IGNORED

The Mexican Runner recently completed 256 loops of Contra.

mbd39

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

So you're telling me I haven't really beat Contra. Does the game crash after 256 or something?

It apparently loops back to first loop difficulty.

There's some crazy stuff that happens in later loops as well, such as some enemies in last stage either being invincible or having like 1 HP so they die in one hit.

• Like 1

I don't think many of these streamers do these things just as gimmicks to get more subs.  I think people like TMR do this because they enjoy pushing themselves to gaming limits by their own standards.

Kids (and possibly even adults) existed like this 25-35 years ago.  We just didn't have the means of mass-comparison like we do with the internet today, which ups the ante for these types of individuals with this type of drive.

20 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't think many of these streamers do these things just as gimmicks to get more subs.  I think people like TMR do this because they enjoy pushing themselves to gaming limits by their own standards.

Kids (and possibly even adults) existed like this 25-35 years ago.  We just didn't have the means of mass-comparison like we do with the internet today, which ups the ante for these types of individuals with this type of drive.

100% they do if this is their main source of income. It takes effort to set up a stream, and edit videos. If it was just about pushing his own limits, a blog would be the easiest way. 

Stunts like this are done for clout. Impressive yes, but not possible for those with “real” jobs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

100% they do if this is their main source of income. It takes effort to set up a stream, and edit videos. If it was just about pushing his own limits, a blog would be the easiest way. 

Stunts like this are done for clout. Impressive yes, but not possible for those with “real” jobs. 

I'm not saying it's not a money maker or a day job.  People that want to do these things often find a way to monetize them, but many also do all of that so they can continue to push themselves.  It's symboitic.

To put it differently, yes, there are "publicity stunts" but I can't see to many people spending that much time pushing toward a goal unless they had a motivation to do it.  They can supplement the motivation with earning money, but if your goal is to make an income, there are easier ways to do it.  This is an interest for him he's monetized and it takes extreme determination, foundationally built on a desire to do it.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm not saying it's not a money maker or a day job.  People that want to do these things often find a way to monetize them, but many also do all of that so they can continue to push themselves.  It's symboitic.

To put it differently, yes, there are "publicity stunts" but I can't see to many people spending that much time pushing toward a goal unless they had a motivation to do it.  They can supplement the motivation with earning money, but if your goal is to make an income, there are easier ways to do it.  This is an interest for him he's monetized and it takes extreme determination, foundationally built on a desire to do it.

TMR monetized this by requiring a $5 donation per loop from Twitch chat soon after he completed his original goal of 58 loops.

• Like 1

If this guy can make money from playing video games in his house then fuck... more power to him! $1,000 to play Contra for the week. Jesus, sign me up!

I'm weirdly jealous in a way. It's just not my style to be talking to people and "engaging the subs", but if someone can do it and play video games and make money, then fuck... go for it! Hats off to this fellow. 

I'm watching him TALK about video games right now. Muhfucka isn't even playing anything and I'm watching, hahaha. I clicked on the Twitch out of curiosity this morning and here we are... 

There are 152 people watching LIVE. Hahaha, that's incredible. 👏

• Like 1

Yeah no disrespect to TMR's gaming ability or his stream content. He's got major skills and I've even seen him dabble with music covers. I still think there is a difference between pushing your gaming limits and doing it while trying to make a living out of streaming - I feel like beating Contra 256 times falls more on the latter. 

Hats off to anyone who 'makes it' in streaming though. It would take a ton of effort, persistence and skill with little to no payoff up front with no guarantees/securities unless you're one of the lucky ones that really breakout.

8 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I still think there is a difference between pushing your gaming limits and doing it while trying to make a living out of streaming - I feel like beating Contra 256 times falls more on the latter.

Haha, yeah, but shit... what are we talking about here? 

The guy is not selling his soul advertising for Uber One or some e-sports betting site. 

If you're going to take something you love and think is cool like playing Contra and try to do something literally no one has ever done before then you SHOULD try to make money off it. I definitely think it 100% can be BOTH pushing your gaming limit AND trying to make money. This guy SHOULD try to make money from it. 

The fuck are we talking about here? He's literally creating his own job. No one is going to come and say "Hey, I'm going to sponsor you to play Contra for 60 hours".... 

He's hustling HIMSELF to get paid. 

Haha, fuck... I wish I could do it. 

I have considered doing another Super C marathon, but not near set-up at all for it. If someone PAID me to do it, I'd gladly take the cash. 🙈

And Contra is a different animal because of the rising difficulty/lack of extra lives... keep up the hustle. 

Scrooge Mcduck Money GIF 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Haha, yeah, but shit... what are we talking about here? 

The guy is not selling his soul advertising for Uber One or some e-sports betting site. 

If you're going to take something you love and think is cool like playing Contra and try to do something literally no one has ever done before then you SHOULD try to make money off it. I definitely think it 100% can be BOTH pushing your gaming limit AND trying to make money. This guy SHOULD try to make money from it. 

The fuck are we talking about here? He's literally creating his own job. No one is going to come and say "Hey, I'm going to sponsor you to play Contra for 60 hours".... 

He's hustling HIMSELF to get paid. 

Haha, fuck... I wish I could do it. 

I have considered doing another Super C marathon, but not near set-up at all for it. If someone PAID me to do it, I'd gladly take the cash. 🙈

And Contra is a different animal because of the rising difficulty/lack of extra lives... keep up the hustle. 

Scrooge Mcduck Money GIF 

We're just talking in circles here. All I am saying is if it wasn't a job I doubt he would play Contra 256 times in a row. That's all. 

27 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Yeah i agree. Nobody is sitting in their room with no outside world contact running 250+ loops

I'd like to loop it enough to max the score and that's about it. The best I've done is 7 loops.

• Like 1