IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 504/677

I grabbed a few games to test and wow, I forgot I really liked Stanley: The search for Dr. Livingston.  I wanted to just play a little and it sucked me in.  I beat it a while ago but remembered very little.  I didn't remember it being very hard but it's slightly challenging, has passwords, very generous with continuing and has light metroidvania elements.  I'm digging it!  Ill prob beat it by tomorrow (it is a bit long) but I strongly suggest people give this one a shot.

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I grabbed a few games to test and wow, I forgot I really liked Stanley: The search for Dr. Livingston.  I wanted to just play a little and it sucked me in.  I beat it a while ago but remembered very little.  I didn't remember it being very hard but it's slightly challenging, has passwords, very generous with continuing and has light metroidvania elements.  I'm digging it!  Ill prob beat it by tomorrow (it is a bit long) but I strongly suggest people give this one a shot.

Yeah, Metroid is weak.  Stanley is the best MetroidVania on the NES!

• Haha 1

Just beat smash tv, in my first try, without even looking at maps. This game's for babies! In fact, the game said I might be the best smash tv player ever. Not sure how it would know that, but I'll take it

Edit: I thought I would try this game on Playchoice via Powerpak, but unfortunately since the game thinks you're holding the controllers sideways, the joysticks don't line up with screen directions. It might be possible to re-train your brain, or I guess you could re-wire your joystick, but it would be very difficult. I was really hoping for true twin-stick action.

20240204_164057.jpg

Edited by Khromak
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Just beat smash tv, in my first try, without even looking at maps. This game's for babies! In fact, the game said I might be the best smash tv player ever. Not sure how it would know that, but I'll take it

Smash TV is easy? Is this some kind of joke I'm not getting? I remember giving up on the NES version because of the awkward controls with a single controller. The SNES version was much more accessible and even that got very difficult later on. Definitely not something for babies or it would be a 1 or 2 point game.

Anyway, I continued a little with Destiny of an Emperor and am currently fighting against Wu. It probably shouldn't take too long to finish off the rest of the game. But who knows. Maybe there'll be some insane grind at the very end.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Gauntlet II has been completed through Level 100 by @the_wizard_666 and myself, so you can split the seven points with 4 for me and 3 for him, just so we don't have any dispicable half points in our tallies... 😛

Gauntlet II.JPG

I am confirming that I am okay with the point split.  I hate half points 😛 We actually discussed it before we played it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Edit: I thought I would try this game on Playchoice via Powerpak, but unfortunately since the game thinks you're holding the controllers sideways, the joysticks don't line up with screen directions. It might be possible to re-train your brain, or I guess you could re-wire your joystick, but it would be very difficult. I was really hoping for true twin-stick action.

20240204_164057.jpg

Jeez, for a guy who doesn't care much for shooters whupping Smash TV on the first go is pretty impressive.  Nice going!

19 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Smash TV is easy? Is this some kind of joke I'm not getting? I remember giving up on the NES version because of the awkward controls with a single controller

Oh the controls are terrible with a single controller. I ALWAYS play it with 2 controllers, it's actually amazing that way. I've done it with a friend a few years ago using 4 controllers (2 each) and it was a blast.

12 minutes ago, PII said:

Jeez, for a guy who doesn't care much for shooters whupping Smash TV on the first go is pretty impressive.  Nice going!

Thanks! This one is actually pretty forgiving with the powerups, they drop constantly. It also helps that most of the enemies don't actually shoot anything. I have a fair bit of experience with Smash TV, I've beaten it 3 or 4 times now I think. It's definitely not too tough, at least for me. Maybe it's because it's less about memorization and more about reactions?

I ended up losing lives on the bosses mostly, it was fairly rare that I would die in one of the rooms, and it seemed like most (all?) rooms spawned an extra life. There were a couple occasions where a 1up would spawn when I was already at 9 so it went to waste.

5 minutes ago, Khromak said:

. There were a couple occasions where a 1up would spawn when I was already at 9 so it went to waste.

I've always detested that when I finish the "2nd mission" with 9 lives the game dials that back to 5 lives to start the "3rd mission."  Still, challenging as NES Smash TV is it pales in comparison to the difficulty of its Arcade brother.  That one has got to be one of the all time quarter munchers.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Gauntlet II has been completed through Level 100 by @the_wizard_666 and myself, so you can split the seven points with 4 for me and 3 for him, just so we don't have any dispicable half points in our tallies... 😛

Any chance that y'all are going to take on the original Gauntlet, too?

31 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Any chance that y'all are going to take on the original Gauntlet, too?

We probably won't get the chance for at least another week, and that's assuming we decide that we're feeling it that day.  If you're considering going for it, don't let us stop you.

The biggest concern I see on the board is Ikari Warriors.  The game takes forever and can be soft locked near the end, so it's damn hard even using ABBA.  Without it, I don't know if we have anyone both willing and able to pull it off.

Just finished Stanley.  I was having a lot of trouble at the end because I kept going in the final temples tube and not being shot out.  Then I realized I forgot the Iron Breastplate and as soon as I touched the bottom of that tube it shot me out.  Fun game!  Recommend it.

OH!  I forgot to mention the silly ending haha.  Just in case you wanna play it heres a spoiler:

Spoiler

You spend the whole game looking for Dr. Livingston, when you find him and ask if he wants to leave, he says no and you fly back home, making the whole adventure pointless haha.

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Haha 1

Just to add some info about Gauntlet II, in case you ever feel like updating the pastebin file, or in case anyone else here is wondering when to call this game for their own completion lists, Wiz and I played through to Level 111 before we quit and didn't notice any mazes repeating in the first 106, then from 107 to 111, we recognized all five levels as repeats in a row.  Also, not coincidentally, Aschultz has 117 mazes mapped out for it over on gamefaqs, of which eleven are secret bonus rooms, leaving 106 standard level mazes drawn out in total.

Taking this all in, my conclusion is thus: Gauntlet II throws the same first five levels at you in order every game no matter what, then from Level 6 to Level 106 gives you each new maze in random order until it has exhausted its stack, after which it begins repeating all the mazes you have already seen to that point starting with Level 107.  Ergo, Level 107 is the actual loop point that needs to be reached for "completing" Gauntlet II.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 509/677

Hey @scaryice, I just thought of something.  We had tried and failed to beat Kung Fu Heroes together, which has a bunch of pain points.  I was wondering your thoughts on the hypothetical situation where we actually pulled it off.  See, splitting the base points makes sense, but the pain points are meant as a reflection of the "pain" of having to complete them.  As such, would those points be awarded in full, due to both parties enduring the same amount of "pain" to beat it, or would those points be split as well?  Like either scenario works, but it might be interesting to hear both your thoughts and those of the others here, before a precedent needs to be established.

Also, it took a few tries, but Track and Field is in the books.  Played two and a half loops, and got every world record except Skeet Shooting, which I had a stone bitch of a time qualifying for.  I do wish it had a practice option for the individual events, but all told, not a bad game.

EDIT: Brain farted...I also didn't get the record on the High Jump.  As there's no way to set the bar, you only jump for the qualifying score, so it takes until the 6th loop to tie the record.  So obviously I missed that as I'm so bad at Skeet Shooting that getting that far is highly unlikely 😛

Edited by the_wizard_666

18 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm at the end of Iron Sword. A game that I never made it past the first level when I was kid. I can't imagine any kid under the age of 10 ever beating this game. 

I beat it when I was 8. For what it's worth I didn't have many other games to play so I didn't have much choice other than to stick with it.

• Wow! 1

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I beat it when I was 8. For what it's worth I didn't have many other games to play so I didn't have much choice other than to stick with it.

Lol, you were just hoping for Fabio to pop up so you could polish his sword.

3d worldrunner is done! I did quite well this year, got to the end of world 5 before needing to continue, only used a couple continues on 6 (hate that world), deathless on 7. 8 was rough but once I figured out where the first jump was (using the background) and could continuously farm the 1up there, it was over. 

Don't think I died on any bosses until the final one, who got me a couple times. 

20240205_185252.jpg

• Like 1