IGNORED

Wood working

fcgamer

Anyone involved in wood working? Carve a sculpture out of a block? Made a cabinet? A racecar?

My grandfather used to make crates and sell them at a local farmers fair, before that he did some furniture and stuff too.

I sadly never learnt this trade, though this weekend I'm going to make a coffee table for my abode, and I wish I had his knowledge.

Let's discuss wood working.

I do woodworking projects often. From building my own shelving units and some finished furniture, to framing (2) sheds, building planter boxes, fence repair and general home repair. 

the hardest thing ive found is that tools take up space. 

As far as best tools are concerned, nothing beats festool. 

• Like 1

I just want to post in another place the crowning achievement amongst famous woodworkers and a once in a lifetime project that I completed. I present, the shitty shelves. 

Incorrect measurements? Check.

Not square? Check.

Wasn't big enough to hold all the N64 games? Check.

Bottle your jealously.

656F3B2F-6797-4D78-8DE7-8561B91A2ADC.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I just want to post in another place the crowning achievement amongst famous woodworkers and a once in a lifetime project that I completed. I present, the shitty shelves. 

Incorrect measurements? Check.

Not square? Check.

Wasn't big enough to hold all the N64 games? Check.

Bottle your jealously.

656F3B2F-6797-4D78-8DE7-8561B91A2ADC.jpeg

3rd shelf looks like it sticks out on the left. It's a nice looking shelf though. Can't you just add more on top? 

40 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

3rd shelf looks like it sticks out on the left. It's a nice looking shelf though. Can't you just add more on top? 

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the shitty shelves have been broken down to provide wood the queen of England for a new desk. But that would have worked if I didn’t shitcan them when we moved. 

I recently decided to get into woodworking. I upgraded a bunch of my tools, got a jointer and a planner.  So far I'm still working on setting up the workshop, all I have built is this workbench.  Soon once I get everything set up I will build some cutting boards.  

-6YkHpxhXbShmHBqSwCbwqQ59jms-Ysm1gncHoqZnvE-dnd8yxWp-ZKaevoy7jklxCT2P_eHdfJrNl9ZmqqUi59mo9UjJiqToycECq9VXKXc2w86bumJ7md-U-K3-S1djk3_nmOooqtkeGSaHleVPfcse8_nBO8hz_Cmpt1YS797R_dcE6xE6-qaClIdjRGHI2Y1iTYU2A-cIRvrtpThUHTdUhMTQYQiUSE2dax7KDulSZiALfg_M9noVZSjLLskPxxzKtqL_1WQMqFN5zendqmerafA5sgKljklG5zs5NpKAnSf4iA2apibojVKgyY4zWxROQO-sW28VYGoqe5DpWDcEdMmF8lqAToeoRB3IvdCNnLr-hYEhbTBONfhJ-BYL8I1Z4dHnKaW9cGcz0N64xamb_8awi8oCiGSlIq1XyDJIc7xvIgfqYgCBg78DpfJxjuEDgciGnhyOi3mqoSmUIcQFyt1kmXO5FMvaM0rU1lgwVNvq1mkivWp0POHnHVkPOPOGPs9AWOmI3vUjCnXse0mGsTaO7NdyvOAUg_0wmJTuiJ9BwWKiTcTSB3aw6czcj51Bfl6asuaEP2RDetkAWP5bgiVGJWRHF1tVxqMYTiQWnySTykjotgrBLcvhlBRUJc5VcCDzYxCaHyaNgWzMBtAPHMH63wNcluyQGjWXQZsN504hmS2fQYAvv2vqDkhPsTPdNwASERAwM4AGNFXmcfXHQuWCmrWGaEKJl7t1GMtDtEW2iq6AYUAv4_Edw=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

Editorials Team · Posted

My dad did woodworking, when he retired he redid his entire kitchen with new cabinets, drawers, errythang. The older I get, the more I'm getting into it myself. I only have a couple of hand tools and a tablesaw so far. SO FAR.

Ooh, maybe someone here knows: There's a kind of shelf I'm trying to find the name of, where you mount uhh, big pokey things onto the wall, and the shelf is a thick piece of wood that slides onto the pokey things so that they're completely hidden and it's a floating shelf. Does that make sense? Googling "big pokey things" isn't getting me the search results I'd hoped for.

22 minutes ago, Splain said:

My dad did woodworking, when he retired he redid his entire kitchen with new cabinets, drawers, errythang. The older I get, the more I'm getting into it myself. I only have a couple of hand tools and a tablesaw so far. SO FAR.

Ooh, maybe someone here knows: There's a kind of shelf I'm trying to find the name of, where you mount uhh, big pokey things onto the wall, and the shelf is a thick piece of wood that slides onto the pokey things so that they're completely hidden and it's a floating shelf. Does that make sense? Googling "big pokey things" isn't getting me the search results I'd hoped for.

It's just called a floating shelf, and the pokey things are the floating shelf brackets. 

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, B.A. said:

It's just called a floating shelf, and the pokey things are the floating shelf brackets. 

Looks like there are a handful of things that various places call "floating shelf brackets" but I'm definitely seeing what I was looking for, thanks!

Social Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, Splain said:

Yeah I was looking at french cleats, I'm not 100% decided on what to use. I'm hanging biggish shelves that are likely to hold a bunch of books. What would you use?

French cleats will work.  The more weight you want it to hold the bigger the cleat you'll want to use (3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 7/8).  I've seen YouTube videos where the guy was easily able to put his whole body weight into the single cleat.  Just got to make sure your anchoring is as strong as the cleat.  Be smart and make the cleats with something like plywood and not MDF.  Watch a couple of projects that use French cleats and you'll get a feel for what size and type of wood you should use for your project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Yeah I was looking at french cleats, I'm not 100% decided on what to use. I'm hanging biggish shelves that are likely to hold a bunch of books. What would you use?

French cleat, and cut sheetrock so cleat is directly lagged into studs with at least 1/4”lags (countersunk, and pilot holed)

Post style floating shelf brackets Are great for a couple pictures or some video games. But a large book collection you would need something heavier duty (IMO) like a cleat. There is a reason why cabinets are hung off cleats. 

post style can flex at middle of their span when COG goes further out

• Thanks 1