IGNORED

Favourite Mario Soundtrack?

Nintegageo

Probably Super Mario Bros 3.  Enough of the iconic stuff from the previous (SMB1) entry made it in but touched up some with some nice beats, and well the rest of it are very memorable tracks that stick with you too from the various lands to the stages.  Not to say that Super Mario World was a slouch, but it's a slight notch lesser in the variety but not quality.

I do agree though Mario 64 has a fantastic soundtrack too, really to me, the last fairly universally great sound track of memorable music from the franchise.  Galaxy was up there too, but I can't place a lot of it by memory like I can with 64, and stuff since is pretty much background music and remix/remakes so there's that, other than that fun jam with Pauline with her swing style jam in Odyssey which is one off fantastic.

A year or two ago I got back in my hands out of the standard used CD rack the Mario 64 soundtrack NOA put out 25 years ago on disc which surprised me seeing it, brought it home, burned some MP3s and stuffed it on my phone.  I pull it out of the track list ever so often as it's good chill music.

That's a tough one.  I like Nintendo chiptunes, but I've always felt they've been "sufficient".  Few of them are songs I've enjoyed listening too outside of the given game itself, but the Mario/Nintendo team of musicians are masters at making music that fits the atmosphere, and excelling at that one specific task.

For that reason, I might actually have to go with SMB1.  Granted, all of their music is pretty catchy but there's something about the Stage-1 jingle that gets me excited to this day when I first hear it.

I'm not saying I don't like any of the other OSTs or tunes through out the series, it's just that whenever I've created playlists of either chiptunes or game soundtracks, I almost never pull from Nintendo's repertoire. I think the only solid exception is Metroid tunes.  I will listen to music from most of the third party devs, though. Sunsoft, Capcom, Square, etc.

1 hour ago, RH said:

That's a tough one.  I like Nintendo chiptunes, but I've always felt they've been "sufficient".  Few of them are songs I've enjoyed listening too outside of the given game itself, but the Mario/Nintendo team of musicians are masters at making music that fits the atmosphere, and excelling at that one specific task.

For that reason, I might actually have to go with SMB1.  Granted, all of their music is pretty catchy but there's something about the Stage-1 jingle that gets me excited to this day when I first hear it.

I'm not saying I don't like any of the other OSTs or tunes through out the series, it's just that whenever I've created playlists of either chiptunes or game soundtracks, I almost never pull from Nintendo's repertoire. I think the only solid exception is Metroid tunes.  I will listen to music from most of the third party devs, though. Sunsoft, Capcom, Square, etc.

You should look into this, you'll be blown away I think.  Direct feed copies of the various Famicom Mario game musics, from the main line to the odd stuff (puzzles, etc) all here.  Pretty cheap disc to get (I have it, the Zelda the Music one too.)

https://www.mariowiki.com/Famicom_Sound_History_Series:_Mario_the_Music

I've been thinking about this for two days now and I just can't pick a favorite. Every game has one or two tracks that, for me, are excellent and unforgettable. But I don't feel like any one game has a full soundtrack that's clearly above the rest. I will say that I'm probably alone in that the SMB3 soundtrack is my least favorite.