IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 518/667 (bonus games - 41/100)

Beat Fantasy Zone II (Famicom), after a week or so of trying. It's a lot harder than the first one, and the slowdown is terrible, so it was a bit rough. I only beat it after reading an faq, and learning that there were invisible items/shops that you can uncover - that made it much more doable.

Just one part of the long and strange ending:

MMIWcsi.png

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 519/667 (bonus games - 44/100)

AD&D: Dragonstrike is done:

Dragonstrike_2023_01.jpeg.89c527b65974ed1b5daab29e6ab3c0a7.jpeg

Dragonstrike_2023_02.jpeg.6a356dca33655e03a9b200502dacff20.jpeg

Beaten on Hard mode with the gold dragon.

I also beat Dino Riki the other day, but used the continue code. I learned the other day that that code is given freely in the Japanese manual (not to mention that it's the simplest code in the world -- just hold any direction and press start).

Funny to think that the only thing standing between us and an easy clear is some random worker bee in the US office who chose not to put the code in, just overlooked it, or whatever.

Anyway, I'll probably keep working on Dino Riki...

• Like 1

This is a really neat project! Is it possible to retroactively claim a few games that I beat earlier this year?

The Last Starfighter:

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (Taito)

Laser Invasion - Beat March 01 2023

image.jpeg.248ba19f49f4864dbefabab6a97edab1.jpeg

Kings of the Beach - Beat February 13 2023

20230214_030323.jpg.17f055d304816793ae09fd372b167a17.jpg

Legend of Kage - Beat March 14 2023

Kage.jpg.6c670b5fa686ed08a158c4f710106a3f.jpg

L'Empereur - Beat March 27 2023 (Done on an Everdrive because my cart doesn't reliably hold a save file)

Lem.jpg.39427ca483228c8803aac2544e1cac8b.jpg

I'll stop there. Sorry for intruding as the new guy. 😛

Edited by TheGameDisplay
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheGameDisplay said:

This is a really neat project! Is it possible to retroactively claim a few games that I beat earlier this year?

I'll stop there. Sorry for intruding as the new guy. 😛

Welcome aboard! And you're definitely good, as no one else has beaten any of those yet this year. What else are you planning to play?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Welcome aboard! And you're definitely good, as no one else has beaten any of those yet this year. What else are you planning to play?

Thank you! I'm currently playing through every single North American NES game (including unlicensed ones, and without savestates and cheats) alphabetically. At this moment I am working on Little Ninja Brothers. I started the year with Incredible Crash Dummies, so I could technically fill in any gap between there and where I'm at now (with the exception of Kung Fu Heroes because I discovered the continue code by accident and decided to run with it. World 8 was still hard as heck regardless!)

I document some of my playthroughs on my YouTube channel, while other games I play more casually and then just document myself with photos like those posted above. I don't want to throw too many games at you all at once, but feel free to give me a shout if there's anything you'd like a hand with. 🙂

Edited by TheGameDisplay

17 minutes ago, TheGameDisplay said:

I think one should have to be an actual member during the time they beat the game in order for it to count for this forum's thread, but at the end of the day it's up to Scaryice since he's running the show, so I guess we'll wait and see what he says...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think one should have to be an actual member during the time they beat the game in order for it to count for this forum's thread, but at the end of the day it's up to Scaryice since he's running the show, so I guess we'll wait and see what he says...

That's fair too! I love NES games and just thought I'd share a few of my recent clears that were still unclaimed. But I'd hate to take games away from any more established members who might have tackled them.

2 minutes ago, TheGameDisplay said:

That's fair too! I love NES games and just thought I'd share a few of my recent clears that were still unclaimed. But I'd hate to take games away from any more established members who might have tackled them.

Yeah, it's not about "taking away games" so much as the point of the project is to see if members here can beat all the games in a year.  If we were just looking for anyone in the world to beat each game, scaryice could comb youtube in December every year and look for NES completions that were posted in the last 11 months.

That said, this whole thread is just for fun, so at the end of the day whatever scaryice decides will be fine with the rest of us either way... 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If we were just looking for anyone in the world to beat each game, scaryice could comb youtube in December every year and look for NES completions that were posted in the last 11 months.

This argument doesn't hold water, because random YouTubers aren't members of this forum. Furthermore, it's often difficult to tell if some of those playthroughs are using forbidden help like turbo controllers. 

The point is that our new friend is here and claiming their conquests in the appropriate way. The historical precedent was set when The Mexican Runner was recruited into joining Nintendo Age in the middle of his bid (2016?) to clear all licensed NES games. He was immediately credited with beating 10+ games that he had done that year and that hadn't yet been claimed. TMR was, afterall, a member who had beaten those games within that calendar year. 

Interestingly enough, TMR was also not credited with beating Kung Fu Heroes as he too had discovered and relied on the continue code.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 526/667 (bonus games - 46/100)
46 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

This argument doesn't hold water, because random YouTubers aren't members of this forum. Furthermore, it's often difficult to tell if some of those playthroughs are using forbidden help like turbo controllers. 

The point is that our new friend is here and claiming their conquests in the appropriate way. The historical precedent was set when The Mexican Runner was recruited into joining Nintendo Age in the middle of his bid (2016?) to clear all licensed NES games. He was immediately credited with beating 10+ games that he had done that year and that hadn't yet been claimed. TMR was, afterall, a member who had beaten those games within that calendar year. 

Interestingly enough, TMR was also not credited with beating Kung Fu Heroes as he too had discovered and relied on the continue code.

Well said, that was my thinking. Always happy to see more people joining and posting here!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I also beat Dino Riki the other day, but used the continue code. I learned the other day that that code is given freely in the Japanese manual (not to mention that it's the simplest code in the world -- just hold any direction and press start).

Funny to think that the only thing standing between us and an easy clear is some random worker bee in the US office who chose not to put the code in, just overlooked it, or whatever.

Anyway, I'll probably keep working on Dino Riki...

There's an argument to be made that since I've allowed people to count a version from another region (like someone playing a Famicom cart instead of an NES cart), then maybe the Japanese manual's code should be accepted? Hmm... Well, I'm pretty sure you can beat it without continuing. I tried playing it a little while ago and made it to level 4 twice, I think? It doesn't seem too rough until there, at least once I realized the wings existed.

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's funny how on top of all the other things Kung Fu Heroes shares with Super Mario Bros. (it's really surreal hearing the 1-up sound effect in a non-Mario game, especially considering that it's not even appropriately used when you get a 1-up!) it shares the continue code as well. Was there any particular connection between the games? Little Ninja Brothers is definitely an improvement, and it makes me want to go back and give Kung Fu Heroes another shot someday.

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Baby Boomer is done. This was my first time beating it solo, and I used a controller. It was definitely irritating, and I abused the hell out of the infinite continues. This one is definitely less aggravating if you can play it with a friend, with maybe one controller and one Zapper.

The trick is to hold the Zapper in one hand and the controller in the other. There were some parts, particularly in the hell level, where just by putting the controller cursor in a certain sport and holding the shoot button it made things a little easier. Nice job beating it! 😄

Edited by TheGameDisplay
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scaryice said:

There's an argument to be made that since I've allowed people to count a version from another region (like someone playing a Famicom cart instead of an NES cart), then maybe the Japanese manual's code should be accepted? Hmm... Well, I'm pretty sure you can beat it without continuing. I tried playing it a little while ago and made it to level 4 twice, I think? It doesn't seem too rough until there, at least once I realized the wings existed.

Yeah, I can make it to 4-2 or 4-3 with no problem. 4-3 is the real bottleneck in the game, though I played it a lot when I beat the game with the continue code so I know it fairly well by now. The biggest problem is that the platforming is so janky (mainly since you can't ever actually stand still), and if you miss or lose the wings...

15 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

The point is that our new friend is here and claiming their conquests in the appropriate way. The historical precedent was set when The Mexican Runner was recruited into joining Nintendo Age in the middle of his bid (2016?) to clear all licensed NES games. He was immediately credited with beating 10+ games that he had done that year and that hadn't yet been claimed.

I was unaware that a precedent had already been set, but there's no law saying that one must be bound eternally to one single decision from the past.  I personally think it's silly to count games completed by people who were not members when they accomplished said feats, but the point is moot, as scaryice has already rendered his verdict...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

What's with this elitist stuff? The rules state everyone must beat games entirely in 2023. Any other user might as well change their username or account for different reasons, including technical or security reasons. Everything is fine and within the rules. Where's the problem here?