IGNORED

Arcade Board/system collecting

Anyone have any collections? Im talking atomiswave, cps2, MVS, jamma setups, etc. 

Ive been doing research and am trying and failing to convince myself to not start buying motherboards and software, or start figuring out a jamma setup. 

I have  a quality JNX console-ized MVS that outputs in rgb and looks great through my framemeister, along with a good selection of MVS games already so ive started down the slippery slope. I can show my setup if anyone feels that MVS is arcade collecting too

Edited by MrWunderful

I bought a consolized MVS about 5 years ago.  It has component, composite and s-video output (maybe RGB too, but I can't remember) and has controller jacks for both Neo Geo and Saturn controllers.  I really enjoy it, but after all of these years, the only cart I've ever bought was that super common 161-1 multi-cart.  If I ever found a good deal on any MVS carts in the wild, I would certainly pick them up, but I've never gone out of my way to look for anything.  I've found that the console and multi-cart meet my Neo Geo needs.  As a kid, I never actually spent that much time in any arcades, so I don't have quite the nostalgia for arcade games the same way I do for home games.  

There was a time that I seriously considered getting into arcade boards and learning everything related to JAMMA, but I never pulled the trigger.  At this point, I feel pretty comfortable with my collection and I don't see myself getting into the arcade stuff.

Edited by TDIRunner

TDI I had considered one of those years ago when they first started to crop up but I guess it's like 7 years ago now or so I got lucky and ended up with a really cherry 2 slot MVS cabinet with the nice options installed (memory card, headphones) plus a stack of games and various pieces.

So in that respect more like Nintegageo there as I have the real thing.  I tried to go one more with a multicade I scooped up in cocktail form, but over time it went largely unused for games and more enjoyed for a craft and work table which was and wasn't ideal as it sat in the way so it went out.  Not knocking it though the iCade60 for what it was had a great setup and most of it ran right/well.

I find that the less is more yet more (I know weird wording) works best.  I placed value in economizing space, but wanted an arcade experience.  On one side there's the MVS and it uses those sized carts giving you a full arcade in one cabinet.  Then I was like, I could save, so went kind of the flash kit(but not) setup with the iCade and it wore its welcome out.  I ended up mostly valuing having a real arcade cabinet which was less than many, but more because it gave me more choices as it fits into just one unit.  And it's more because I have more invested in it than a pirate playground as it cost me little so I valued it little.

I haven't up until about a week ago added a game to the stack in over a year, but at the arcade expo found Top Player's Golf for MVS so I'm up to 35 carts.  Not bad when there's 150 legit titles, a bit less outside Japan.

I bought an MVS over 20 years go when I deemed AES collecting way too expensive, so I had to get a supergun and quickly started adding some F3 games and a few other dedicated jamma boards. Eventually I bought a cabinet too, which has been upgraded to a better Japanese cab since.

At the time most arcade PCBs could be had for less than $100, but I was trying to limit myself due to how much space they take up. Seeing how prices are nowadays, that's a little regrettable. 

Yet nowadays I do have around 160 arcade games, 50 or so being neo geo carts. The entire collection is featured here. I think it's a super solid selection if I have to say so myself:

https://arcade.eternal.dk

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Looks like some dude did a kickstarter to make a consolized MVS. Looks pretty solid

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orthros/orthros-mcs-01-the-1st-mvs-consolizer-kit

Holy crap. Im really tempted to buy, but the slight engrish in the description is making me uneasy. 

Sweet little kit though. Might take the gamble. 

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I bought an MVS over 20 years go when I deemed AES collecting way too expensive, so I had to get a supergun and quickly started adding some F3 games and a few other dedicated jamma boards. Eventually I bought a cabinet too, which has been upgraded to a better Japanese cab since.

At the time most arcade PCBs could be had for less than $100, but I was trying to limit myself due to how much space they take up. Seeing how prices are nowadays, that's a little regrettable. 

Yet nowadays I do have around 160 arcade games, 50 or so being neo geo carts. The entire collection is featured here. I think it's a super solid selection if I have to say so myself:

https://arcade.eternal.dk

Wow great collection. Wakuwaku7 is slick and crossed swords is my mini mvs grail. 

Curious to see your supergun setup as you obviously have a ton of different boards. 

And ill post my setup when I can later today. 

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Anyone feel lower serial numbers on MVS are “more collectible”? This is my copy of ninja combat. 51EC7448-0FDB-4B04-A71E-DB6F34EB1868.jpeg.1d163ad018c14c4de5ee7be4e869cce6.jpeg

It matters with other collectibles. I don’t see why it wouldn’t matter with games. I bet a lot of people couldnt care less, but a lot of others would care

• Like 1