' stuff, like jumping, or shooting.

EDIT: I hate Goonies II but I'm gonna use a guide.  What I hate about it is its obtuseness but its another I don't remember being really hard, just confusing.

Edited by guitarzombie

I have been working on Break Time: The National Pool Tour because Im apparently a glutton for punishment. The pool playing aspect is fine. Not great, but fine. The waiting for your opponent aspect is torture. Your opponent spends a LOT of time thinking. Then, after a long period of time thinking, he or she will say something like "grumble grumble," or "Im not sure," or my favorite, "Im starved." Then he or she will go back to thinking again. The eyes on the opponent's face blink here and there, so you have that to watch while you wait. There so many useless prompts to click through, so you cant really walk away and just play here and there. An actual game of pool against a person who spends way too much time thinking would be faster. 

I have made it to the last opponent and have a password for him. But he is beyond ridiculously tough. I may be stuck for a long time. You have to beat each opponent 2 out of 3 games and you cant save after winning one. This really eliminates the possibility of winning with lucky RNG. I have won game 1 against him several times only to have him wipe the floor with me games 2 and 3. Its a pickle, but Im too far in to give up

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Puss N Boots is done.

I wasn't planning to do this one again this year, but it's ridiculous to see it still on the board this late.

Damn, I was hoping that would've outlasted Dragon Fighter.  Would've been fun to see the 3 point games done with it still there.  

Anyway, I'm half way through Gilligan's Island,  and will likely get it finished later. Just have some shit to do first.

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I think the frustrating aspect of it, is that theres a guise that its a really easy game.  I did like it when I was playing it at first, but they just require too much from the player.  It would have been a lot better if it was more puzzle based, than platform based at the end.  Thats really where my frustration came from, the 'reactionary' stuff, like jumping, or shooting.

Yeah, you really gotta get every move down = another memorization game most people don't care much for, but I find it too unique not to enjoy...

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

The waiting for your opponent aspect is torture. Your opponent spends a LOT of time thinking. Then, after a long period of time thinking, he or she will say something like "grumble grumble," or "Im not sure," or my favorite, "Im starved." Then he or she will go back to thinking again. The eyes on the opponent's face blink here and there, so you have that to watch while you wait. There so many useless prompts to click through, so you cant really walk away and just play here and there. An actual game of pool against a person who spends way too much time thinking would be faster. 

It's sounds like they tried too hard to simulate the actual experience of playing someone else in a bar.  The worst is when you're playing doubles and the other two guys take forever every single time, like one guy has to get out his slide-ruler and the other guy has to throw his graphing calculator on the table and then they have to confer and compare notes on their respective geometries/trigonometries, then perform a bit of Calculus together, then more conferring and finally after you've drank the better part of your beer waiting for them, finally, one of 'em decides to actually propel the Cueball...

• Haha 1

I'm finally done with Destiny of an Emperor! This game is a clear case of overstaying its welcome. Had it ended a bit sooner I would have looked back on it fondly as a good RPG, but the last quarter or so of this game absolutely drags on forever, more specifically the war against Wu and Wei. Near the end it turns into a huge endurance marathon, where you have to go through 2 dungeons, then fight against two bosses, one of which is extremely difficult, and past that there is even more fighting until you get to a resting location.

The fights against Si Ma Yi have been absolutely brutal. Not only does he have a huge amount of units (HP), but he also castes a lot of powerful spells, that hit your entire party, and he can completely heal himself! I got major traumatic flashbacks to the final boss of The Bard's Tale, another good RPG that was ruined by its endgame. Anyway, the trick is, to use sort of a mut on Si Ma Yi when his HP are low, so that he can't heal himself. But you have only so little MP in the game, especially after the gauntlet of dungeons, tough enemies and bosses. So my first two attempts ended in faulire and I had to go all the way to back to this boss fight again, through both dungeons. This sucked. By this time I just wanted the game to be done.

Anyway, I ended up beating Si Ma Yi, but of course he had to retreat and come back later with even bigger armies. after some more battling it was time for the final boss gauntlet which consisted of two fights, that tended to drag on for way too long, because the bosses could completely heal themselves again! But I had so little MP left, that I couldn't mute Si Ma Yi during the final confrontation. Luckily, the game had mercy on me and he didn't heal himself, which would have been my end as I was already out of MP.

Another difficulty of the game were actually the many, many Chinese names. I'm not really familiar with Chinese and I'm bad at remembering names as well, so this was an unlucky combo. They were throwing people's names and place names at you in rapid-fire succession, that after a while I just gave up trying to learn who is who. There is also a ridiculous amount of tacticians that you can recruit. I think you can keep roughly 60 in your reserve and that was filled up quickly. But most of them were actually really useless. So the only point of recruiting them is making sure, that they don't come up as enemies again. Because if you don't recruit them, they will come back later with more troops and it's easier to fight against nameless rebels or bandits rather than fighting against tacticians with huge armies.

Overall the end soured my experience a little or I would have given an emphatic recommendation, but it just went on and on, plus the difficulty skyrocketed. Still, it's by no means a dud and worth a playthrough, but I don't see myself revisiting it very soon.

Destiny of an Emperor.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Shit, is continuing in Kung-Fu Heroes actually not allowed here, because I used continues on my run.  I know codes aren't allowed for games, but does holding A when you press start on game over actually count as a code?  I don't use codes for my personal NES completions list, which was my reason for knocking this game out in the first place, and it didn't even occur to me to not count continues when it's just holding down A.

To me continuing in Kung-Fu Heroes is analagous to continuing in Guerrilla War, where you have to press and hold the buttons on game over to continue.  I checked the GW manual, and continuing is not mentioned in the manual, so is continuing in GW disqualifed here as well?  Likewise, Wiz and I used continues on Gauntlet II, even though they are not mentioned in the manual or on the title screen options: you just press A on a game over to continue, so if that counts as a code, then should our Gauntlet II run be disqualified as well?!?

Anyway, all of this is to say that: for full disclosure @scaryice, I used continues on my last two runs, Guantlet II and Kung-Fu Heroes, via methods not mentioned in their respective manuals or on the title screen options of either game, so feel free to reject either or both runs as you feel necessary.  I would ask, though, if either run is removed, for an explanation as to how they differ from continuing in games like Guerrilla War in terms of the no-code rules for this thread, just for the sake of clarity moving forward...

Kiwi Krazy is done again. I'm sure I said it last time but the hardest part of this game imo is level 4-4. I barely died on the final world at all. This one was a nail biter though, I beat the final boss on my last life and I think my last continue. First time reaching him though, so my blood was pumping for sure.

20240206_212634.jpg

Side note: I have a notepad list of the games I'd like to beat this year, including a bunch I've beaten before and a handful I haven't beaten and as of today that notepad no longer scrolls (at the resolution it starts at). How's that for progress? Looks like 26 games left...13 of which I have never beaten before. That's some nice synergy too.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Shit, is continuing in Kung-Fu Heroes actually not allowed here, because I used continues on my run.  I know codes aren't allowed for games, but does holding A when you press start on game over actually count as a code?  I don't use codes for my personal NES completions list, which was my reason for knocking this game out in the first place, and it didn't even occur to me to not count continues when it's just holding down A.

To me continuing in Kung-Fu Heroes is analagous to continuing in Guerrilla War, where you have to press and hold the buttons on game over to continue.  I checked the GW manual, and continuing is not mentioned in the manual, so is continuing in GW disqualifed here as well?  Likewise, Wiz and I used continues on Gauntlet II, even though they are not mentioned in the manual or on the title screen options: you just press A on a game over to continue, so if that counts as a code, then should our Gauntlet II run be disqualified as well?!?

Anyway, all of this is to say that: for full disclosure @scaryice, I used continues on my last two runs, Guantlet II and Kung-Fu Heroes, via methods not mentioned in their respective manuals or on the title screen options of either game, so feel free to reject either or both runs as you feel necessary.  I would ask, though, if either run is removed, for an explanation as to how they differ from continuing in games like Guerrilla War in terms of the no-code rules for this thread, just for the sake of clarity moving forward...

Gauntlet 2 prompts you to continue, even playing it solo.  Iirc, so does Guerilla War.  Kung Fu Heroes would be like ABBA in Ikari 1 and 2.  It isn't mentioned, and wouldn't reasonably be assumed to exist either within the game or by reading the manual.  That's the distinction. 

Edit: I also want to add that not allowing continues is silly to me, and should be an exemption from the cheat codes rule.  The goal is to beat the games, not to master them.  I don't feel like continuing violates the spirit of the games in any way, unlike codes for extra lives or level selects do.

Edited by the_wizard_666