IGNORED

The Mexican Runner recently completed 256 loops of Contra.

mbd39

35 minutes ago, peg said:

Can't you just stand in place and farm points on stage 1 without even moving?  Been a long time since I fired up the game.

He's not going for points, plus he would have maxed out his points (and therefore lose the ability to gain any more free men) after like 10 loops out of 255, so that would literally be a waste of time for the purposes of this challenge...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He's not going for points, plus he would have maxed out his points (and therefore lose the ability to gain any more free men) after like 10 loops out of 255, so that would literally be a waste of time for the purposes of this challenge...

I know that i was referring to people that just want to max the score.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I still think there is a difference between pushing your gaming limits and doing it while trying to make a living out of streaming - I feel like beating Contra 256 times falls more on the latter. 

20 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

We're just talking in circles here. All I am saying is if it wasn't a job I doubt he would play Contra 256 times in a row. That's all. 

Yeah, but you said it like doing it for money was selling his soul.

Haha, this guy literally found a way to monetize his video game skill... OF COURSE he's going to do a challenge like this on the stream. 

Also, calling it a "job" is a little misleading. Because, while he's making money at it, it's not a "job" in the way that he's being TOLD what to do. 

This guy can do whatever the fuck he wants.... so it's not like he goes in to work 9-5 and is FORCED to play Contra. 

So again... I think it can be a combination of both. This guy is proving it. His passion is beating these records and doing these runs, so he found a way to make money off it. 

Why not loop Contra 256 times to see if it was possible and show us what actually happens (enemies reverting back to normal difficulty) AND get paid to do it??? 

Seems like a no brainer. 

19 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Yeah i agree. Nobody is sitting in their room with no outside world contact running 250+ loops

But you would never know because that person didn't bother to tell anyone.

Someone had to start looping the game sometime, somewhere... To say people haven't just done it on their own (in 30+years) seems a little far fetched. 

Like saying Aliens don't exist. 

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric 

14 hours ago, peg said:

Can't you just stand in place and farm points on stage 1 without even moving?  Been a long time since I fired up the game.

You could if you were a cheating satanist who has no respect for the sanctity of video games. 

😅

To answer your questions, yeah I think you could but that would be no fun... and would take a long time. 

Maxing the score takes about 3.5 hours and that includes points from all the power-ups, different enemies, and bosses. So... while I don't know for sure, I would assume that would take a lot longer and be a shitty gaming experience. 

Also, it's against the "rules" for a place like Twin Galaxies, or other record tracking sites I'm sure.... And no one cares if you can stand there and shoot the same enemies a bunch of times, the whole point of maxing Contra is BECAUSE of the incerased difficulty.

SO... what TMR did here was that x 1,000,000... because after your score maxes out you don't gain anymore free lives (only after each loop???) but the difficulty stays. 

But after the 256 loop is when the difficulty reverts back to the original when you start the game. SO that's why it's a feat. 🤷‍♂️ 

10 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I suck at contra. I can't even do one loop!

That's what the Konami code is for! 😎👍

.... I don't know much about the later loops, but I have maxed the score on Contra and it was NOT easy. 

At one point I had 97 lives, I believe, and finished with 7... So I barely clung on and it was a fucking battle at the end. 

Around that time I was also was attempting the 5 life "Tournament Settings" max out... But I couldn't quite get there. 🫠

So TMR doing 256 loops is fucking nuts. Mad respect. 🙏