• Seen it, loved it
    • Seen it, liked it
    • Seen it... *meh*
    • Seen it, didn't like it
    • Seen it, hated it
    • Never seen it, gonna
    • Never seen it, not gonna

Administrator · Posted

Who never gathers moss? The Duke of Zill, of course.

So I have a cat now, and I've seen this movie, so here we are. I loved this movie as a kid, watched it many many times before ever knowing there was a game on the NES, and when I got the game man that just blew my mind - I can BE Felix!

The characters in the movie are all so zany, the "Who is the Boss" song is a fuckin' banger, the weird rotoscoping for the princess... *chef's kiss*. I dunno if I'd call the animation "good" so much, but the environments and everything about it was always just super charming to me, I always get a smile watching scenes from this movie. A few years ago I went and watched all of the Felix cartoons I could get my hands on and same deal - they're not like, the best thing ever or anything, but the nostalgia really carries it to "charming" for me overall. 

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I had this on a recorded VHS and watched it a thousand times.

As a kid I really like it.

As an adult, I haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be horrific.

Bizarre is the word that comes to mind.

Did you watch the show in the 90s? I think the bizarre-ness was intentional lol.

I’ve seen super old Felix cartoons  but I had no clue this was a thing.  Is the NES game based off of this media? Interesting if that’s true.

I found it interesting that in the trailer, Felix never talked and I assumed he was silent but in the very last shot, it’s obvious his lips are moving but that’s didn’t include audio.  It makes it feel like they hadn’t even edited the two parts together at all, but who knows.  

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, RH said:

I’ve seen super old Felix cartoons  but I had no clue this was a thing.  Is the NES game based off of this media? Interesting if that’s true.

I found it interesting that in the trailer, Felix never talked and I assumed he was silent but in the very last shot, it’s obvious his lips are moving but that’s didn’t include audio.  It makes it feel like they hadn’t even edited the two parts together at all, but who knows.  

To my knowledge the "trailer" is actually from the DVD when that eventually came out. I don't believe there was ever an actual trailer for the movie at release.

As for the NES game, it's not based on the movie, so much as that the two both use the same version of Felix. Don Oriolo took over the Felix the Cat IP after his dad passed, and pretty much immediately got to work getting Felix a bit of a makeover and pushing out all sorts of content. Interestingly, he also runs Oriolo Guitars, and many of the guitars they've sold are Felix themed. Felix of the late 80s and into the 90s was huge; I remember loving the TV show The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat. Don Oriolo is credited (if I recall) for writing (and performing?) the theme song for that as well.

The history is really interesting, well worth a deep dive.

Wow. I've always liked Felix and I never heard about this movie. 

I have a tape of Twisted Tales I got at the thrift store or something in high school. But that and the Nintendo game were the only things I knew of made in my lifetime. I was maybe vaguely aware of the short lived comic books. 

On 8/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I remember the TV show, but I've never seen the movie.

They're not even really related! Seven years apart and none of the same people involved, from what I can tell. Don Oriolo

Edited by Link