IGNORED

Game Debate #183: Baldur's Gate

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Tried playing this game on multiple occasions, including on its release.

Every single time I've stopped relatively early due to how dreadfully boring it is. So my rating really isn't the most reliable - but if it were really any good it probably shouldn't actively make me not feel like playing it 🤣 Personally I prefer video games being fun. 

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
12 hours ago, Brickman said:

The only thing better than BG is BG2 and the only thing better than BG2 is BG3 (apparently, I haven’t played 3 yet).

BG3 is an amazing game, which is very different because of the gap in years between games. Ever since Dragon Age, there's been this obsession with romances in D&D video games being rather front and center and that's the case here. It's not all-encompassing, but playing the way I do you'd never expect me to run into any hot and bothered party members, but half of them throw themselves on me and the other half express their discontent with my having apparently made myself beholden to another (somehow?).

I'm not some prude but I don't play Baldur's Gate (or Dragon Age, or Mass Effect... etc.) to woo or be wooed. I like traditional RPG gameplay and deep stories. I realize that a romance can be a very deep storyline, it's just not what I'm looking for in my games, I'm looking for high fantasy and a lot of high fantasy stories lately (among other genres) have had an obsession with realism and it's not as great for escapism.

That's about my only complaint though. 

8/10, I played this like 20 years ago and used mods to do things like increase movement speed and increase the stack limit past 20. I’m a dirty cheater. I still remember it being pretty hard at the end. Neverwinter Nights kind of blew the socks off this era of the genre for me, and I don’t know if it’s ever been surpassed in sheer quantity of user mods. It’s like D&D Mario Maker.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:52 AM, Sumez said:

Tried playing this game on multiple occasions, including on its release.

Every single time I've stopped relatively early due to how dreadfully boring it is. So my rating really isn't the most reliable - but if it were really any good it probably shouldn't actively make me not feel like playing it 🤣 Personally I prefer video games being fun. 

Eh you're not alone, I took part in this one and another in a bundle deal some years back on GoG when it had this huge slice.  I tried, twice to like this one and its sequel as well.  They're just so so painfully slow and a bit clunky.  I guess I'm spoiled by BG Dark Alliance 1&2 PC/Console(re-released in HD recently) and even Diablo too.  It just actively makes me bored using it, it's almost like taking digital sleeping pills it's that bad.  I don't mind slow, but something is fundamentally wrong with that game and how it plays as it is a fun vampire.  I've played worse, but not a lot, so I gave it 1 more point than you.

One of the defining games of my early years getting into PC gaming. While the game shows its age today, it is still very playable and (IMHO) still quite fun. Baldur's Gate 2 is an updated and improved version in just about every way and Baldur's Gate 3 is quite possibly the pinnacle of the CRPG genre. So, by comparison, the original game may not be the one to choose but it is still responsible for being the most authentic digital D&D experience of its day and created many memorable characters and moments. And I'll never forget discovering the fan-made "Lewd Hobbit" hero pack, complete with unforgettable voice lines.

8 out of 10 for the original (9 for BG2 and a straight 10 for BG3).

"Magic is impressive...but now Minsc leads! Swords for EVERYONE!"

• Haha 1