IGNORED

A New Way to Safely Open Famicom Cartridges

For years, the recommended method for opening up Famicom games without causing damage to the shell was to use quick grips. I was never a fan of this method, as I personally don't own any quick grips and this just meant that it was another tool I'd have to purchase (and likely buy from abroad), for the sole purpose of opening Famicom cartridges only.

After doing some experimenting, I found a safe and easy method of opening Famicom cartridges, and all it requires us a flathead screwdriver and some hand strength. I thought I'd share as someone here might find it useful.

• Like 1

Not really because you risk damaging the internal circuit board by shoving in a screwdriver BUT if you protect the tip with insulation tape or something then I'd say this method is pretty decent. Still I haven't destroyed a single cartridge using a quick grip method and as this might seem destructive it really isn't

1 hour ago, BlackVega said:

Not really because you risk damaging the internal circuit board by shoving in a screwdriver BUT if you protect the tip with insulation tape or something then I'd say this method is pretty decent. Still I haven't destroyed a single cartridge using a quick grip method and as this might seem destructive it really isn't

Those are fair points, though I'm just harvesting the shells from the games. If you stick the screwdriver up higher, you can avoid the PCB totally and still open the shell, if you wanted to just clean the PCB or change the battery or something.

Edited by fcgamer

I also use the screwdrive method just like you, though I have broken the occasional tab over the years, especially if I open a new third party cart for the first time and it ends up having the tabs on the other side (I'm looking at you, Namco).  My only real complaint is that everyone on earth films shit sideways with their fucking cell phones!!!  Your cellphone's aspect ratio is the same as a tv; for the love of God, turn that sumbitch 90 degrees so it will look like a normal fucking video!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I also use the screwdrive method just like you, though I have broken the occasional tab over the years, especially if I open a new third party cart for the first time and it ends up having the tabs on the other side (I'm looking at you, Namco).  My only real complaint is that everyone on earth films shit sideways with their fucking cell phones!!!  Your cellphone's aspect ratio is the same as a tv; for the love of God, turn that sumbitch 90 degrees so it will look like a normal fucking video!!!!

Gotta be landscape if it's for YouTube. Portrait is for Facebook and Snapchat 

• Like 1

I've known of this one for awhile, never was a fan with the screwdriver because metal, but a few years ago I ended up with this kit that came with this flat plastic mini prybar of sorts, a little thicker than that screwdriver, but all the same and it has a little tiny lip on it to get up under the cartridge edge.  I've had it work great applying pressure all the same, but I've also had 2 games crack off a tab and one of those also cracked the shell but it was a brittle cheap cart (Exerion) that just couldn't handle it.

I recently had got this cheapo lot of like 10+ FC games for around $20 shipped and that's where the two fails came in didn't much surprise me but whatever they are clean now and play.

This is a pic of the kit stolen off walmart via google image search.  You can see the pry tool here.
5d814299-2e21-4985-9c25-8156b773872a.ddd

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 5:07 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

My only real complaint is that everyone on earth films shit sideways with their fucking cell phones!!!  Your cellphone's aspect ratio is the same as a tv; for the love of God, turn that sumbitch 90 degrees so it will look like a normal fucking video!!!!

This is the natural way you hold your phone. What's wrong with that?

On 6/10/2023 at 11:07 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Now there’s YouTube shorts 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Gotta be landscape if it's for YouTube. Portrait is for Facebook and Snapchat 

Yeah, this.  Though since Basil doesn't use social media at all, he wouldn't know that the video was likely not made with YouTube in mind.  It was made to be viewed on a mobile phone in portrait view, which is standard for sites like TikTok but not on anything he would've seen.

Also, as a side note, I thought Dave was American?  Why does he sound Scandinavian?

9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, this.  Though since Basil doesn't use social media at all, he wouldn't know that the video was likely not made with YouTube in mind.  It was made to be viewed on a mobile phone in portrait view, which is standard for sites like TikTok but not on anything he would've seen.

Also, as a side note, I thought Dave was American?  Why does he sound Scandinavian?

Who are Basil and Dave?

41 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhh stop sharing private info bruh cops and FBI are gonna get ya

You must be new to the community.  Everyone used their first names back in the day.  Go and read forums from the early 2000s and you'll see this.  We all knew and used each others real names.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1