• The Wallflowers - "One Headlight"
    • Avenged Sevenfold - "Hail to the King"
  3. 3. Choose one

• Soundgarden - "Outshined"
    • Shakira - "Hips Don't Lie"
  4. 4. Choose one

• Falling In Reverse - "Voices In My Head"
    • Prince - "When Doves Cry"

2112.  #1 was the only tough one for me as I really like both songs, but ultimately I went with the true classic of the two.  Plus, I've never confused lyrics in Drive for ones from a Sesame Street song, lol!

(And holy crap!!  After ruining "The Pretender" for years for people when pointing out my own weird ear worm with it, I went looking to see if I could find a video to explain this if anyone asked, and found this article where Dave Grohl says that subconsciously, he did the exact same thing while writing the song!!)

Out of curiosity, I actually blew up the bracket to see what was coming up, and man, the next one is going to have some seriously hard choices on it.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Can Prince pull off the 2nd ever sweep?  I like his odds.

nope. Prince is fine, but i'm not really a fan of that song.

i turned out to be a bit of a dissenter this round. of the 4 selections, 3 aren't close at all, and i was in on all 3 of them.

I actually always found The Pretender to be overrated and overplayed, but this is the first I've heard of Drive and I'd be happy to never hear it again.

One Headlight is literally a perfect pop rock song while Hail to the King is just a good rock song.

Hips Don't Lie is actually a pretty strong pop song, but Outshined is a top tier grunge-era song so I had to go with Chris Cornell.

Prince easily topples this generic modern rock song. In their defense, Falling in Reverse actually have some good tunes, but this isn't one of them.