IGNORED

The Pinball Thread

Whoa, fancy! I really like early 80s Ballys. Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, Frontier, Fathom, etc. I'm not a huge multiball fan and think modern games just take too long but I do like some of the really crazy ones like Iron Maiden and Wizard of Oz. We have a pinball club here but no one posts in it 🙌

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sumez said:

"collecting" pinball sounds like an insane thing only for people with way too much dough to spend. 

But I do have a White Water table, I love that game as well. 

Need lots o space for that and a lot of patience cause pinball machines always need some kind of maintenance lol

7 minutes ago, Sumez said:

"collecting" pinball sounds like an insane thing only for people with way too much dough to spend. 

I recently sold a Future Spa to a guy who's "downsizing" to 60-70 games, but he wanted all the super widebody Bally games before he did 😳

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Haha ya, money and space. I have 4 machines, but WW was via a trade. I don't plan on going higher, though perhaps the occasional swap. I do love the titles I own though..

I love pinball, I collect quarters so I can play on location. Sadly there is not that many pinball machines in the area. Here are my favorites:

1.  Demo Man

2.  Total Nuclear

3.  NBA Fastbreak

4.  World Cup Soccer

5.  The Getaway (High Speed 2)

6.  Godzilla

7.  LOTR

8.  Iron Maiden

9.  Funhouse

10.  Jurassic Park

• Like 3

I've had Gold Ball and Pin-Bot, honestly wish I had kept the Gold Ball as it wasn't a pain to keep working right and honestly just was more fun even if it was more basic.  Pin-Bot became a burden so I sold it to someone I bumped into at the LAX here a couple years back, no regrets and he and his little kids ended up enjoying it.  I've been holding the money in an account for a replacement computer, then the flippin CCP got the world sick and prices got stupid so its been waiting.

They're fun, and if you don't have a notoriously finicky one which needs precise angles to get the basics to work as it should, they're worth the time if you have the space.  These days I'm just back to digital pinball, and this badass long tabletop Sonic the Hedgehog TOMY made table I picked up earlier this year locally.  It has oddly a lot in common with some early 80s pinball, a 'whirlwind' style spinner bowl, ramps, pop bumpers, and some other nice gimmicks to keep it fresh.

• Like 1

My top 10 would be similar to a lot of top 10s from people who like older games, so these are the top 10 games I'd pick to compete on from a tournament row.

1. Wheel of Fortune
  2. Volley
  3. Flash Gordon
  4. Jungle Queen
  5. Wizard of Oz
  6. Creature From the Black Lagoon
  7. Meteor
  8. Wizard
  9. Eight Ball Deluxe
  10. Quicksilver

Wheel of Fortune is so offbeat and challenging, no one ever wants to play it. Good players can walk away with practically zero points for the entire game if they don't get going in a mode or hit any lucky free spins. I love that in a game.

Volley has a kick ass number of shots worth making, and unintentionally rewards you for precision because if you hit two targets at once, the game will only register one. It's easy to understand, fair, fun, and short. Doesn't get better.

Flash Gordon, like WOF, will immediately weed out weak players and doesn't ever let you get comfortable with multiballs or ball saves. Three drop target banks, all of them matter. Pop bumpers right in the middle of the game to ensure if you flail randomly, you're just going to die. I can't look at this game without getting excited to play it.

Edited by DefaultGen

On 10/25/2023 at 10:31 PM, DefaultGen said:

Stern making a game with a super outdated theme that strictly appeals to wealthy boomers who casually drop $13k on brand new pinball machines for their basement? That sure doesn't sound right, hmmm.

It should be a Keith Elwin design as well...

On 10/26/2023 at 12:51 AM, DefaultGen said:

My top 10 would be similar to a lot of top 10s from people who like older games, so these are the top 10 games I'd pick to compete on from a tournament row.

1. Wheel of Fortune
  2. Volley
  3. Flash Gordon
  4. Jungle Queen
  5. Wizard of Oz
  6. Creature From the Black Lagoon
  7. Meteor
  8. Wizard
  9. Eight Ball Deluxe
  10. Quicksilver

Flash Gordon, like WOF, will immediately weed out weak players and doesn't ever let you get comfortable with multiballs or ball saves. Three drop target banks, all of them matter. Pop bumpers right in the middle of the game to ensure if you flail randomly, you're just going to die. I can't look at this game without getting excited to play it.

Flash gordon, like a lot of games from that era and before that, are brutal. This was actually the first pinball machine I ever worked on actually. If memory serves it was because of sound issues.

Another really fun one from that era (in my opinion) is Flight 2000. Love it to death.