IGNORED

Curated Game Sets: Super Nintendo / Super Famicom

fcgamer

I'm obviously not a huge Super Nintendo fan, though I did grab a few boxed Super Famicom games (Pilot Wings and Final Fantasy VI) a few weeks back, as the price and condition were both right. 

Final Fantasy VI, I love that game, well I had played the Super Nintendo FFIII version. I'll never play the one I just bought, I don't understand Japanese writing aside from kanji, and I just don't have time to be playing such large games anymore, despite loving this one. I originally passed the game up, but had the nagging feeling to go back and grab it, as it felt to me a title that should be in any gamer's collection.

As for Pilot Wings, I never played any of them, but I felt similarly that perhaps it should be in a gamer's collection, so I went back and grabbed it too, five minutes after leaving the shop. I also grabbed a few PlayStation games for the same reason.

With that being said, I'm going to take a step away from my usual stance (Full Set or No Set) and make an exception with the SNES / SFC. Likely I'll start a similar thread for the PlayStation later, and take a similar approach. With such large sets of games, I just have little desire to actually go for full sets here, unless someone can convince me otherwise. 

Anyways, I am looking for games that fall into categories such as these:

A. It's just honestly a fun game. 

I am talking stuff like Super Mario World here. I don't want titles such as the equivalent to Jaws or Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu on the NES, where I personally think they're fun games yet many don't. I mean something that the general consensus is that it's fun.

B. The game has historical significance

Maybe the game is the first of the series, and despite not being particularly good or popular, set into motion the gears that led to a super popular franchise on other platforms down the line.

C. The game is controversial

This probably ties in with point B above. Is there something notorious about the game, either NOW or Back in the Day?

D. The game is truly unique

Maybe it's a turd, but the concept is so far out there or unique, it's worth experiencing just for that aspect alone.

E. Technology overload

Something that was huge for the time due to pushing the system to the limits or using a new chip or something like that

F. Has a superb soundtrack / box

There's more to games than just the physical game

Okay, so I think you get my point on what sort of games I'm looking to add to my Super Famicom collection. I am not concerned about language barriers, and while I strongly prefer to collect Super Famicom versions, please do include European and North American exclusives on the list as well, as I might add them in too.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Unique/Box: Claymates. I can argue it's fun personally, and the clay art style is cool, but where I think this one fits in a collection as described by you is its unique box. To my knowledge it's the only snes game with a lenticular on the cover. This is exclusive to the NA release, mind you. 

Fun/Technology/Soundtrack: The Donkey Kong games. I imagine just about anyone would agree. Especially regarding tech, DK changed the landscape. 

That's it for now top of my head. There's the obvious stuff like Zelda, FF, Chrono Trigger, etc.. Check any "best snes games" list and the top 10 or even 20 are generally must haves. 

Ill note that Super Mario RPG is not too long, and I'd suggest it in English for the humour if you're gonna pick it up. 

If you're into shmups Axelay is an interesting one due to the graphics, however I'll caution that it literally gives me a headache - I can't look at the game for more than a few minutes at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a SNES mega fan or anything either, but here's what comes to mind, though it's mostly your typical "must have" titles:

• F-Zero: launch title, still fun to play if you know the controls, great soundtrack, uses mode 7.
  • Super R-Type: early 3rd party release, a calm and balanced but challenging space shooter with an absolute banger of a soundtrack.
  • Starfox: First use of the Super FX chip, first Starfox game.
  • Super Mario Kart: First in the series, easy to find CIB.
  • Donkey Kong Country (1,2,3): Ticks a lot of boxes. Fun to replay, innovative soundtrack, unique graphics technology, defined the Donkey Kong series.
  • Megaman X (1,2,3): Consistently well designed games, and the SFC versions are still affordable.
  • Sparkster: A bit pricey, but a fun little platformer if you get a chance to play it. IMO it's the best Rocket Knight game, Konami did a great job with the SNES release.
  • Yoshi's Island: Really shows off everything the SNES can do. I love the art style and it's just so well put together. Super deep too, 100%ing everything will take you a long time. SFC version is pretty cheap.
  • Zelda ALttP: Best game in the world, no big deal (totally objective fact not just my opinion)

38 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I don't understand Japanese writing aside from kanji

Hold up, you know kanji but not hiragana/katakana? Dang, that's an enviable position to be in honestly. If you're up to it, learning katakana would at least help a lot with navigating menus and dialogue options. They're both nothing compared to kanji. It helps that games tend to use a lot of loan words.

• Thanks 1

I think our taste in games may be very similar, my rules for collecting are very much the same as what you've posted above.  Feel free to take a look at my collection / wish list.    The only caveat is that I don't seek out as many EU/JP games.

https://cloud.collectorz.com/atomized/games?folder=platform&filterValue=406

• Thanks 1

While I do have fond memories playing the SNES in the '90s and early 2000's, I'm not obsessed with it and don't understand why it's talked about so much when there are so many other great consoles out there. It's like when people talk, show, or reference a Mega Man game, it is almost always Mega Man 2 which is unfortunate because there are numerous other Mega Man games that are worth playing and talking about as well (and no, I don't just mean the first Mega Man X).

That being said, there are definitely some SNES games I recommend: 

-Battletoads in Battlemaniacs: Not sure if you like the Battletoads games or not. This one's similar to the first Battletoads on NES, but unlike Battletoads Double Dragon it is not a port.

-Kirby's Dream Course: Very fun. The Super Famicom version has an intro that, for whatever reason, was removed from the SNES version.

-Mega Man 7, Mega Man Soccer, Mega Man X-X3, and Rockman & Forte: Obviously I'm going to recommend these. I prefer the NES Mega Man games, but I'd be lying if I said these ones aren't fun too.

-Stunt Race FX: Obviously the visuals are outdated, but I find the animations and overall cartoon look to be appealing. The Stunt Trax are fun, but kind of biased toward the 4WD vehicle unfortunately.

-Super Mario Kart: My personal favorite of the series. It's difficult, but just seems more relaxing than the other Mario Kart games.

-Super Mario RPG: I like this game more than Super Mario World, and I'm not even that into RPG's. Has some of my favorite music on the console, and I like the visual style. I actually have a Super Famicom copy of this game.

image.jpeg.46cbce12f5d6275720dfa53477f22eb8.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52

I am a huge SNES fan, and have been adding a ton of games over the past 6 months...

Just plain fun (on your own) - A lot of these have been mentioned, so I won't re hash (except to say DKC 1,2,3 are some of the best platformers ever made) - Chrono Trigger, Metal Warriors, Ninja Warriors, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Secret of Evermore, Space Megaforce, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!!, Super Street Fighter II, UN Squadron

Just plain fun (Multiplayer/Co-op Edition) - Contra III, Ghoul Patrol, Goof Troop, Knights of the Round, Pocky & Rocky, Run Saber, Secret of Mana, Sunset Riders, Super Smash TV, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time, Wild Guns

Just plain fun (Sports & Racing) - Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB, NBA Hang Time, NHL '95 (or '96), Rock & Roll Racing, Tecmo Super Bowl, Top Gear 

Technology Overload - (DKCs again!) and StarFox

I'll caveat my list by saying that I would consider these "best-of-the-best" and there are a ton of above average games worth owning.  I tried to keep most of the ultra-expensive "above averages" off of here like Aero Fighters and Hagane.  Also, although I love the SNES, I am not a huge JRPG guy...so stuff like Breath of Fire, Lufia, Earthbound, and even (dare I say it?) FF II & III just can't crack the "must haves" for me...Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger are exceptional enough (and make enough changes to the classic JRPG combat system) to make the list!

Edited by Naked Warrior
  • Like 1

Oh this is fun... but I don't think we need a tldr situation here either so I think I'll list a few for whatever box and you can do the work (or someone else can agree and give reasons.)  I will add for technology though, this will range from anything from just base system tech like your Pilotwings pickup with the DSP chip to something nuts with a special chipset in there.

A - Staying away from US release too easy.  So... Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Parodius (Trilogy), Twinbee (shooter and Rainbow Bell Adventure platformer), pick your first party franchise game 😉

C - Instantly comes to mind would be Mortal Kombat 1 and then 2, but also Doom (Doom also fits for technology), Clock Tower, Psycho Dream

D - EVO, Earthbound, Legend of the Mystical Ninja(Ganbare Goemon), Parodius trilogy again, Clock Tower again too.

E - Starfox 1 & 2, Doom, Pilotwings, Axelay(high res mode rolling background), Street Fighter Alpha 2, Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3, Parodius 3 (Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius), Tales of Phantasia(for the audio)

F - Generally speaking games released by Square and Enix, though some are utter highlights even from them like Secret of Mana, or their games they only published for like Yozo Koshiros stunning work in Actraiser Enix put out, or the quality of Quests's Ogre Battle.  Both Castlevanias(especially Dracula X), and Turtles are real stand outs, as are any of their localized or stuck in Japan shooters.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Prince of Persia.  Definitive version of this classic can only be found for SNES.

That's about all I can add to what is already shaping out into a fine list.

100% agree, and it's my favourite game on the system.  It blows all other versions away.  Even Jordan Mechner said in an interview that his jaw dropped when they showed him their final product, and that's saying something...

Graphics Team · Posted

This is basically how I approach collecting for any system. It's a really rewarding approach, because everything in your collection is there for a distinct, calculated reason.

Is this a game I want to play?

Does this game have some novelty factor that I value?

Is this game a "staple" of the system?

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, CasualCart said:

This is basically how I approach collecting for any system. It's a really rewarding approach, because everything in your collection is there for a distinct, calculated reason.

Is this a game I want to play?

Does this game have some novelty factor that I value?

Is this game a "staple" of the system?

-CasualCart

Kind of what I'm doing this year now.  I've dumped 2 1/2 systems basically this year so far, offloaded other stuff to get more distinct and calculating.  Then taking it two steps further, I'm only buying largely just locally to avoid the annoying angering frustration of ebay sharking but also so there's more satisfaction in finding something fun to enjoy.  And with that the game still being found is one thing, but knowing to buy it because you'll actually play it vs stare at it is another.  Buy what you'll use, then the last point, using it, getting off the damned PC in the evenings, and like for an hour or so, USE IT.

That makes for fun staple titles to dig into and actually appreciate. Currently doing this with SFC/SNES and Genesis.

• Like 1