phart010

Do you use IPhone or Android  

28 members have voted

1. 1. iPhone or Android

• Iphone
    • Android
    • Both

5 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'm pretty sure my last Android phone I had (OnePlus 7t) all I had to do was tap a button in the settings 5 times to get it into dev mode... Most phones are ridiculously easy to completely root. 

Another OnePlus fan, I've had the 1, 5 and now I'm on the 8.

I don't enjoy companies artificially reducing my phone's battery life as a feature update so I use Android. I also write mobile applications and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a developer license.

iPhone. But I am also a former Android user.

At the end of the day I like to have my alarm sound like Jotaro Kujo using Star Platinum as a means to beating up Steely Dan. 😁

On 3/4/2022 at 4:54 PM, Tabonga said:

Heh - they even have a song about me!

Fun fact: My late Uncle was part of a music group called Dante & The Evergreens. And they are also well known for singing that song. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Another OnePlus fan, I've had the 1, 5 and now I'm on the 8.

I don't enjoy companies artificially reducing my phone's battery life as a feature update so I use Android. I also write mobile applications and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a developer license.

I wish I would've had a chance to use the OP1. The only reason I switched to Pixel was the cameras. Evening using gcam didn't come close to the quality of pictures I get out of the Pixel 6. And with the arrival of my first kid, I had to suck it up and buy a phone with the camera being one of the largest determining factors. 

I've not bothered with android for a phone only a tablet, and for the time one of the best as it was the nvidia shield tablet that turned basically into the Switch.  I've used iOS though as a phone(still do) and tablet (iPad2) ages ago.

Android I loved the freedom of side loading.  I found trying to get into the base code with a USB cable and all that confusing and painful so I didn't bother a lot.  The actual OS I found to be a bit buggy, slower, seemed to degrade with time likely due to memory issues google never resolved.  The general setup was nice though, liked the pull down bar for fast access as it had better choices than apple.

Apple though I like the clean easier interface, and that fact it's stable.  I detest the walled garden as I can't put stuff on there they don't want, primarily, side loading apps.  I did find a way around the iTunes cancer using another tool so I can move around images, movies, and MP3s with ease.  I miss not being able to stuff a few things I had on my tablet I'd like to use at times I do legally own that apple won't allow.  At least finally those twits allow me to pick my own web browser which took forever. 😕

23 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I wish I would've had a chance to use the OP1. The only reason I switched to Pixel was the cameras. Evening using gcam didn't come close to the quality of pictures I get out of the Pixel 6. And with the arrival of my first kid, I had to suck it up and buy a phone with the camera being one of the largest determining factors. 

I actually owned a OnePlus 1 at launch. Don’t worry you didn’t miss out on anything. It completely sucked. The OS it came with was really buggy. Then they released a new OS that you had to to manually flash yourself. As soon as the new OS came out, they abandoned support for the old one. The new one never worked very well in my opinion, and halfway through the lifetime they abandoned all the OnePlus 1 users and tried getting us to buy the OnePlus 2. OnePlus 1 was a dumpster fire. 

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:23 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'm pretty sure my last Android phone I had (OnePlus 7t) all I had to do was tap a button in the settings 5 times to get it into dev mode... Most phones are ridiculously easy to completely root. 

Some are like that, but not nearly all, although most eventually have some sort of root available for them.  The craziest I've seen to date involves removing a glue one back, glued in battery, then glued in display, in order to short a couple of different sets of test points on the phone at certain times during the root process.  Regardless of how it's to be done, whatever device I go for will have to have a root available when I'm looking to switch over, else it'll be a deal breaker.  A non-glued in battery (even if it's hidden away behind a snapped or screwed on back case) would be nice as well.  I've partially stayed with Apple as long as I have due to how well their phones tend to hold up over time, as I've gotten every one I've owned second hand, and typically at least one release behind whatever's new and going for insane money.  Many (most?) Android devices, though, after somebody's used them for a year or two, are generally ready to either be scrapped or handed off to one's kids as a "toy" phone versus kept in regular service just due to how much more damage they seem to take, and how quickly they take it.  I guess I'll see what happens when I get to that bridge.

6 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Some are like that, but not nearly all, although most eventually have some sort of root available for them.  The craziest I've seen to date involves removing a glue one back, glued in battery, then glued in display, in order to short a couple of different sets of test points on the phone at certain times during the root process.  Regardless of how it's to be done, whatever device I go for will have to have a root available when I'm looking to switch over, else it'll be a deal breaker.  A non-glued in battery (even if it's hidden away behind a snapped or screwed on back case) would be nice as well.  I've partially stayed with Apple as long as I have due to how well their phones tend to hold up over time, as I've gotten every one I've owned second hand, and typically at least one release behind whatever's new and going for insane money.  Many (most?) Android devices, though, after somebody's used them for a year or two, are generally ready to either be scrapped or handed off to one's kids as a "toy" phone versus kept in regular service just due to how much more damage they seem to take, and how quickly they take it.  I guess I'll see what happens when I get to that bridge.

I haven’t messed around with phones for some time, but last I checked, Apple phones are pretty good hardware-wise. They only really get sluggish due to planned obsoletion by Apple. They basically make the older models perform slower in the newer OS to make you want to upgrade.

But I hear if you jailbreak the older iPhones and flash a custom OS you can get them running fast again

19 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I haven’t messed around with phones for some time, but last I checked, Apple phones are pretty good hardware-wise. They only really get sluggish due to planned obsoletion by Apple. They basically make the older models perform slower in the newer OS to make you want to upgrade.

But I hear if you jailbreak the older iPhones and flash a custom OS you can get them running fast again

There hasn't been a "custom" OS available for an iPhone in a bunch of generations at this point.  Part of it is absolutely planned obsolescence by Apple, and were it any other company, I'd have less harsh feelings about their explanation about slowing down performance in the background as the batteries aged in order to prevent sudden shutdowns (something I started experiencing semi-recently with my current phone, which I've never changed the battery on).  I'd say they had a decent consumer-friendly reason for doing what they did, but instead of making it known, and maybe even putting a toggle in the OS to allow you to opt in or out of that feature, they said nothing, hid what was happening, and rode people's panic about their older phones slowing down and working even worse versus new hardware all the way to the bank.  I've never bought an iPhone new, so in that arena Apple's never really had *my* money, but I've still enjoyed almost all of the iPhones that I've owned (never had a working unlock for the Spring iPhone 5 I got cheap and refurbed, so it just became a digital camera when my son was born).  However, I'm kind of at the end of my rope with them, as they're locking things down even tighter these days, which makes a great byline for them being all about personal security, but when hackers can crack the data out of it for the governments of the world without Apple's help a month after the newest updates are released, it's hard to feel good about not having a new/current jailbreak because of it.

I'm not as thrilled by the Android OS nor the usual quality of Android devices that aren't OMGWTFBBQ expensive, but I've basically hit the point where Apple's conveniences no longer outweigh their inconveniences, so it's time to start shopping around.  Fat chance I'll find anything that's a truly competent handset that's the same size (or smaller) than my first gen SE, though.  I cannot stand how ridiculously cumbersome and enormous smartphones have gotten, so add that to the list of difficulties I'll have in picking out another phone.