IGNORED

Dr. Wily’s Castle Presents! : An nes chiptunes challenge! (Bracket a round 1)

docile tapeworm

The greatest chiptunes tournament alive!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Marble vs NG

2. 2. Tmnt vs life force konami vs it’s other self!

3. 3. T&c vs g&g

4. 4. Jaws bs capt skyhawk

“A” Bracket

1. Marble madness

8. Ninja gayden

2. Tmnt

7. Life force

3. T&c

6. Ghost n goblins

4. Jaws

5. Captain Skyhawk

”B” Bracket

1. rad racer

8. xexyz

2. Batman

7. Dragon spirit 

3. mega man

6. dd2

4. Punch out

5. dr mario

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Dr. Wily’s Castle Presents! : An nes chiptunes challenge! (Sweet 16 first four voting)
9 minutes ago, RH said:

My ears are ready for this, but we all know that Batman (I assume, Streets of Desolation is the tune that was selected) will win.

still deciding on Batman actually. Trying to keep mega hits out but maybe put it up against another monster jam

t&c is freakin awesome!

Edited by docile tapeworm

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@PII I thought that tmnt tune was a classic and favorite. I underestimated that life force tune.

Yeah, I pondered the vote contrast on that one as well..  I mean, how does everyone else pick what amounts to little more than a "simple A/B melody" over that deep and scathingly suspenseful TMNT track?  Yes, beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I know.  No need to tell me.  But this dichotomy actually offers a good look into the human mind.  In fact, all 4 of these examples are pretty interesting from a psychological  point of view.

Ghosts N Goblins / T&C: Got me thinking that a significant portion of the time, a gamer is simply going to pick the track for whichever game they've played and liked the most.  I like that GnG track a lot but it has a "circus-y" quality that gets a little old when you've heard it (probably a literal) 1000 times or more.  I went with T&C (which I have never played) because it's a totally rip-roaring-gnarly-ball-bustin'-Banger and like, super suspenseful at the same time, dude!  People are usually going to choose a banger over a more reserved piece like the GnG track that is continually "holding back" as it progesses which just happens to be a good gameplay strategy for GnG.

TMNT / Lifeforce: A buddy and me used to put this game in just to listen to the title screen music right before hitting the town on a Friday night to get ourselves Psyched Up.  The whole soundtrack is Awesome and the Underwater bomb defusing level might just be the best track in the whole game.  Never-the-less, this is a Water Level and generally speaking the average gamer does not care much for water levels.  More specifically this is one of those levels that is somewhat legendary for frustrating gamers and that is definitely going to sway some minds away whether it takes place consciously or subconsciously.  It's also worth pointing out that it's the kind of track that really needs to be heard through quality monitors to be truly appreciated.  That fricative Melody over that Undulating wave of tension is eye-opening nectar for the mind.  the B section in the lifeforce track sounds like it would fit right in, in Crystalis, which I like.

Jaws / Capt. Skyhawk: Similar things going on here.  Flying vs another water level, and the whole game is a water level.  But then Skyhawk is a hard game and jaws is very easy to get into so maybe that accounts for the votes being close.  The Skyhawk track is very dynamic right off the bat and the Jaws track is all slow and subtle tension.

Marble Madness / Ninja Gaiden: The votes on this one are almost totally mystifying.  Don't get me wrong.  I like Marble Madness A LOT.  It's a classic and it deserves 10 sequels.  And I like that track.  But COME, ON.  Really?  I click play on that Ninja Gaiden track and close my eyes and you know what I see?  ¡NINJAS FLYING/SLICING THROUGH THE AIR!  ¡CARS EXPLODING!     ...WHILE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR!!  ¡THE GORGEOUS NAKED BODY OF (heart-throb-human-female-of-your-choice-here) ... FLYING THROUGH SMOKE RINGS!, IN BETWEEN SLASHING SAMURAI BLADES!   ...IN THE AIR!!!, LANDING SAFELY ON TOP OF A SKYSCRAPER AND INSTANTLY MAKING ANOTHER BACKFLIP DISMOUNT, JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME!!!!!!   ALL OF IT IN THE AMAZING AIR!!!!!  That track is an 8-bit Symphonic-Phantasmagoria!  Perfect accompaniment to blistering-flick-of-the-wrist-fast-paced Action!  I Fucking love it!!

What I see when I click play on the M.m. track and close my eyes: A cool blue marble slowly rolling down a platform.

So to sum up:

2) scratch head for a moment, makes sense... I guess.

3) makes sense

4) not surprised

1) eh-ughgGHGH !?!?!?

This was fun.

Big props to the Worm.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, I pondered the vote contrast on that one as well..  I mean, how does everyone else pick what amounts to little more than a "simple A/B melody" over that deep and scathingly suspenseful TMNT track?  Yes, beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I know.  No need to tell me.  But this dichotomy actually offers a good look into the human mind.  In fact, all 4 of these examples are pretty interesting from a psychological  point of view.

Ghosts N Goblins / T&C: Got me thinking that a significant portion of the time, a gamer is simply going to pick the track for whichever game they've played and liked the most.  I like that GnG track a lot but it has a "circus-y" quality that gets a little old when you've heard it (probably a literal) 1000 times or more.  I went with T&C (which I have never played) because it's a totally rip-roaring-gnarly-ball-bustin'-Banger and like, super suspenseful at the same time, dude!  People are usually going to choose a banger over a more reserved piece like the GnG track that is continually "holding back" as it progesses which just happens to be good gameplay strategy for GnG.

TMNT / Lifeforce: A buddy and me used to put this game in just to listen to the title screen music right before hitting the town on a Friday night to get ourselves Psyched Up.  The whole soundtrack is Awesome and the Underwater bomb defusing level might just be the best track in the whole game.  Never-the-less, this is a Water Level and generally speaking the average gamer does not care much for water levels.  More specifically this is one of those levels that is somewhat legendary for frustrating gamers and that is definitely going to sway some minds away whether it takes place consciously or subconsciously.  It's also worth pointing out that it's the kind of track that really needs to be heard through quality monitors to be truly appreciated.  That fricative Melody over that Undulating wave of tension is eye-opening nectar for the mind.  the B section in the lifeforce track sounds like it would fit right in, in Crystalis, which I like.

Jaws / Capt. Skyhawk: Similar things going on here.  Flying vs another water level, and the whole game is a water level.  But then Skyhawk is a hard game and jaws is very easy to get into so maybe that accounts for the votes being close.  The Skyhawk track is very dynamic right off the bat and the Jaws track is all slow and subtle tension.

Marble Madness / Ninja Gaiden: The votes on this one are almost totally mystifying.  Don't get me wrong.  I like Marble Madness A LOT.  It's a classic and it deserves 10 sequels.  And I like that track.  But COME, ON.  Really?  I click play on that Ninja Gaiden track and close my eyes and you know what I see?  ¡NINJAS FLYING/SLICING THROUGH THE AIR!  ¡CARS EXPLODING!     ...WHILE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR!!  ¡THE GORGEOUS NAKED BODY OF (heart-throb-human-female-of-your-choice-here) ... FLYING THROUGH SMOKE RINGS!, IN BETWEEN SLASHING SAMURAI BLADES!   ...IN THE AIR!!!, LANDING SAFELY ON TOP OF A SKYSCRAPER AND INSTANTLY MAKING ANOTHER BACKFLIP DISMOUNT, JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME!!!!!!   ALL OF IT IN THE AMAZING AIR!!!!!  That track is an 8-bit Symphonic-Phantasmagoria!  Perfect accompaniment to blistering-flick-of-the-wrist-fast-paced Action!  I Fucking love it!!

What I see when I click play on the M.m. track and close my eyes: A cool blue marble slowly rolling down a platform.

So to sum up:

2) scratch head for a moment, makes sense... I guess.

3) makes sense

4) not surprised

1) eh-ughgGHGH !?!?!?

This was fun.

Big props to the Worm.

Imo the title track of tmnt is my favorite. That jam is rocking! I almost put it up but saving it for another one of these brackets.

duuuude that T&c track is one of the finest. I thought everybody had this game as a kid. Certainly in my neighborhood we had it. G&g is a classic tune and I love it but man that T&c track is so good.

that capt Skyhawk tune is so good.

I picked m&m over NG it was a tough one for me but like you said I was swayed by the amount of game time on that one as a kid.

glad to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks for playing.

20 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dude just the single tracks brah! 

That's what I thought. That Marble Madness track is pure nostalgia. When I was a kid, I was playing with a buddy and when he was on the second stage I just randomly started beatboxing that same track causing him to laugh so hard that he spit Mountain Dew all over my dad's tv screen. We both got in trouble and had to clean up the mess, but it was absolutely hilarious. Those kinds of memories are why I still love this stuff.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what I thought. That Marble Madness track is pure nostalgia. When I was a kid, I was playing with a buddy and when he was on the second stage I just randomly started beatboxing that same track causing him to laugh so hard that he spit Mountain Dew all over my dad's tv screen. We both got in trouble and had to clean up the mess, but it was absolutely hilarious. Those kinds of memories are why I still love this stuff.

Hell ya! I hoped nostalgia would be a factor. Also hoping to get some of these tunes the respect they deserve!

57 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@JamesRobot it’s credit to that T&C tune. To be able to hang with the juggernaut tune of g&g (nostalgia, catchy, infamous…).

Whenever I hear that Ghosts N Goblins track it makes me think of those annoying ghosts that sound like someone scratching on a chalkboard.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Link said:

I did my duty and voted for T&C Surf Design. Great track. Easy choice, too. That Ghosts n Goblins one is boring, sorry not sorry. 

These were all pretty easy for me tbh. Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, T&C, Captain Skyhawk

G&g is a good one too but can’t hold a candle to that T&c tune! 
marble and NG was tough for me. Right with you on the rest. 

• Like 1