IGNORED

How do you pronounce Ninja Gaiden?

docile tapeworm

How do you pronounce Ninja Gaiden?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce Ninja Gaiden?

21 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

Reveal hidden contents

My analysis: GA-I-DE-N, translates phonetically to hiragana/katakana (JP alphabet).  The I makes an EE sound.  Simple as that.  Really though I probably go between both pronunciations these days.

Granted, gaiden might be a JP word, it might make sense to use the origin country's pronunciation, as many do with a word like tortilla for instance.  Being fancy, one could say Guyden as that's the Japanese pronunciation.  Then again I don't typically say Meh-he-co, I say Mexico.

But, if one wants to be so fancy and only say Ninja Guyden, just call it Ninja Ryukenden as it's called in Japan 😛

Ninja Ree-you-kenden?

😛

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah man, I totally agree...aside from the fact that who is actually playing these "gotcha" games? This shouldn't even be a topic if folks weren't playing these "gotcha" games, as you put it...

It's actually pronounced "gatcha". 

😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Exactly, so how do you say "tofu" again? 99.9% chance you say it wrong 

What does that matter? 

If I say "tofu" wrong, does that mean I should also say "coca cola" and "labrador" wrong? Where do you draw the line, and what the hell is even your point? 

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Sumez said:

What does that matter? 

If I say "tofu" wrong, does that mean I should also say "coca cola" and "labrador" wrong? Where do you draw the line, and what the hell is even your point? 

Right, I agree, so what's the point of this thread? @Sumez what's the right pronunciation? Please get on your soap box and say for all, obviously you think it doesn't matter yet at the same time think it does matter.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've commonly heard of what's brought up here.

Gaiden = Gay-den
Kage = Cage
Gradius = Same
Taito = Same

I never heard the weird way of 'gray-di-us' or 'tay-to' for those two until the internet and in more recent years, kind of like that ear grating hellscape are the doofuses who call the NES the NEZZZZ or the NESSSS like they're part snake...STOP IT.

Most kids in the 80s and 90s of the pre-internet had no clue how Japanese words were sounded out in the US so Kah-Gey was Cage and Guy-den was Gayden.  It just is what it is.  I got to re-think those sometimes still.  It's not like TV spots or Nintendo power ever tried to clear it up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I never heard the weird way of 'gray-di-us'

Wait, it's not gray-di-us?

I grew up watching a bunch of anime, so I've defaulted to attempting to pronounce Japanese words in a Japanglish approximation because I missed the boat on being able to correctly pronounce the phonemes, but I'm aware of them. I still sound white as hell, though.

Here's what I say:

• Tie-toe
  • Kah-gay
  • Guy-den
  • Gray-dee-us

Since we're hitting beehives:

• Legend of Mana = Man-na
  • Ys = Yee-s, like geese
  • Suikoden = Swe-ko-den
  • Ehrgeiz = "Air-guys"
  • Atelier franchise = "At-ill-yay," even though in some of them the English voice actors say "at-lee-er"
  • Disgaea = Dis-guy-uh
  • Pokemon = Poke-aay-mon
Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

Well luck would have it I always called it Grah-dee-us   And for Japanese that works out - グラディウス, Guradiusu (Gu Ra Di U Su for the 5 symbols.)

So I never quite got where gray-di-us came from as it just doesn't sound out that way in English or Japanese.  That would be I guess if it were spelled Greidius or something close?

• Like 1

When it comes to video games, I don't usually correct people on how they say things. A lot of people (including myself) purposely say Pokemon names wrong just because it's how they grew up saying them, and it's what they're attached to.

I've always pronounced it as Ninja Guy-den, because I didn't play the game or really know about it until I was in my teens. By then people had figured out how to say it properly.

Though if I were to throw an example out, people don't exactly say "Dragon Ball Z Kay", do they? 😄

Edited by SailingWiimote
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well luck would have it I always called it Grah-dee-us   And for Japanese that works out - グラディウス, Guradiusu (Gu Ra Di U Su for the 5 symbols.)

I could see where both pronunciations come from in English. I pronounce grade and gradient as "gray-d" and "gray-d-ent." I pronounce graduation and gradual as "grah-du-a-shun" and "grah-du-al."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Philosoraptor said:

I think we're saying it the same. I just couldn't figure out how to write it phonetically.

The y in Ys takes on one of its vowel sounds, specifically a long e (like it does in city.) An alternate spelling for the legendary city is "Is," pronounced the same.

The letter y is a weird letter when you look into its history. 🙃

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tofu is pronounced the same in English as it Is Japanese (to-fu) and is most likely where we got the pronunciation from I would guess. In Chinese it is pronounced doufu from my understanding.

This is my point. I don’t think it really matters how you pronounce things because language is always evolving and changing based on the majority use. Regional variations also can play a part.

I must admit that before I learnt Japanese I called it gayden. Just made more sense. I also call it nesss because in Australia it is pronounced that wasy. Whereas when I listen to people from the US they say N.E.S. Just a regional difference.

The Japanese also butcher English loan words. So it definitely goes both ways.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've never heard anyone say "gayden" or "tayto" in real life.

That's because your country is ESL.  In countries where English is the first language, seeing a word with an "ai" in the middle makes you naturally say the word like "gay" not "guy."  That's why all of us in North America grew up saying Ninja Gay-den until we learned the supposed "proper" way years later.

But with regards to linguistics, it doesn't much matter what the origin country calls anything, really; if a word is sounded out a certain way in a certain region, then that is the right way to pronounce it in that region.  Are all English-speaking people wrong for calling Deutchland Germany?  Do you think the Japanese call their country "Japan?"  Are portuguese people "wrong" for spelling my country "Kanada?"  I could go on literally forever, but the point is: if everyone in a certain region pronounces a word a certain way, then that is the correct way to say that word in that region... Full Stop.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3