IGNORED

NES games difficulty compared to modern standards

BlackVega

On 12/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, mbd39 said:

Bayou Billy would be much better regarded had Konami kept the US difficulty closer to the Japanese version. Especially the driving stages!

You know the expression "jack of all trades, master of none"?  This is the most perfect example of that on the NES.  See they try to have beat 'em up, light gun, and driving in one game...but ends up with a rather mediocre product over all.  Though I suppose it can be worse when you try to put three genres of music into one song...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, Brickman said:

Good read. I’ve read another article where a dad broke it down by age range. So like 5-6 they only played Atari, 6-7 NES etc. 

I think if I ever had a kid I’d do the same thing. It’s how I grew up loving classic film, my parents and grandparents would put on a lot of B&W films.

That's a good way to do it, too.

You gotta start from the ground up. Same with film, too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, JamesRobot said:

A lot of this type of difficulty comes from transition of video games from the arcade to the home.  Whereas gameplay was really designed around bilking kids out of as many quarters as possible.  Giving just enough progress to encourage the player to keep feeding coins to the machine.  Devs just used the existing arcade template in the early days of the home console market.

In the NES era we start to see some consideration for the home experience with more unlimited continues, progress saving via battery or codes, proper endings, and elimination of score as the primary goal of the proficient player.  It's super rare to see a score display on modern AAA titles.  Just crank the difficulty up a notch if the game is to easy.

Are there modern big-budget games with scores in them? I feel like that died decades ago now, aside from intentional anachronism (ie. New Super Mario Bros and successors).