IGNORED

Original (1 of 2) Diablo statue.

blooberrys

Made a post about this story on Reddit back in 2012 and I'm looking to find a value/buyer for this Diablo statue. I've never been a part of this community but a few resources point me here for, at the very least, a solid starting point. Here is my original Reddit post with the backstory about this statue as well as newer and better quality photos.

IMG-3415.jpg

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

That's incredibly cool. No clue how to value this, and presuming I'd lose in the bidding war for it, suffice it to say goddamn what a cool thing to own.

You don't have to answer, but I'm curious why you're getting rid of it, and whether you'd be including the letter etc. if you still have it for provenance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

What's the inscription on the base.  I don't know much about things like this, but WOW.  That is cool!

No not WOW, it’s Diablo.

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist a bad Dad joke.)

OP, I’m not a Diablo fan and that’s not my thing but these types of stories and items are right up my alley.  I’m sorry you have to sell it cause I hate to see you part with it. Good luck with sell but more importantly, I hope you get well soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same here, hope you can move this, even though you sadly shouldn't have to given the provenance.  I mean yeah, this is a gaming group here and community lead too, so maybe it can be perceived as slanted in what I'll say next.  This is one of those family treasure things, sure it's not solid real copper or gold or precious gems, but it is precious, both the statue and a living namesake that'll persist for years and years to come.  Shame that the funds can not be helped out in other ways, especially given how some just love to gofundme and panhandle for the dumbest stuff at times as this seems to be a genuine need.  Good luck on getting the funds, personally I hope something lucky comes along, or this goes viral, so that you can keep that in the family.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I mean seriously, just to make a point of it on its own.

Anything here with the staff/pr team can do around various connections in vintage gaming circles, production, industry ties that might be able to get this thing to get picked up in the news, even the more mainstream gaming media like Polygon, Kotaku, and the rest?  I'm not so much hoping some wanna Elon goes...dude here, enjoy $10000, but if enough could get a viral buzz going to stack up a fad wad of $10s, $20s, $100s?  That would be the best thing here.  Getting rid of that would be like someone with a strong family crest having to sell their namesake off, it's just kind of wrong being forced into that situation.

OMG this is amazing. huge Diablo fan here since the first game. i would be very interested, but like Gloves said, i would likely not be able to pay the price this would ultimately reach. 

Something like this doesn't have any sort of set price. It can vary based on popularity of franchise (good timing now, with D4 about to release!), uniqueness of item (1 of 2 is pretty damn unique), condition (looks like one of the points has chipped off, but otherwise looks good), and other factors. Whoever ends up owning this (whether you are able to keep it, or sell it off to a lucky collector) will be legendary.

It doesn't look like you've followed up on Reddit? r/diablo and r/gamecollecting would be my starting points. if you're just trying to offload it, Facebook marketplace would work. eBay is always an option. If you're able to authenticate it somehow, heritage auctionhouse might be able to raise some awareness.

Then again, if you have a number in your head, feel free to PM me here or on reddit (twizt0r)

Edited by twiztor
  • Agree 1

Hertiage sucks in general for their WATA scheming, but if we pretend that's not a bad thing or that it exists, they really would be the best case scenario to offload this for the most money to the correct set of buyers over what ebay would sponge off at 15% or so in the end.  Also ebay is scummy and people could try shenanigans, Heritage as a broker, all sales final, headache ends.  They'd start pitching out hype to their customers about the unique item and it could do ok like on ebay, or it could end up with a few deep pocketed types in a pissing contest to own it.  There are more people on that willing to drop tens of thousands on a unique item with thick provenance to it.

• Like 1

With the new game coming out and currently in Beta, feels like you should throw it up on ebay and let it go wild?

I like unique things and Diablo II ate up a bunch of my Freshman year at college. I'll make you an offer of $1000 so no one can lowball you. Wrote this at PAX East and forget to hit reply, so let's see how far behind I am in a second!

On 3/23/2023 at 9:50 AM, blooberrys said:

@Tanooki I agree it's unfortunate, but at least I'll always have the story and the name! I hate asking for hand outs and would feel incredibly uncomfortable starting a gofundme, or something similar, but it definitely would be the best case scenario.

I’m interested I’ll message you about this