IGNORED

Contra: Operation Galuga

CMR

1 hour ago, Link said:

What happened?

The fact that Wayforward haven't made anything else nearly as good since? 😛 They are great at game feel and presentation, but nothing else they have made has shown any of the qualities a good Contra game needs. 

From what I heard from insiders, the people who made C4 good eventually left the company to join the Shovel Knight team. 

Keep in mind, if you're putting a new game in the Contra franchise, you're putting yourself up for comparison with games like NES Contra, Contra 3, Hard Corps, Shattered Soldier and, well, Contra 4. That's a super high standard. 

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can you play this game with the NES style controller? 

Not sure, but even using the Switch Pro controller D-pad might be awkward. 

The NES controller is the greatest of all time for platformers, as it's D-pad and control was so tight.

Especially with a game like Contra and the dodging when you jump.

13 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Can you play this game with the NES style controller? 

You might need more buttons depending on the in game controls, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use the switch online NES controllers or 8BitDo ones

• Like 1

Between the "new" dash (I think Uprising had that too, right?) and hopefully other potential features such as weapon switching or aim lock, a NES style controller probably would be very ineffecient in this game. It seems unlikely they will design the game to work with only two buttons.

18 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Not sure, but even using the Switch Pro controller D-pad might be awkward. 

Yeah I was playing Super Cyborg on my Switch the other way with the pro controller - super recommended game for Contra fans btw, it mimicks the gameplay of the NES Contra games extremely well - and the imprecision of the "down" button really threw me off repeatedly, often accidentally facing the wrong direction whenever I needed to duck.

People whine about the joycons, but the pro controller is giving me way more issues.

I wish I could see a new contra game that didn't have tons of references to the NES game. It was novel in Contra 4 since there hadn't been a "throwback" game yet, but that game is almost 20 years old and they're STILL acting like we've not seen the standard contra levels since 1986. I hope they work to make more new stuff and don't just keep on nostalgia begging.

On 10/12/2023 at 4:51 AM, Sumez said:

Between the "new" dash (I think Uprising had that too, right?) and hopefully other potential features such as weapon switching or aim lock, a NES style controller probably would be very ineffecient in this game. It seems unlikely they will design the game to work with only two buttons.

Yeah I was playing Super Cyborg on my Switch the other way with the pro controller - super recommended game for Contra fans btw, it mimicks the gameplay of the NES Contra games extremely well - and the imprecision of the "down" button really threw me off repeatedly, often accidentally facing the wrong direction whenever I needed to duck.

People whine about the joycons, but the pro controller is giving me way more issues.

Dang. Controllers are a big issue for me. If the controller doesn't feel comfortable, it's hard to "get into" the game. 

I have not enjoyed using the little "joy-cons" ever, so I haven't looked seriously at getting a Switch. I thought the Pro controller was going to be the answer. 🤔

On 10/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, fox said:

Pro controller’s d pad is kinda ballz

That's unfortunate. 

How you find the Switch online NES ones?

On 10/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, Sumez said:

That comment surely sounds like it was written by a human being ☝️

So... bot? I don't understand WHY? Who would set up a bot do do such a thing? Or someone using AI for a response to join in? I'm dumb.

Edited by AirVillain

55 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Dang. Controllers are a big issue for me. If the controller doesn't feel comfortable, it's hard to "get into" the game. 

I have not enjoyed using the little "joy-cons" ever, so I haven't looked seriously at getting a Switch. I thought the Pro controller was going to be the answer. 🤔

That's unfortunate. 

How you find the Switch online NES ones?

The Pro controller is great. I’ve barely used the D-pad so I can’t give a major critique, but I used it about ⅓ of the time in Shredder’s Revenge and didn’t notice any problems. 

The NES controller is good imo but I’ve only used it for Mario 35. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Link said:

The Pro controller is great. I’ve barely used the D-pad so I can’t give a major critique, but I used it about ⅓ of the time in Shredder’s Revenge and didn’t notice any problems. 

The NES controller is good imo but I’ve only used it for Mario 35. 

I can imagine the Pro controller being top notch for Beat 'em ups like Shredder's and 3D games like Mario Odyssey.... Hopefully Mario Kart. The joy cons suck shit for that game. 

The joy cons are so tiny... like they were made for ants! They need to be at least 3x bigger!

ask should GIF

I guess since they were made for families/kids they're so small but with the tiny little buttons it makes it awkward for me. Hence the adapter thingies and the Pro Controller I guess. 

You know, I didn't think about it until now, but I have had problems with the switch lite D-pad, particularly in playing the genesis online games. I am terrible at castlevania bloodlines on switch online compared to when I'm using a real six-button. I never had issue with the pro controller though. Different strokes however, I would be far from the average to say what pads are best.

If anybody REALLY needs a good switch pad, and having none of the motion/rumble/amiibo stuff is okay, then I recommend either one of the switch controller adapters (with your xbox/ps controller of choice) or one of the hori game pads for switch. Hori is the top of the mountain for 3rd party, so surely their offerings will suffice if the rest do not.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 7:55 AM, Sumez said:

But given the circumstances, I don't think I can afford to have any hopes for this one. We'll see how it turns out.

Well, the demo is out, and I'm pleased! The game is way better than I had dared to hope. Had a run through hard mode, with 1-hit kills, here:

There's a bunch of modifiers you can switch on to make the game easier, including perks which straight up allow you to heal. But opting out of the perks definitely feels like the more pure way to play. 1-hit kill mode might be classic Contra, but I think playing through the full game with that might end up being extremely tough, I had a hard time even making it through the first stage without taking a hit. The game feels fair though, except for just a few places with some shenanigans.
And Hard Mode is extremely exhillerating! Instead of giving you beefy enemies, they'll just throw a ton of popcorn enemies at you, with turrets and grenade lobbers to keep you on your toes. It's great.

Oh, the game runs like shit though. It's not even consistent on PS5, but at least it's playable. Don't get the Switch version - I repeat, DO NOT get the Switch version! It's not just that it runs poorly, it barely runs at all, a complete mess. I'm not sure charging money for software in that stage is even legal.

• Like 3