IGNORED

Anyone have an irrational fear (and willing to discuss?)

RH

Snakes and spiders? Nah, that’s not irrational, unless seeing one makes you want to hide in your house for three days.  I’m talking about the stuff that nearly paralyzes you or is over exaggerated for you more than other fears.

For me, it’s sinkholes. I live in an area where small ones pop up frequent enough for you to know that they exist.  Also about 15 years ago, in a near by town, a sinkhole opened up at a car dealership and at a brand new Corvette!

There was a story posted this weekend of a sinkhole that opened up in a pool in Israel and killed a man.

I know I love nowhere near Israel but it makes my heart race nervously just thinking about it and it seriously makes me want to contemplate moving to an areas where they don’t naturally occur.  With no warning, the earth can open up and swallow you whole! That’s not like storms, floods or tornadoes.  At least there are signs that those might cause problems, but a sinkhole is just quick boom—it’s there and your gone.

Heck no… heck, heck, heck no.

How about you guys? What are your unreasonable fears.

• Like 1

My college where I went to undergrad had a sinkhole problem. First it hit the marching band practice field the year before I started, then one hit the new football stadium as it was being built. Wild stuff.

My irrational fear? Is submechanophobia irrational? I have a hard time looking at the sunken battleships at Pearl Harbor, underwater photos of submarines, ship propellers, etc. One time I was at an aquarium and there was a room they let you take a look in that had all the pressure valves and piping for all the various tanks. That freaked me out big time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

My college where I went to undergrad had a sinkhole problem. First it hit the marching band practice field the year before I started, then one hit the new football stadium as it was being built. Wild stuff.

My irrational fear? Is submechanophobia irrational? I have a hard time looking at the sunken battleships at Pearl Harbor, underwater photos of submarines, ship propellers, etc. One time I was at an aquarium and there was a room they let you take a look in that had all the pressure valves and piping for all the various tanks. That freaked me out big time.

That's a good one.  I've never heard of that and I'd say it fits the "irrational" description, but  I say that with no shame.

I'm terrified of closed up dandelions. It stems back to when we were younger, and my brother pulled some out of the lawn and chucked them at me. We called them "Mommylions", since we mispronounced dandelion as "Daddylion".

Horrible stuff, even as a teenager I felt f'ing queasy around them whilst being paid to weed gardens.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm terrified of closed up dandelions. It stems back to when we were younger, and my brother pulled some out of the lawn and chucked them at me. We called them "Mommylions", since we mispronounced dandelion as "Daddylion".

Horrible stuff, even as a teenager I felt f'ing queasy around them whilst being paid to weed gardens.

It's not a phobia for me but a similar experience. When I grew up, we were kind of poor.  My parents always had a garden and one year we had about a quarter acre of land we were gardening.  A staple vegetable was yellow squash.  I hated it, but since it was "free" and abundant in the summer, I had to eat it.

Every year, the hatred got worse and worse until one year my Mom served me some and I literally went to the bathroom and vomited.  I never had to eat yellow squash ever again and to this day I think it's the nastiest food in existence.  I'd rather eat chilled monkey brains than that stuff! 

1 hour ago, RH said:

It's not a phobia for me but a similar experience. When I grew up, we were kind of poor.  My parents always had a garden and one year we had about a quarter acre of land we were gardening.  A staple vegetable was yellow squash.  I hated it, but since it was "free" and abundant in the summer, I had to eat it.

My family lived in similar circumstances.  Usually my father planted things that were pretty useful - one year he decided to raise a bumper crop of zucchini. What a worthless vegetable!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabonga said:

My family lived in similar circumstances.  Usually my father planted things that were pretty useful - one year he decided to raise a bumper crop of zucchini. What a worthless vegetable!

That's why drive-by zucchini-ing (leaving unrequested baskets of that crap on people's doorsteps at night) is a thing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nrslam said:

That's why drive-by zucchini-ing (leaving unrequested baskets of that crap on people's doorsteps at night) is a thing!

I don't know what got into him that year - usually he planted watermelons, pumpkins, strawberrys, corn etc.  Those were doable.

• Like 1

@RH Since you brought it up with sinkholes, look up the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.  A few years back this national museum had a good chunk one day swallowed up from the inside out into a giant one of those, the damage to some specific cars were a huge loss and plenty of images online can be found.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox said:

For as much as I like horror movies I can’t watch any show that depicts surgery, real or fake.  I also have to look away anytime I give blood

Interesting, also not a fear for me but when I was a kid I LOVED it when TLC/Discovery (one of those...) started having surgeries on TV, but there was one type of surgery I could NOT look at--eye.  NOOOOOOO!  Everything else is 100% ok, but eye damage really, really get's to me.  I have no clue why.

Edited by RH

I have like mad claustrophobia. If I have to crawl longer than a few yards, and have doubts about getting out, I nope out of it. I don't know how dudes do caving and go into long crawlspaces. Heck, seeing shit like that in movies and TV shows drives me up the wall.

When I kick off, I'm having a Viking funeral. Rather be cremated out in the open than end up in a box.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Microwave ovens. 

You know how the concept of using microwaves for cooking came from a guy walking through a radar room and the chocolate bar in his pocket melting? That freaking terrifies me. Always has. Getting melted/burned from an invisible source like radiation and having them in virtually every household/business for any idiot to operate? Oof. My phobia exponentially increased when I was in middle school and the radio in my kitchen started picked up the frequency of the microwave when it was on. My brain pieced together that microwaves are dangerous and that some radiation does escape the oven regardless of the precautions in place. It's been game over since then lol.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:42 AM, RH said:

Snakes and spiders? Nah, that’s not irrational, unless seeing one makes you want to hide in your house for three days.  I’m talking about the stuff that nearly paralyzes you or is over exaggerated for you more than other fears.

For me, it’s sinkholes. I live in an area where small ones pop up frequent enough for you to know that they exist.  Also about 15 years ago, in a near by town, a sinkhole opened up at a car dealership and at a brand new Corvette!

There was a story posted this weekend of a sinkhole that opened up in a pool in Israel and killed a man.

I know I love nowhere near Israel but it makes my heart race nervously just thinking about it and it seriously makes me want to contemplate moving to an areas where they don’t naturally occur.  With no warning, the earth can open up and swallow you whole! That’s not like storms, floods or tornadoes.  At least there are signs that those might cause problems, but a sinkhole is just quick boom—it’s there and your gone.

Heck no… heck, heck, heck no.

How about you guys? What are your unreasonable fears.

This happened years ago,I live not to far from Seffner so it's just crazy.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/massive-sinkhole-swallowed-florida-man-reopens-years/story?id=33181156

1 hour ago, Pikkon said:

This happened years ago,I live not to far from Seffner so it's just crazy.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/massive-sinkhole-swallowed-florida-man-reopens-years/story?id=33181156

Oh, I remember that from 2013. If I recall, he was the first man in recorded history to die in a sinkhole, or at least in the US.

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I have like mad claustrophobia. If I have to crawl longer than a few yards, and have doubts about getting out, I nope out of it. I don't know how dudes do caving and go into long crawlspaces. Heck, seeing shit like that in movies and TV shows drives me up the wall.

When I kick off, I'm having a Viking funeral. Rather be cremated out in the open than end up in a box.

Word.