IGNORED

What were the first retailer exclusives/incentives?

Random topic came up in conversation and I couldn't think of a good answer. I recently learned about this 1992 Kay-Bee promo card that came with Bulls Versus Blazers which spurred the topic.

SabOoVa.png

The best answer I came up with is Steeplechase, Stellar Track and Submarine Commander, which were Sears Telegames exclusives in 1982 and even marketed as exclusive. I imagine this has to be the real answer, but is there anything else in the 80s, or even before this? I don't think mail order games count. I'm thinking of things that are like "Here's a reason to come buy your games at Caldor!" or something.

uqtoavZ.png

Social Team · Posted

I just had to make a call on what version of Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope to buy (regular or Best Buy version with exclusive DLC skin...... I went with regular because I didn't like the altered box art).  I don't know if I would put Sears in the same category unless they were selling it with additional item or a different cover/box art.  And even then, was the intent to get people to buy from Sears because the box art was better?  The Kay-Bee Toys is clearly marketing people to buy there with an incentive that isn't just price.

Editorials Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I just had to make a call on what version of Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope to buy (regular or Best Buy version with exclusive DLC skin...... I went with regular because I didn't like the altered box art).  I don't know if I would put Sears in the same category unless they were selling it with additional item or a different cover/box art.  And even then, was the intent to get people to buy from Sears because the box art was better?  The Kay-Bee Toys is clearly marketing people to buy there with an incentive that isn't just price.

Hopefully you bought the regular considering it was on sale for $20, and you'll probably never care about some skin.

Social Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hopefully you bought the regular considering it was on sale for $20, and you'll probably never care about some skin.

I did purchases it when it was on say for $20.  When it arrived it turned out to be a PEGI version.  I started the return process right then.  When I went to reorder I saw the price was $40 again.  Ended up chatting with Amazon customer services for about 10 mins trying to explain I want a replacement and not refund because the cost changed.  Dude tried to tell me a replacement would give me the PEGI version again even though NOTHING on the site said that is the version being sent.  In the end he gave me a gift card of $19.50 to cover the difference.  At that point I took my time with my order to figure out what to buy now that I got $20 bucks to rebuy.  I bought from a 3rd party seller thinking that they won't fuck up the version.  Was also like $1 cheaper all said and done.

Also had a pre-order PSVR game come in today with a broken case and seal.  That shit is going back for a refund.  I just reordered because the price is the same.  No need for chat with Amazon about that.  First time I had this happen with a new game from Amazon.  

9 hours ago, glazball said:

I can't imagine there could be anything earlier that fits your description than the Atari VCS/2600 Sears exclusives.

Technically the first Pong console was a Sears exclusive in 1975. It was marketed as a Sears brand about a year before the Atari branded one came out.

edit: And I guess the Magnavox Odyssey was, too, as only Magnavox dealers carried it at first.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Technically the first Pong console was a Sears exclusive in 1975. It was marketed as a Sears brand about a year before the Atari branded one came out.

edit: And I guess the Magnavox Odyssey was, too, as only Magnavox dealers carried it at first.

I came in to make some smart-ass comment about Pong, but hey.... turns out it WAS an exclusive. 😅

On 7/12/2023 at 1:55 PM, Richardhead said:

You are the youngest old person on VAGS.

Nobody knows the answer better than you. 

Cause no one’s ever thought about it! When I tried finding the first collectors editions and first pack in bonuses the existing attempts to discover them were mostly people trying to Google the answer. I need real turbo nerd collectors to use their obscure video game retailer knowledge to generate new data!

• Like 2

I know the wholesale giants (Sams, BJs, Costco) will often have exclusive bundles. The items in the bundles are sometimes just regular retail items, but bundled together and put in an exclusive bundle packaging. Don’t know how long they been doing this.

You probably wouldn’t know any better because people will usually toss out the exterior bundle packaging and only keep the retail boxes (if they even keep that)

Edited by phart010