IGNORED

Looking for Original Xbox (exclusive) recommendations!

spacepup

2 hours ago, drxandy said:

a lot of em are also on PC buttttt

Armed and dangerous - Lucasarts published but made by the guys who did mdk (shiny studios) wacky weapons, Monty Python type humor, but a shooter. Some of the weapons are heckin funnnnnny. Overall Very silly and good dialog.

Kung Fu chaos - maybe didn't age so well but  regardless of offensive stereotypes the spirit of it is goofy and kinda a power stone style fighter with a lot of movie references, they were trying to be corny but it looks kinda questionable

Big yasss on voodoo Vince

All the sega stuff, jet set radio future,  gunvalkyrie,  panzer dragoon orta, crazy taxi 3, house of the dead 3 with guns, shenmue 2, otogi's, PSO, outrun, toe jam and earl

Games from rare ltd: grabbed by the ghoulies, conker,

Tecmo games: ninja gaiden's, dead or alive's (volleyball is practically a dating sim)

Kotor and Kotor 2 are on everything now but those were always high up on the recommends, but with new versions the loading time is probably much better, it felt like it took forever back in the day but not as long as Morrowind lol

I would also have said fable but that's got the anniversary edition on 360

Breakdown was interesting, first person vomiting in the first 10mins haha

Brute force - squad shooter but i beat it back in the day and enjoyed it,  would be fuzzy but I liked it for what it was worth

Oddworld's

Quantum redshift - futuristic racing, team that did the wipeout series 

Chronicles of Riddick - decent fps 

Blinx 1 and 2 are cute and one of the first games I remember having a rewind option, which was really cool at the time

Games I haven't played but look good -

Phantom dust, metal wolf chaos, arx Fatalis, call of Cthulhu, curse the eye of ISIS, Deus ex invisible war, dino crisis 3, ummm

I am not a fan of RPGs, but I thoroughly enjoyed Fable

Edited by Nugfish
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Ah I completely forgot to mention The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

I will forever be a champion of giving this game more love. I have not managed to properly replay it since 2005/2006 (despite a few attempts) but I remember it being an absolutely mind-blowing experience at the time. The rather unique way the game handled the first-person perspective and player physics combined with the stealth elements and interesting story progression...yeah, it was incredibly memorable. The game did *technically* get a port to PC but the port is notoriously uncooperative to get running on anything other than the specifically recommended hardware (I should know, I've tried 😢). A remaster of the game was also available as an extra with the sequel, Assault on Dark Athena (which I do own but sadly have still not played, for whatever reason). I seem to recall that comments at the time about the remaster were saying the new game engine made it feel a bit different to the original (different physics and lighting perhaps?). Long story short, Butcher Bay was an incredible game on the X-Box and one that seems unfortunately elusive to experience anywhere but on the original console.

Another amazing exclusive is Ninja Gaiden Black. Yes, the original Ninja Gaiden (2004) later got ports to some other platforms if I recall but Black stayed exclusive to the X-Box as far as I know. A tough-as-balls game but one that was soooooo satisfying when I finally powered through.

Riddick.jpg

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Fatal Frame II: Director's Cut

The original released on PS2, but a year later they released the DC version on Xbox. "The director's cut added in several updates, including a first-person play mode, a survival mode, a new ending, enhanced graphics, and a greater number of alternate costumes to unlock." Plus it looks better and the audio got bumped up to 5.1 Dolby surround for extra spookiness. I think it's enough new content to warrant a look, and it hasn't seen any kind of updated/release in the west.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

Another amazing exclusive is Ninja Gaiden Black. Yes, the original Ninja Gaiden (2004) later got ports to some other platforms if I recall but Black stayed exclusive to the X-Box as far as I know. A tough-as-balls game but one that was soooooo satisfying when I finally powered through.

I assumed Sigma built on top of Black

On 1/28/2023 at 3:42 PM, Webhead123 said:

You could be right. I'd forgotten all about Sigma and have still never played it.

From what I gather from internet research (NOT from experience):

Yes, Sigma was built on top of Black.  HOWEVER, Black is considered the best version.

General consensus is that Sigma looks better graphically, but just "feels wrong", whatever that means.

Also for those who care, Black is the only version with the 1980s arcade game as an unlockable.  The original version before Black had the original trilogy as unlockables (SNES versions).  Sigma had neither of these.

42 minutes ago, PekoponTAS said:

If you enjoyed the ToeJam and Earl series, the third one was exclusive to the Xbox. I've heard very mixed things about it, but that's kind of typical for the entire series to be honest. I've always wanted a little more of an excuse to buy an Xbox so I can play it. 🙂

Probably not much reason to buy an XBOX if you play games on PC because most of the exclusives made it to PC at some point...I think there was a MetalJesusRocks video on which ones didn't go to PC....If your a console gamer though, the graphics & controllers are much better than the PS2 IMO. There has also been a dedicated OG XBOX mod community for years so all the software is pretty well perfected. I had my console modded with a 1TB hard drive and every ROM I could possibly find and have absolutely loved it!

Edited by Nugfish

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

Probably not much reason to buy an XBOX if you play games on PC because most of the exclusives made it to PC at some point...I think there was a MetalJesusRocks video on which ones didn't go to PC....If your a console gamer though, the graphics & controllers are much better than the PS2 IMO. There has also been a dedicated OG XBOX mod community for years so all the software is pretty well perfected. I had my console modded with a 1TB hard drive and every ROM I could possibly find and have absolutely loved it!

Oh fuck, the definitive answer to this thread was staring us in the face this whole time, but I forgot to mention it @spacepup

🤣

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh fuck, the definitive answer to this thread was staring us in the face this whole time, but I forgot to mention it:

🤣

Thats the one I saw. Not MetalJesusRocks...I forgot that this was DefaultGen's video!

Edited by Nugfish

A game called “Enclave” is a personal favorite on mine on the OG Xbox. It’s a third-person fantasy action game with light RPG elements, that lets you play the game as the bad guys(orcs, goblins, etc) on a campaign against the humans after you’ve beaten it. 

Edited by Jandrem
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Ah, thanks for the suggestion Jandrem!

Enclave was later ported / released on PC, and coincidentally, I have it on Steam though I have not yet played it yet.  I'll try to give it a chance!

However, I also had Jade Empire on Steam, and it is acting really wonky, so I may end up playing that on OG Xbox after all!

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate all who took the time to share their ideas here, thanks!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Jandrem said:

A game called “Enclave” is a personal favorite on mine on the OG Xbox. It’s a third-person fantasy action game with light RPG elements, that lets you play the game as the bad guys(orcs, goblins, etc) on a campaign against the humans after you’ve beaten it. 

It just got ported to new consoles.  Even got a physical release.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ton of great memories playing Mech Assault.  Didn't play much of the single player mode though, so I can't way if its great or not.  But it's cheap enough to be worth checking out, and probably the sequel too.  Black Stone is a neat little Gauntlet clone with an anime skin.  I'm probably in the minority with this one, but I really dug WWE Raw 2 as well.  Especially since it's the only wrestling game I can think of where you can add in your own music for your entrance theme.  The gameplay was average but the customization was unprecedented.  Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x had the levels from the first two games plus 5 new ones, plus some other improvements, so if you like those games I'd say get that too.  Grabbed By the Ghoulies is also pretty awesome, though it can be skipped if you have a copy of Rare Replay (Xbox One).  

One feature that gets overlooked a bit is custom soundtracks.  Having a game play your favorite songs in the background may be interesting enough that a non exclusive might be more appealing if it's utilized.  Games will say on the back of the case if they take advantage of this, but it's definitely a highlight for many sports games in that era. 

• Like 1