IGNORED

Water Cooler!

a3quit4s

Ok someone has got to explain this to me:

With modern games that aren’t even multiplayer games right, I always see articles on whatever gaming news sites like “Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam player base in the last 6 months”. Isn’t this just how games go that have no multiplayer part? Like I bought Starfield and played it for like I dunno two weeks and that was that. Isn’t it sort of unrealistic that people would be playing a single player game like over a year later? Maybe I play a new release game for a month max and then move onto a new game. Are there really people out there who buy a single player RPG type game and still play it over a year later? I guess there are but they wouldn’t see like normal consumer to me. Same thing with Cyberpunk 2077 as another example. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/30/2024 at 4:54 PM, Tabonga said:

I looked at those awhile ago.  Unfortunately they seem riddled with errors. 

That one might not be too bad after a quick glance.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:11 PM, a3quit4s said:

Ok someone has got to explain this to me:

With modern games that aren’t even multiplayer games right, I always see articles on whatever gaming news sites like “Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam player base in the last 6 months”. Isn’t this just how games go that have no multiplayer part? Like I bought Starfield and played it for like I dunno two weeks and that was that. Isn’t it sort of unrealistic that people would be playing a single player game like over a year later? Maybe I play a new release game for a month max and then move onto a new game. Are there really people out there who buy a single player RPG type game and still play it over a year later? I guess there are but they wouldn’t see like normal consumer to me. Same thing with Cyberpunk 2077 as another example. 

So there’s that old quote, “there are three types of lies—lies, damned lies and statistics”. It sounds to me that someone is either trying to manipulate the success of the game or the parent company is trying to justify bad sales based off a poor metric.

Yes, there are some people that will get one game and play it for over a year.  Heck, some will even play one game for decades, but the fact is, they are all outliers.

For a single-player, modern, large open world RPG, I could see there being a usage drop-off 6-9 months after release because as you pointed out, people play games like that and move on.  But yes, 97% does seem a bit high.  Keep in mind, if they probably drop the price a bit to capture the people that interested but not at a launch, retail price point.  If they lowered the price 3-4 months after launch (and to be honest, I don’t know what would be standard) then I don’t know why it would be so low. But, alternatively, if they never dropped the price or even offered short term sales then that could be their problem.  The people that wanted the game, bought the game near launch.  They played it and now they’re done. These stats seem right to me. Even with a massive procedurally generated universe, people get bored with the experience after a while.

• Like 1

It’s not just me right, y’all notice brick and mortars are carrying less and less physical games? Target still has the most floor space dedicated to games but most of the shelves aren’t really ever stocked.  Best Buy cleared out a ton of physical games to the point where each console maybe has 10-20ft of shelf space at least by me. Walmart still seems to be the only one unchanged - same amount of big ass glass/plastic displays and almost all games are always in stock. Even GameStops near me seem to have less physical media and are jam packed with whatever crap (funko pops) they are trying to sell to stay afloat. 

Let me get your opinion:

I ordered two things off eBay last week and both came with free shipping. In the listing shipping service is defined as USPS Priority Mail but when both items were shipped (from different sellers) both used Ground Advantage which is a cheaper service that takes longer. Both packages are now past there expected delivery dates and likely would have been here today or sooner with Priority mail. 

Would you kick up a gripe with the sellers and ask for partial refunds for this? Both items were over $300 and boxed consoles. 

13 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Let me get your opinion:

I ordered two things off eBay last week and both came with free shipping. In the listing shipping service is defined as USPS Priority Mail but when both items were shipped (from different sellers) both used Ground Advantage which is a cheaper service that takes longer. Both packages are now past there expected delivery dates and likely would have been here today or sooner with Priority mail. 

Would you kick up a gripe with the sellers and ask for partial refunds for this? Both items were over $300 and boxed consoles. 

I'm 100% fine with sellers using the cheapest shipping method possible.  But they should be open about that and advertise it that way.  It would be nice to have the option for faster and more expensive shipping options, but not required.  I'm not a fan of sellers advertising a faster shipping method, but using a cheaper method.  

I think it's fair to at least message them about it and see if they are willing to work with you.  If they want to work with you, that's great.  If they don't, I wouldn't do business with them again.  I don't think it's worth going to war over. 

8 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm 100% fine with sellers using the cheapest shipping method possible.  But they should be open about that and advertise it that way.  It would be nice to have the option for faster and more expensive shipping options, but not required.  I'm not a fan of sellers advertising a faster shipping method, but using a cheaper method.  

I think it's fair to at least message them about it and see if they are willing to work with you.  If they want to work with you, that's great.  If they don't, I wouldn't do business with them again.  I don't think it's worth going to war over. 

I was gonna ask for like a 5% refund on each. I mean even if they were listed as being shipped ground advantage it wouldn’t have stopped me from buying them but it’s still sort of false advertising. Had they come on time I wouldn’t care either but it’s sort of annoying 

Well, as a casual seller, I've found there's nuance to this.  When you list an item for free shipping, I think eBay either defaults to the last shipment method you might have used, at least in a similar or same category.  They make assumptions about what might be the cheapest shipping method and just show that, or rather, they "calculate" what shipping they will use if you pay for shipping through eBay.

So, I'm not saying you can't force it but if you are a casual seller (or maybe if you go through a ton of inventory) but you just post stuff with free shipping, you may not know or pay attention to what eBay showed the buyer.   You then whichever tool you want to use for shipping labels and there may not be a match.

But, I will say that for a long time I used PirateShip.com and I still do out of habit.  However, every time I've checked which is probably 20 packages in the last year, eBay seems to have negotiated the same rates as Pirate Ship.  I recommend using their label service since they can deduct the cost straight form the sale so you don't have to get a deposit and then log the transaction in your bank register, or move the funds to Paypal, or whatever.  It really does cut down on a step.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it if the items are a couple of days late.  I personally don't pay attention to these details until items are really, really late.  USPS Ground is usually as fast as Priority Mail so I also see why a seller may not care.  Regardless, if you feel justified in asking for a refund because shipping prices are different, then do what you feel.  I guess you have that right and I wouldn't take issue with it if you did.

Edited by RH

36 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, as a casual seller, I've found there's nuance to this.  When you list an item for free shipping, I think eBay either defaults to the last shipment method you might have used, at least in a similar or same category.  They make assumptions about what might be the cheapest shipping method and just show that, or rather, they "calculate" what shipping they will use if you pay for shipping through eBay.

So, I'm not saying you can't force it but if you are a casual seller (or maybe if you go through a ton of inventory) but you just post stuff with free shipping, you may not know or pay attention to what eBay showed the buyer.   You then whichever tool you want to use for shipping labels and there may not be a match.

But, I will say that for a long time I used PirateShip.com and I still do out of habit.  However, every time I've checked which is probably 20 packages in the last year, eBay seems to have negotiated the same rates as Pirate Ship.  I recommend using their label service since they can deduct the cost straight form the sale so you don't have to get a deposit and then log the transaction in your bank register, or move the funds to Paypal, or whatever.  It really does cut down on a step.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it if the items are a couple of days late.  I personally don't pay attention to these details until items are really, really late.  USPS Ground is usually as fast as Priority Mail so I also see why a seller may not care.  Regardless, if you feel justified in asking for a refund because shipping prices are different, then do what you feel.  I guess you have that right and I wouldn't take issue with it if you did.

I asked on both and got about a 5% refund on both. You are usually right about Ground Advantage and Priority taking about the same time but with these two in particular, they both have been delayed and I’m annoyed about it. Plus if you are gonna ship USPS Ground Advantage just set that as your default shipping service and don’t be a lazy ass seller

Although the more people that know about and start using the cheaper service it’s bound to start taking longer and longer 

Edited by a3quit4s

• 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

So I was talking to one of my supervisors at work yesterday, and apparently her first job in the animation industry was doing cleanup on Aladdin's idle-cycle in the Genesis game...

I've been working with her for 2 years and I'm just learning this NOW!!?? Lost my mind a bit haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

So I was talking to one of my supervisors at work yesterday, and apparently her first job in the animation industry was doing cleanup on Aladdin's idle-cycle in the Genesis game...

I've been working with her for 2 years and I'm just learning this NOW!!?? Lost my mind a bit haha.

[T-Pac]

image.gif.256ffa33ffb86d68ab84f22fa939638d.gif

On 3/12/2024 at 9:37 PM, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

That's awesome 😎 

On a similar note, I'm friends of the guy who did the graphics for Aladdin on Famicom. 

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

That's awesome 😎 

On a similar note, I'm friends of the guy who did the graphics for Aladdin on Famicom. 

Oh sick! 

I've always wondered what it would've been like to be a graphics artist in the 8-bit / 16-bit era. Like - how much programming knowledge did they need, and what compromises did they have to make for system limitations and stuff?

[T-Pac]

17 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

Oh sick! 

I've always wondered what it would've been like to be a graphics artist in the 8-bit / 16-bit era. Like - how much programming knowledge did they need, and what compromises did they have to make for system limitations and stuff?

[T-Pac]

Cool! I'll send you a message about it this weekend. Also about another artist I know, who was involved in a totally different side of the industry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so by happenstance I needed new NES box protectors and ordered 25 from both Video Game Box Protectors and Retro Protection. I’ve been buying from VGBP for years and I was shocked to learn, in my opinion of course, the Retro Protection ones are better. Last I checked they are exactly the same price but the RP protectors are slightly thicker and feel more sturdy. I’m in shock over here