IGNORED

Tears of the Kingdom OLED Switch preorder still available

I see the scalpers are already plying their evil trade, and yet surprising these preorders are still available. I managed to get one ordered at Best Buy and my brother got one at Target. 

Maybe demand isn’t super high for these? I’m sure lots of folks have multiple Switch consoles by now so maybe there’s a little buyer’s fatigue at play here. Or maybe Nintendo actually plans to meet demand?

For the record I only own one Switch, and it’s the first model so I’m ready for the OLED upgrade.

• Agree 1

I got mine preordered! Still looking for the pro controller though. So far I’ve only owned the original switch, the regular OLED, and this will be my first limited OLED. I figure getting a new one every couple years while still getting great value for my old one is a decent trade off since new Nintendo hardware doesn’t seem to be on the horizon in the next few years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Maybe demand isn’t super high for these? I’m sure lots of folks have multiple Switch consoles by now so maybe there’s a little buyer’s fatigue at play here. Or maybe Nintendo actually plans to meet demand?

For the record I only own one Switch, and it’s the first model so I’m ready for the OLED upgrade.

I would imagine the market for the Switch is broadly saturated at this point. I can't believe it myself but it's been 6 years since the Switch launched, that time has just disappeared man! We are definitely into the territory of people buying their second, third etc. Switches by now, and correct me if I'm wrong but there have been a TON of special edition Switches right? I reckon a lot of folks are kinda good for Switches at this point!

Having said that, I am KINDA juggling with the idea of buying an OLED Switch myself. Currently there are 3 Switch systems in my house, my original Switch and 2 Switch Lites owned by my kids. The kids have done a pretty fine job of trashing ALL three of these systems, and even besides that, most of the JoyCons have gone fucky too over time...

Thing is, I'm not sure if now is a good time to buy an OLED Switch... It feels as though Nintendo could announce a Switch 2 at like any minute, certainly I would expect something announced in the next 12-18 months. For the amount I actually use my Switch, I could buy an OLED system today and not even play it for a good few months, by the time I actually make use of it they may have another on the way.

• Agree 1

I'm sort of in the same boat.  We have two of the original model Switch (one for each kid).  I never bought one for myself, because I pretty much only play games after they go to bed, so if I'm playing on the Switch I just grab one of theirs.  We have the family plan, so it's easy to move my saves from one to the other.  I kind of want an OLED model, but I'm not sure that I would use it enough to justify.  It's more of a question as to whether I want the new Zelda model, just because.

Looks sick, wish Nintendo sold just the joycons cause I don’t wanna buy a whole new system for just a bling job.

Anyone still rolling with the OG switch should consider upgrading though.  Bigger screen, deeper colors, more memory, longer battery life, better kickstand, and just a better overall unit.

Just now, RegularGuyGamer said:

Best Buy isn't doing shipping that's why there's still available. When it went up onto Amazon it's sold out within 30 minutes so the bots definitely got that listing. I wonder if Target is doing pick up only as well.

Thats a great point i didnt think to mention. I would almost prefer pickup for something like this, honestly. 

3 hours ago, fox said:

Looks sick, wish Nintendo sold just the joycons cause I don’t wanna buy a whole new system for just a bling job.

Anyone still rolling with the OG switch should consider upgrading though.  Bigger screen, deeper colors, more memory, longer battery life, better kickstand, and just a better overall unit.

I have the Mario bundle and the quality was/is hot garbage. I barely used my Switch for a while and never travel with it and both joycons drift quite a bit (I fixed them for the most part), the HDMI port on my dock is super loose for some reason now, and it usually takes a few tries to read the game depending on the cartridge and I even have trouble getting games in and out sometimes. 

Likely gonna upgrade to this one as I plan on buying the game anyway and could use and extra set of joy-cons and would like an updated console. I think the Switch will likely be around for another few years at least before an updated version beyond this or we get a whiff of a new console.

Edit: oops, I'm trippin'. I thought it came with a copy of the game. In that case I'll likely pass.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

29 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I have the Mario bundle and the quality was/is hot garbage. I barely used my Switch for a while and never travel with it and both joycons drift quite a bit (I fixed them for the most part), the HDMI port on my dock is super loose for some reason now, and it usually takes a few tries to read the game depending on the cartridge and I even have trouble getting games in and out sometimes. 

Likely gonna upgrade to this one as I plan on buying the game anyway and could use and extra set of joy-cons and would like an updated console. I think the Switch will likely be around for another few years at least before an updated version beyond this or we get a whiff of a new console.

Edit: oops, I'm trippin'. I thought it came with a copy of the game. In that case I'll likely pass.

This is alarming to hear. I’ll have to check Best Buy’s return policy cause if this thing is flimsy junk I’m taking it back 

56 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This is alarming to hear. I’ll have to check Best Buy’s return policy cause if this thing is flimsy junk I’m taking it back 

I don't think the Mario bundle was the OLED version of the switch

I should add too that I have the Mario bundle and I probably used it 10 times since I'm mostly use my launch switch to play games. It's just sat on the shelf literally as a bookend for my switch games. Somehow it sits off kilter of the dock to the left. So maybe it was the design of that specific bundle. Or maybe version 2 switches in general are lower quality than launch switch

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I don't think the Mario bundle was the OLED version of the switch

I should add too that I have the Mario bundle and I probably used it 10 times since I'm mostly use my launch switch to play games. It's just sat on the shelf literally as a bookend for my switch games. Somehow it sits off kilter of the dock to the left. So maybe it was the design of that specific bundle. Or maybe version 2 switches in general are lower quality than launch switch

Yeah.. not sure as I am very good with my electronics and treat all my stuff well. The dock always felt like cheap crap, even right out of the box. The joy-cons and the game slot are a little frustrating though as they've been an issue pretty much from the start (joy-cons were drifting by the end of my first Mario play through). Anyway, not the end of the world as everything works well enough, but definitely not impressed compared to all my past Nintendo consoles. Splatoon 2 used to give me a lot of trouble to get going.. sometimes 4 or 5 tries and I bought it brand new.

Both of my brothers recently bought OLED models and they do feel a bit better and they have not had any issues yet (6months in) so maybe they are slightly higher quality or maybe I just got a janky Switch. The screens are definitely a step above in quality.