IGNORED

Megaman zero Collection

phart010

I had never played through the Megaman Zero Or Megaman ZX games.

A few days ago I played through Megaman Zero 1 on the Switch collection. As a huge Megaman and Megaman X fan, honestly was not too impressed. 

I’m ok with the game being much more story driven and the controls are fine, just like Megaman X. And the game has a high but fair level of difficulty, which I am perfectly fine with. But something about this game just feels very bland.

Obviously the soundtrack is lacking. I don’t know if that translates into the entire gaming experience feeling boring or if there is something else more subtle that I am not enjoying.

From what I heard, the storyline for this game series (and ZX)  is pretty good, so I’m going to play it through to the end.

Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on this.

I've beaten all four Zero and both ZX games, on the regular, non-baby mode.

Zero 1 and and ZX 1 were unfortunately the weakest entries of these.

I don't feel the individual games are particular memorable or super great, not sure why. Possibly intense action games like this just aren't best experienced on a portable console. But Zero 2/3/4 and ZX Advent were still a pretty fun time and if you've already seen the back of Zero 1 you should definitely keep going and at least give Zero 2 a try.

I played all four as they came out on GBA, and they are pretty rough at points. The first and fourth ones aren't too hot, but I really liked the third one. Much like the old Sonic games, they're pretty rough first playthroughs, but become awesome once you sink a lot of time into getting good at them.

Edited by Lynda Monica
Said three instead of four like a moron.

The Mega Man Zero series gets a lot better after the first one. 3 and 4 are decent games, but I agree nothing that special. I like the good X games a lot better, and the classic series much more.

A lot of people are weirdly fond of the MMZ games, and I don't really get the obsession, I don't think Inti Creates have a very good sense for designing these types of games, and their level design usually ends up being either straightforward and boring, or annoying and frustrating.

As for the story and talking scenes, do yourself the favor of skipping all the ones you can. It's pretty cringeworthy 😄 

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

I played Zero 2 recently and wasn't a fan. The low GBA screen resolution and large sprites mean the playfield is zoomed in way too much. The level design is also not great. I don't need this much story in my Mega Man games. Penalizing the player's rank for using upgrade elves and having elves that are only single use for the entire game isn't fun.

I think the comparison to Sonic games is apt. The game wants you to replay over and over to perfect your runs of each level to get a high rank. But...I don't want to do that.

When it came out years ago I felt the same, stiff challenge, to the point I put it down because it felt as you said, bland, so not worth it.  I detested the save on it too on GBA because it saved everything, including if you were on no lives left and 1 pip of health kind of cheap saving mechanic, bad combo.  I think it was early this year, but I found a well miss marked copy at second hand for the DS release which also is a collection of the Zero games and figured whatever...try it open minded or trade bait.  I still have it.  I found it a bit more fun, not really easier, but not worse as before because it seemed a bit less pissy about the saving.  Maybe I'm remembering that wrong as I don't see a note about that with posts online so far.

There was an easy mode which slightly nicer but also forces a straight play of 1-4, I went into 1 on its own.  I'm not sure if thats like the Switch one?  The DS game captures MMZ1-4.  Easy mode unlocks everything in each game from the very start (hp, stats, all elfs), and lets you play the games straight through. Only one save slot and EX skills still must be earned.

• 4 weeks later...

I had never played one until the Switch release. I beat the first 3 and then got most of the way through 4 until I got to some bazooka guy without levelling up my character enough and now I have to start over because the save points is right before him and I can't go back to level up. It's impossible for me to beat him at my current level, I spent days trying.

11 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I had never played one until the Switch release. I beat the first 3 and then got most of the way through 4 until I got to some bazooka guy without levelling up my character enough and now I have to start over because the save points is right before him and I can't go back to level up. It's impossible for me to beat him at my current level, I spent days trying.

I ran across a similar issue in MMZ1. The auto save just before the final boss, if you get there then there’s no way to go back. The game gives you infinite lives so you can’t game over and get beach to hq. And you can’t go backwards from the last stage. So your only choice is to defeat the final boss. Problem is if you are not prepared to fight him, then it makes beating him near impossible.