IGNORED

Should Game Freak Get A Pass?

DarkTone

Should Game Freak Get A Pass?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does Pokemon deserve the same hate?

• Yes
    • No

I see people (rightfully) giving Game Freak crap for their technical incompetence and rehashed ideas. It is nuts to me how mediocre some Pokemon games are considering it's the close to the most popular thing on Earth.

Game Freak releases two essentially identical, unambitious, full-priced games every year or two in an attempt to milk people into spending $120 on the same thing as last time remixed a bit. They deserve as much crap as any other company for shitty monetization and rushed development. The literally release TWO OF THE SAME GAME CONSTANTLY.

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

They've released the same mediocre game like 50 times.  They've been getting a pass for 25 years at this point 😅

Is this thread also indicative of sports games lol

Pokemon is really just a sports game if you think about it. Same thing every year just with different names rosters

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

People love to complain about Pokémon.  Are people are just hateplaying these games?  For as much as they complain about Pokémon it is never enough to stop them from being first in line to play the new one.

(Buddy played the whole game and never had any issue.)

• Agree 2

Yeah Pokemon's gotten criticized plenty in recent years. At this point it looks to me like Sword/Shield has basically broken the fanbase's default goodwill and for any big future releases Game Freak will probably have to work harder at making the games better, interesting, or new if they want good reception. One assumes they might not care since Pokemon prints money regardless but a metacritic score below 75 (which the newest games got) probably could have a marginal impact on their revenue and they just might care enough to react to that if nothing else.

Pokemon does have longstanding issues but I have trouble not scoffing a little at the fan backlash. It seems to me like all this is really ultimately about:

1. Dexit and its continuing impact

2. Not taking the step forward people wanted when the series went from being a $40 handheld game to a $60 home-ish console game.

And that most people would probably be fine were it not for those. And as someone who peaced out of this franchise over a dozen years ago for reasons that obviously had nothing to do with either of those? It just seems a little silly that these were the last straw.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, fox said:

People love to complain about Pokémon.  Are people are just hateplaying these games?  For as much as they complain about Pokémon it is never enough to stop them from being first in line to play the new one.

(Buddy played the whole game and never had any issue.)

To @a3quit4s's point, replace "Pokemon" with "Madden" in this post 😄

I liked Sword and Shield right from the start, and pretty much knew all along that due to the ridiculous internet backlash over it that the next game would go in a direction I wouldn't like. Not only did it do that, but it's also a buggy mess. I haven't bought it, and don't intend to. I have no sympathy for Game Freak jumping on the open world fad train and paying the price for not being able to do it.

I was happy with the Pokemon formula staying the same forever, as were millions of other fans. Listening to the internet brigade who want a series to change because THEY'VE become bored with it rather than please the millions who still like it was always going to result in a failure.

Nintendo usually doesn't listen to internet feedback for good reason, because only the angriest people bother to scream about the games they hate online. For a series like Pokemon that had so many people happy with it, there was really no reason to change the formula at all other than to appease the people they shouldn't have given a crap about. Pokemon never really needed to innovate or change radically, and now I'm left wondering how they're planning to milk the ninth generation for three years if there's not a very positive scene surrounding it.

This industry wide drooling over Breath of the Wild's success really needs to go away, and hopefully more messes like Pokemon Violet come out and show that it's not a viable game design for most companies.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Pokemon is really just a sports game if you think about it. Same thing every year just with different names rosters

At least sports games have the excuse that the real life rosters change, and they have to make a new game to reflect that.

Of course, DLC roster updates are a thing, but people got to have the latest and greatest. 😛