IGNORED

Game Debate #157: Pokemon Gold/Silver

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, koifish said:

Yeah, Pokemon seems to have wanted very hard to be like Dragon Quest and stay as a permanent "mainstream" JRPG that doesn't deviate or change how it works too much. I get why; Their target audience is children who haven't seen a Pokemon game before. Just doesn't do anything for long-term audiences, which I guess is okay, since you aren't really supposed to play these things forever anyway. It's kind of like super sentai, they make what can feel like the same show over and over, but it's because each one has to be "my sentai" for some kid out there watching now. Somebody who watches every season is probably a weirdo like me, who you don't want to listen to for good advice on your media franchises.

This is a good point, and to that effect, the spinoff like Pokemon XD, Detective Pikachu, and Legends have more appeal to me than the mainline games.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

My younger brother had a Gameboy and Red.  I played some of that.  It was entertaining.  I just had to look up if these were different games or not.  I just couldn’t figure out what was going on from context.  How are they still making these games?

Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in the World, with tons of stuff (TV shows, board games, trading cards, comics, etc.) to flesh out the "Pokemon World" coming out regularly. An official way to explore that world in its newest form is desirable as a result, taking a lot of pressure off the games to evolve and improve like how many other game series have to do to survive

4 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

My younger brother had a Gameboy and Red.  I played some of that.  It was entertaining.  I just had to look up if these were different games or not.  I just couldn’t figure out what was going on from context.  How are they still making these games?

I'm not a Pokemon fan myself, but the answer to that question is no different than the answer to how they keep making Mario games.