IGNORED

For those with cats, where do you keep the litterbox?

fcgamer

In the hallway, in what used to be a linen closet. We really need to figure out something better though. We're considering putting it in a bigger closet with a flap in the door and a divider to let us still use the top half. We have two male cats and they're pretty messy.

As someone who loves cats, but hates litter boxes, this has been the bane of my existence. 

I built a decent size cage out of wood, then cut a hole from my kitchen to my garage. I then placed cage over hole, so they Poo and pee in garage technically. Id rather it stink out there than in house. Ill post a pic later if I remember. 

• Like 1

We originally had it in the little "closet" that our HVAC and water heater are in, but one of our old cats got to the point where she was missing the box constantly, so it got moved upstairs, into the bathroom.  No carpet or wood for anything to soak into should someone miss, and now that we're (sadly) down to one cat, it's generally easier than ever to take care of.  Only "rough" part of it is occasionally having to sweep the tile floor upon entering because the cat has knocked some loose litter out while in the box or tracked it out when leaving.

There was a very brief time that we had a small one in the kitchen, as my wife's elderly cat had begun using the floor in the kitchen versus climbing the steps to the litter box, but it was immediately clear that it was just spite/communication on the part of the cat, as she continued using the floor even after the box was put out there...right next to it, versus in the spot(s) where she had been randomly going.  Never had such a problem out of the other two cats, not even once.  There's the occasional bit of stuff that gets thrown out when burying, or maybe a dribble near the entrance when someone squats too close, but nothing deliberate the way it was with the elderly cat.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Live in an apartment, so options are not plentiful.  However there is a small closet in the hallway just big enough to fit the litter box, so there. 

I was concerned about the cat mistakenly closing the door to it, and then not being able to get to the box, while I was not home. So I screwed a small piece of wood in the inside of the door frame, that way the door is always a jar.

Bathroom (I use Titty, eh, kitty, eh TIDY Cats litter!!)...and believe it or sometimes we'll both end up do our business at the same time!  You know, plop plop, wizz wizz? 😄 

Isn't it a LOT better for kitties to be able to do their business whenever they want...as opposed to having to go out in the freezing cold and can only go uno or dos during those times like you would that other species?

And be sure you keep up that litter box as often as you should or they'll snitch on you!!!

Imagine if you had to keep up with this many litter boxes!!! 😮 

Edited by Estil

9 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

As someone who loves cats, but hates litter boxes, this has been the bane of my existence. 

Yes, this has been my problem as well, though like a few others here, I'm also in an apartment with limited choices.

I want to turn the art gallery into a dining room, but then I'm not sure where to put the litter box. 

Basement level hallway and a second one in breakfast nook. Not the most ideal places, but it inspires me to keep up with them often. 

I also discovered these and can not live without them. They are super rugged and have no issues with my cats tearing them while burying their poops. Just pull the drawstring up and drop into another garbage bag. Then sweep underneath and white vinegar in a spray bottle to neutralize the smell. 

download.jpeg.ee8db5075897e5026a5237618bfe22bf.jpeg

21 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Basement level hallway and a second one in breakfast nook. Not the most ideal places, but it inspires me to keep up with them often. 

I also discovered these and can not live without them. They are super rugged and have no issues with my cats tearing them while burying their poops. Just pull the drawstring up and drop into another garbage bag. Then sweep underneath and white vinegar in a spray bottle to neutralize the smell. 

download.jpeg.ee8db5075897e5026a5237618bfe22bf.jpeg

May have to try that. We got a different kind that was also tear resistant and they scratch right through them. But our cats love scratching until they get to the bottom, sometimes scratching for minutes at a time.