IGNORED

Wongo is here

Hey folks - I used to post on NA occasionally and have made my way around the forum sites for years.  As forums are dwindling a bit, I mainly spend my time on AtariAge, but I like to talk about all types of video games classic, modern, whatever.  I am wongojack pretty much everywhere, so you might see me pop up here and there.  I can never get enough of this sh!+, so I am constantly trying out old games and computers or consoles that I've never tried before, and I like to come and talk about it.

Playing Games

In this specific moment, I am playing the Return of the Jedi arcade game a lot and also poking around with Spectrum emulation.  I also threw a few high scores into the Intellivision high score club recently, and I finally won Defender of the Crown on the Atari ST, but I am just as likely to move on to something completely different this weekend.  Who knows.

Collecting

I don't have many collecting goals anymore.  I play a lot of original consoles and computers with flash carts as my preferred method of actually playing games, so that has slowed me down quite a bit, and the allure of storing cardboard boxes inside other boxes inside a closet has worn off.  The area where I tend to be weak is Gameboy.  If I see a big Gameboy lot, I have to check it out.  Those games take up so little space that I tend to splurge when I shouldn't.

Modding, hacking, repairing

I tinker quite a bit, but I'm no engineer.  I've built custom controllers and repaired many consoles and controllers.  I currently have a front loader NES opened up where I think the voltage regulator is bad (but it might be worse).  I'd like to build one of those replacement PCBs from scratch some day and have designs on even building a computer from chips.  Would also like to recap and future proof my Vectrex and Asteroids Deluxe arcade machine - a bunch of other projects like that.

Programming

I used to do some but haven't really found the time or motivation lately.  Most of what I did would be considered hacking or bug fixes.  I'm not a good "blank canvas" type of guy, but I can figure stuff out.

Anyway - glad to be here

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Welcome! Sounds like you've got a lot of experience with the truly retro stuff, which is always great. Do you have a favorite game and console?

It's so hard to pick.  I love to bounce around these days, but whenever I am asked to pick the game that influenced me the most, I usually say Pitfall! for the 2600. I was born in '76 and was just a young kid. It really captured my imagination to be able to control a human character on the TV.  If pressed for my favorite game, I'll say Pirates! for the C64, but I have had so many games influence me that it's hard to pick one.  This might be a personal top 10 list I'd be satisfied with (for a few moments anyway)

• Pitfall!
  • Pirates!
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Wing Commander
  • Tomb Raider
  • Resident Evil
  • Madden NFL 200x
  • God of War
  • Mass Effect 
  • Batman Arkham xyz

I will say that I've noticed for most adult gamers that they usually have a period away from games when they are maturing around 16-20.  That time for me was the prime of the SNES and Genesis, so I really don't have much nostalgia for those systems or the 16-bit era in general.  I still like to go back and play those games, but it wasn't something I was into at the time at all.

Website question.  How do I get notifications when someone replies to my thread?  I got a notification when someone "liked" my post by not from these replys.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, wongojack said:

It's so hard to pick.  I love to bounce around these days, but whenever I am asked to pick the game that influenced me the most, I usually say Pitfall! for the 2600. I was born in '76 and was just a young kid. It really captured my imagination to be able to control a human character on the TV.  If pressed for my favorite game, I'll say Pirates! for the C64, but I have had so many games influence me that it's hard to pick one.  This might be a personal top 10 list I'd be satisfied with (for a few moments anyway)

• Pitfall!
  • Pirates!
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Wing Commander
  • Tomb Raider
  • Resident Evil
  • Madden NFL 200x
  • God of War
  • Mass Effect 
  • Batman Arkham xyz

I will say that I've noticed for most adult gamers that they usually have a period away from games when they are maturing around 16-20.  That time for me was the prime of the SNES and Genesis, so I really don't have much nostalgia for those systems or the 16-bit era in general.  I still like to go back and play those games, but it wasn't something I was into at the time at all.

Website question.  How do I get notifications when someone replies to my thread?  I got a notification when someone "liked" my post by not from these replys.

Great list! I love that it spans so many generations. I'm always a bit bummed when someone's top ten is exclusively games over thirty years old.  Don't ge me wrong, I love retro games. But there are also so many amazing modern games!

I had the same experience of dialing down on the gaming in my late teens and early twenties. There was a period where I just didn't have time with school, social engagements, extracurriculars, jobs, etc. My first two years of college were even worse as I was struggling just to survive. I really missed out on the PS2, Xbox, and PS3, although I did sneak in some time with the 360 towards the later years of college.

In terms of default notifications, if you are following a thread (light blue button above the first post), you should get notifications whenever someone adds to it. Since you started this thread, you will automatically be following it (you can confirm this by clicking the "1" just to the right of the word "Follow") and should receive notifications whenever someone chimes in. Additionally, you will receive notifications when someone "reacts" to your post or quotes you, even if you're not following that thread. If you don't like these settings, notifications are all customizable through the Account Settings page (https://www.videogamesage.com/notifications/options/).

Welcome!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Link said:

0ABBC40B-629F-4B2D-89DD-5941D2189137.png.92cf6869d0344feec36dfa6e229f14fa.png

It is with great regret I need to inform the community that approximately 1 month ago, the water bottle pictured here was lost in a freak scooter accident. 😔

I entrusted my backpack to my son, Jamie (9), only to find the bottle missing from the side pocket once we had reached our destination.

Although we shall collectively mourn the passing of my prior water bottle, please be assured that my son was punished mercilessly for his misdeed, and that a new water bottle of an identical make and model was immediately bought as a replacement. 😇

All hail new water bottle.

IMG20220827011937.thumb.jpg.6e67618b85971b3f98cdd6947028a142.jpg

And fuck plant. 😒

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

@wongojack I don't mean to confuse you.

That's the welcome plant. There's a whole story behind it, I think it was given to @optout by his coworkers for his birthday, which he thought was pretty stupid (honestly I don't blame him) and he sold it to @richardhead, which necessitated overseas shipping. And it was never seen again, but that picture became the thing that somebody posted in every intro thread on NA for a while. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about any details.

I wasn't involved with any of it, but I had the picture and I just try to keep up the tradition cuz nobody else was doing it here and it's a fun silly thing.

Edited by Link
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...