IGNORED

The 2024 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted

I've officially played/beaten 100 total games so far this year. A few I gave up on cuz I wasn't enjoying them (or other things came up) but for the most part I've at least cleared the games, and a few of them I "completed" based on the criteria on RetroAchievements (i.e. earned all achievements). It's been fun jumping around and trying new things.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 7

I'm currently sitting at 99 games beaten: 80 NES games and 19 Game Boy games, although the GB games were mostly just short and easy palate cleansers after making my way through some tough as nails NES games. Unfortunately, almost none of them were on my backlog. I'm hoping for the NES challenge to be done a bit earlier this year, so that I can focus more on the backlog. We're currently at 601/677.

That being said, I at least beat Destiny of an Emperor and actually wanted to do a write-up on it, but somehow kept delaying it more and more until I kinda forgot what I wanted to write. I would probably give it maybe a 7 out of 10. I had some good fun with this game most of the time, but it eventually became really repetitive and at times a bit unfair. I might return to this game at some point in the future, but it's no Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, which I can play over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 3

What to say about Phantasy Star 2.

I had the Phantasy Star Collection for GBA as a teenager and got quite a ways into the first game until I got hopelessly lost, put the game down for a while, and couldn't remember what I had done by the time I got back to it. I never put more than a few minutes into 2 or 3 at the time.

A couple of years ago, I picked up the Switch version of the original and finally saw it through to completion. I enjoyed my time with it, especially with the quality of life features of that port.

I really wish there was a similar port for PS2.

As it stands, this game is a grind; the dungeons are way too long and confusing, there's not enough information in the game itself (item/spell/equipment descriptions would have been so helpful), I could go on.

At the same time, I enjoyed most of my time with it. I turned to maps and even guides for some dungeons to make the experience a bit easier on myself. I enjoyed the battle system well enough. There's some excellent music. The fact that this game came out 2 months before the original Final Fantasy on NES in North America kind of blows my mind (though this game was obviously developed and released in Japan after FF). It feels ambitious and I'm sure it would have been impressive upon release, but it's also very much a product of its age and hard to recommend to anyone that doesn't mind the flaws of RPGs from this era.

At the end of the day, I'm glad I've played it and I may revisit it someday, but not anytime too soon. I've heard PS3 is a bit of a black sheep in the series. It's on my backlog as well, but probably for 2025 or 2026 and then PS4 sometime after that.

IMG_4112.jpg

• Like 7

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, greenthunder said:

I love the idea of that one bit in Bravely Default, but I can definitely agree it could have been executed better. Do note the only thing you have to do for each loop is the crystals; you can just skip the Asterisk refights if you don't want to deal with them.

Do they not lead to a job unlock? (like every other blue quest indicator)

57 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Do they not lead to a job unlock? (like every other blue quest indicator)

Nope, unless you didn't have them before (which I don't know if it's possible). The indicator is just to show they're ~there~.

Spoiler

In the final iteration, the Asterisks do get interesting since they'll pair up and become optional hard/challenge battles.

Editorials Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Sumez said:

So what you're all saying is I should remove Bravely Default from my backlog? 😬

It's definitely a great version of the classic Final Fantasy combat and jobs systems.  And I think the story has a lot of potential if it sticks the landing.  But beating this thing is gonna be painful.  And now all I can think is how Trails 2 and 3 and the other JRPGs are just gonna keep getting pushed out if I don't beat this sooner rather than later and.... yeah.  Kinda regretting putting it on the list this year.

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, Sumez said:

So what you're all saying is I should remove Bravely Default from my backlog? 😬

I really liked it right up until around where Reed's at, and it got so repetitive that I dropped and then sold it.

I actually really loved Bravely Default and it still is one of my favorite games of the 2010s. Part of that is the amazing job system, but also the plot twist near the end. It blew my mind and the final boss battle was so amazing and satisfying. So I don't really get the hate.

Also, don't most JRPGs stick the landing? Didn't know that was a thing. Or maybe we have a different understanding of what kinds of endings stick the landing. I have to think reeally hard about what JRPGs had terrible or disappointing endings.

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Have you ever played a Japanese RPG that manages to stick the landing of its story? 🤨

8 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I actually really loved Bravely Default and it still is one of my favorite games of the 2010s. Part of that is the amazing job system, but also the plot twist near the end. It blew my mind and the final boss battle was so amazing and satisfying. So I don't really get the hate.

Also, don't most JRPGs stick the landing? Didn't know that was a thing. Or maybe we have a different understanding of what kinds of endings stick the landing. I have to think reeally hard about what JRPGs had terrible or disappointing endings.

Sure - the kids save the world using the power of the natural elements and restore balance.  The End.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I have similar sentiment, though do I get why the hate exists. As I said before, I do like the concept and personally didn't mind going through the loops, but I definitely understand why it's unpopular. It makes sense narratively, but it's kinda awkward playing out the same flying around the functionally same world, fight the same bosses several times. Maybe if they leaned more into the parallel worlds things by playing up differences between worlds and carrying that over into the boss battles, it would have worked better. The stuff after definitely does get more fun, but it's kinda person dependent on whether it's worth it or not.

As for my games, still coming up on the end of Rogue Galaxy. Thought I was at the last few chapters, seems like there's 1 or 2 more. My biggest complaint as one who likes suffering and filling out logs is I really wish weapons levelled up faster or there were less of them. Admittedly, part of the issue is me being completely stupid and not realizing the analyze option exists (even though I read it in the tutorial bit), so I didn't get to analyzing weps till midgame, far past using low level weps. But to be fair to myself, the char I like playing as has a weird ratio of buyable low level (1-10) to not (20+) level weps, about 7:5 or so. Though weapons levelling up faster would mean I'd have to stop and open my inventory to analyze weps more often, hmm. I've hit what the game counts as 100% for weapon fusions (100 weapons analyzed, 50 fused), so I could just stop, but no, I hate myself. I took a break from the story to run around and open chests because I realized I completely skipped the first chest key and in turn, the second and third keys.

Ace Attorney wise, I'm on the last day of the 5th case. I'm mildly curious if this was added in a rerelease or something, because it plays differently from the other 4 cases, and I felt like I wasn't hitting all things I needed to do with NPCs during the investigation sections as consistently as I was during 2-4. A lot of the times I would talk to a NPC, leave, realize I wasn't finished dealing with them and then had to half guess which evidence to present to them.

• Like 2