IGNORED

Shipping empty boxes - Unfold or keep intact?

The kicker is if they have the styrofoam block, inserts, manuals etc. Having to sift through all papers to figure out what goes with what would be mildly infuriating on a high dollar purchase.

If they're only the boxes I would go the flat route too, not just for shipping cost but also so they had less chance of getting any damage during transit.

I think condition also matters.  If you opened these things, took out the games as a kid, and they've been setting in a box for 30+ years untouched and are in mint shape, I'd ship them AS-IS.  If they are a little worn, then flattening them probably isn't going to change the value or desirability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I also had a large lot of GBA games from a couple of years ago of about 20 boxes an they were all flattened.  Nothing of much value an most were in "Fair" condition.  Coincidentally, last week I opened them all up and packed the items inside because I might try to sell some of them in lots.  The kind that have the four tabs that interlock together always have fold damage, so don't take those apart if condition is important. I think some NES games were assembled that way.  The ones that had the standard long tab that tucks in were fine, but you will need to fold the box back in the opposite direction pretty hard to "restore" the natural shape of the box.  Regardless, these display mostly fine but they are also mostly $30 or less game.  If these were +$100 items, it would annoy me to no end.

Personally if they're not worth like over $50 a pop I'd flatten them and if they are NES with foam blocks, still do it just line up the blocks as quite a few would fit into an opened box.  If you're worried someone will lose their tiny mind over which unmarked block would go to each box, use some color coded post its and just slice off the sticky bit and do a game of color match.  Then as far as boxes go, tissue paper wrapped around each individually so they don't rub on each other, some cardboard on both sides and maybe some layers between for sturdiness sake.  From there a nice light box with some bubbles, peanuts, whatever for the empty space so there's no risk of rips, dents, just damage in general.  If it were just one I've always had 100% luck as I do with magazines, sandwiched in cardboard, paper wrapped, bubble bag of the appropriate size as that alone gets quite stiff.

With NES games, I'd leave them intact. As Hammerfestus points out, those bottom flaps are very easy to damage (even minimally). But for any box (NES or otherwise) in excellent shape, I would avoid flattening. Pack it like you would a CIB game: bubblewrap + void fill + sturdy box.  

For less fickle boxes (e.g. SNES, N64with wear, I flatten, place between cardboard flats, and slide into a bubble mailer. Make sure the fit is fairly snug, don't want the game box to slide out between the flats (or you can tape a couple sides).