IGNORED

How to clean cartridge contacts/pins (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Change my mind. Seriously if you have anything to add or debate let’s hear it. 

get yourself a security bit 3.8mm

1. make sure you have a clean 72pin/zif connecter.

I suggest boil your original oem connector. It’s easy, just boil it. You can re-bend the pins very carefully if you want but in my experience a boil does just fine. It’s more about getting the pin clean than a tight fit. As long as the pin still makes contact it’s fine. I have a pin that you cant even tell if the game went in the pin it’s so lose but it fires up first try because it’s clean. 

a “blinking light win” pin is a nice option and probably a permanent fix. I have one and I love it. The cost is $30-$40. I got mine from “arcade works”

2. NEVER PUT A DIRTY/UNCLEAN CART IN YOUR CLEAN ZIF/PIN CONNECTOR!!!

This will introduce dirt and other elements into the pin connecter and cause issues in the future. 

ok now to the carts themselves.

1. Isopropyl 

CF637743-15B6-4B50-AD53-2BC06338DC87.jpeg

99% is best.

some people say this is all you need.

I would only recommend it for games you have already cleaned but haven’t used in a while. 

Or if you have a “test console” just for a easy quick option to see if a game works. 

never the less always start with this step to remove any dirt.

Apply some isopropyl to a q-tip and wipe away at the contacts/pins. 

The q-tip will collect dirt and start to turn black.
We can discuss what this “black” is below.

2. Vinyl eraser 

BECA9E1D-1334-4115-948A-04C4A2F1E742.jpeg

This thing is awesome and nearly non abrasive. Abrasives will scratch the pins and while this will not destroy the pins it’s best to avoid. I have personally taken pins down to the nickel plate (using metal polish), the game still works but not what you would want to do. 

just take your vinyl eraser and use it on 
the pins like you did back in the day on a piece of paper with the wrong algebra equation. 

3. Weiman 

AE3BD5BD-AFB7-4545-9210-E25057950267.jpeg

“Just a dab’ll do her”. only a drop or two of this stuff will seriously clean up a set of dirty pins. Use a q-tip or even better a rag to apply and rub until the pins become shiny again. Don’t use to much or apply to much force when polishing. You can start to remove the actual gold plate. 

4. Vinegar 

6181FE48-33E5-4B3B-86F6-E006A48D8490.jpeg

When all else fails soak the pins/contacts in vinegar for a hour or two. If you leave it to long it will start to eat away more than necessary. Now this is a last resort as it will create pits and you will see pink from electrolysis. I’ve never personally ruined a game using this method. It has fixed quite a few nasty set of pins though. After using vinegar if said game sits on the shelf for a while you will want to check the pins for oxidation/corrosion. I have seen oxidation/corrosion build in the pits where the pin has been pitted past the nickel plate. I just take a q-tip with isopropyl and wipe it clean again. I’ve had games for over 4 years after the vinegar method still work today. 

9E417623-6C7B-438D-AD7E-8B5F16BA493E.jpeg
I made this little device. I cut the end of a cart off to hold the board. I fill the snes sleeve just enough to cover the pins with vinegar. 

Edited by skinnygrinny

I always cleaned my carts first with a q tip and alcohol to remove any dust/dirt. Then I wouId use a dab of Weimans with a microfiber cloth to polish the pins. Then I would clean them a second time with a q tip and alcohol to get any leftover polish off of the pins. They always came out looking like new.

12 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I always cleaned my carts first with a q tip and alcohol to remove any dust/dirt. Then I wouId use a dab of Weimans with a microfiber cloth to polish the pins. Then I would clean them a second time with a q tip and alcohol to get any leftover polish off of the pins. They always came out looking like new.

Good call bearcat. If you use weiman make sure to clean it all off with a episode of isopropyl. 
sometimes you can keep the weiman in the closet by using the vinyl eraser. 

99% ISO (if you can find it) works great. I find using 2 q-tips at a time helps speed things up. Another trick for getting stubborn dirt off the pins is a fiberglass pen. Be careful when doing so as it can easily take off the gold plating. Only use Brasso as a last resort. I've seen carts that had layers on top of layers of oxidization on the pins and Brasso seemed to be the only thing that helped. Make sure your thoroughly clean the pins with ISO afterwards if you do so.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I use the 1up cards with rubbing alcohol to clean cart contacts. I've gotten all my carts to work after a few cleanings.

Not a bad option. I have used 1-up cards as well they do almost as good as a weiman imo,

Edited by skinnygrinny

1 hour ago, austin532 said:

99% ISO (if you can find it) works great. I find using 2 q-tips at a time helps speed things up. Another trick for getting stubborn dirt off the pins is a fiberglass pen. Be careful when doing so as it can easily take off the gold plating. Only use Brasso as a last resort. I've seen carts that had layers on top of layers of oxidization on the pins and Brasso seemed to be the only thing that helped. Make sure your thoroughly clean the pins with ISO afterwards if you do so.

I've got a fiberglass pen that I use to prep chipped areas in car paint before touching them up, but that seems like it would be pretty abrasive to use on cartridge pins.

40 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm on team Deoxit. Nearly anything will work immediately which is why there are so many methods. You can take 120 grit sandpaper to a cart, rinse it off in in the sink, and it will work. It's more a matter of the least damaging effective method IMO.

I actually used that to clean console boards, but 99% alcohol in a spray bottle seemed to do just as well and was a lot cheaper.