IGNORED

Paying for items with pennies

fcgamer

38 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well it's Illinois more than anyone.  Being the Land of Lincoln (it's right there on their plates; and in that state you have to have them on both sides of your vehicle) I imagine they'll all but threaten to secede from the Union if they take away the penny.

Illinois really doesn't care about Lincoln so much as Springfield does.  I grew up and lived in Springfield for 18 years, so I grew up with the mind set that Lincoln was a pretty big deal.  I was always surprised and a little disappointed when I traveled and learned that pretty much no one outside of Springfield cares much about Lincoln.  

On 4/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Estil said:

What if that's quite literally all the money you have?  I used to work as a grocery clerk back in the day and it does happen.  I didn't mind at all (because coming from a not-so-high off the hog background myself I totally get it) as long as I count it myself (I can do it fairly quickly if I make stacks of five or ten and put them right beside each other) and for God sakes don't put any money on the conveyor belt!!

As far as those coin counter machines go last time I checked they charge 9% of what you put in it, so there's that.

If your change is that out of control and your only money, then go to a bank and exchange it.  I've never had to pay a penny to exchange coins for bills at a bank.  If the coinstar ones charge 9%, that's news to me but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

If you don't have a bank, and only have a bucket of coins to pay for a pack of smokes, then I guess you got bigger things to worry about.  Maybe strive for some consideration and ask for the total and then stand to the side and count out your change?  It's rude to customers and a business to hold up traffic is my point.  We've all probably been behind those people and can relate.  But of course, douches only care about themselves so whatevs I suppose.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Estil said:

Well it's Illinois more than anyone.  Being the Land of Lincoln (it's right there on their plates; and in that state you have to have them on both sides of your vehicle) I imagine they'll all but threaten to secede from the Union if they take away the penny.

Yeah Illinois is crazy.  I just recently met up with a fellow VGS'er in Chicago and it just blows my mind that they have pay tolls to use a freaking road.  Furthermore, they don't even take cash anymore (or currently) and just ask for you to sign up for an account online and to pay digitally (was a pain in the ass).

Not to mention the "normal" lunatic driving everywhere.  I saw a few guys racing and toying with cops straight up in downtown Chicago (and the cops didn't seem to care).  The trip there also required stop and go traffic on an interstate for like 20 minutes (5 lanes deep).  All of it was pretty anxiety inducing in an attempt to transport a fragile Sharp NES TV.  Thank god it went smooth lol.

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yeah Illinois is crazy.  I just recently met up with a fellow VGS'er in Chicago and it just blows my mind that they have pay tolls to use a freaking road.  Furthermore, they don't even take cash anymore (or currently) and just ask for you to sign up for an account online and to pay digitally (was a pain in the ass).

Not to mention the "normal" lunatic driving everywhere.  I saw a few guys racing and toying with cops straight up in downtown Chicago (and the cops didn't seem to care).  The trip there also required stop and go traffic on an interstate for like 20 minutes (5 lanes deep).  All of it was pretty anxiety inducing in an attempt to transport a fragile Sharp NES TV.  Thank god it went smooth lol.

you dont have toll roads where you live? Theyre all over here in NJ and at least on 87 in NY, besides the bridge tolls

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

you dont have toll roads where you live? Theyre all over here in NJ and at least on 87 in NY, besides the bridge tolls

Nope, Iowa here - we are free to drive all over these crappy roads.  They are really crappy tho, especially after a rough winter with potholes literally everywhere.  That got me to wondering what the Illinois Tollways were for, and it's kind of a sketchy back story.  Living a toll-free life, I cannot even fathom regularly paying a fee to use a road or a bridge - it's nuts.  Don't you guys already pay state tax on everything too?

https://abc7chicago.com/archive/8327185/

10 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Nope, Iowa here - we are free to drive all over these crappy roads.  They are really crappy tho, especially after a rough winter with potholes literally everywhere.  That got me to wondering what the Illinois Tollways were for, and it's kind of a sketchy back story.  Living a toll-free life, I cannot even fathom regularly paying a fee to use a road or a bridge - it's nuts.  Don't you guys already pay state tax on everything too?

Oh absolutely, everything is taxed. Are roads are still garbage too. The fun part, in NJ our tolls were supposed to have been temporary, and have been removed after a certain date. That was like 30yrs ago, they’re still here.

Social Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

13 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I was guessing your gas tax was low and that is why you have toll roads but that's not the case as compared to Ohio.

Gas-Tax-July-2020-FV-01.png

My other guess is that these roads are built on private public funds.  AKA some company throws money at the project knowing they get to collect a toll.  The over all profit like ~10% over twenty years and is typically considered a VERY stable investment.  Also in Ohio our ONE toll road it is up to the private company to maintain the road for that 20 year period.  So basically they dump it on us with major repairs need as the maintenance they do is the bare minimal and only meant to get to the 20 year mark and not a "long term" fix.  

Our toll road is past is payment period so now that extra money gain is MORE than what it cost to maintain the road so it get's used pretty much across the state to help fun other road projects.  There was a rule saying that the money can only be spent on roads that help get traffic to the toll road and as you may guess all interstates get cleared to use tax funs....even those that hundreds of miles away from the toll road.

I think for bridges it makes sense to toll the bridge.  This is pretty much the ONLY way we will get to build the new Bent Spence bridge in Ohio/Kentucky which is the second worst bottleneck in the US.  When it comes to roads I think it would be a case by case thing.  Overall those who use the road pay more than is need for building/maintaining the road.  I think that is shitty but like I said, it would be a case by case.  I'm sure there are some projects that make sense to toll just like bridges.

Social Team · Posted

Silly me, I forgot to take into account diesel tax too.  But still....something doesn't seem right.  I wonder if there something else that can explain why they have tolls on top of an already high fuel tax.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States#/media/File:Fuel_taxes_in_the_united_states.png

Administrator · Posted
17 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

If your change is that out of control and your only money, then go to a bank and exchange it.  I've never had to pay a penny to exchange coins for bills at a bank.  If the coinstar ones charge 9%, that's news to me but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

If you don't have a bank, and only have a bucket of coins to pay for a pack of smokes, then I guess you got bigger things to worry about.  Maybe strive for some consideration and ask for the total and then stand to the side and count out your change?  It's rude to customers and a business to hold up traffic is my point.  We've all probably been behind those people and can relate.  But of course, douches only care about themselves so whatevs I suppose.

Or if nothing else, have it sorted into dollar stacks or something so your transaction goes quicker.  

Back in the bachelor days I'd occasionally need to change-dive for some stuff, but if you give it to them in dollar stacks they can just go by looks/feel, or general not-give-a-F-ness.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Illinois has a high gas tax and toll roads along with extremely poorly maintained roads because we have arguably the most corrupt politicians in the country with the worst spending habits in the country.  It's a pretty big mess with no end in sight.  

Did someone say most corrupt politicians with worst spending habits? 

NJ: “ Hold my beer”

19 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Piss away an hour at the bank to exchange $50 of coins for bills?

Paying with change isn't the big offender when it comes to holding up the line, imo, the big offender is... questions! People that ask a million questions before buying their damned latte, a train ticket, or even act like they've never checked out before.

Then there's those that don't have ID ready in hand or wallet out, as their turn in line comes. Those are the true time wasters, and the folks that I feel are least considerate.

20 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

The last time I turned in $50 worth of coins to the bank, I was there about 3 minutes.  At most banks including mine, it won't take any longer to deposit coins than any other type of currency.  I mean, unless you want to watch them count it.  But why would anyone do that?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Paying with change isn't the big offender when it comes to holding up the line, imo, the big offender is... questions! People that ask a million questions before buying their damned latte, a train ticket, or even act like they've never checked out before.

I am convinced that a significant portion of the population literally has no social life and that talking (and boring them) to cashiers (and anyone unfortunate to be in line (and earshot) behind them) with the most mundane conversation that an ordinary person couldn't imagine is at all important is very important to them.  The cashiers likely  are trained to be courteous while the other people in line are trapped in a merciless limbo.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The last time I turned in $50 worth of coins to the bank, I was there about 3 minutes.  At most banks including mine, it won't take any longer to deposit coins than any other type of currency.  I mean, unless you want to watch them count it.  But why would anyone do that?  

Regarding banks, it's a totally different ballgame over here in Taiwan. Limited hours when they're open, close up about 2 or 3 pm. So everyone and their uncle go to do banking stuff at lunch time, and Taiwanense sure do love their money. So you'll be in and out within an hour, minimum.

53 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Then there's those that don't have ID ready in hand or wallet out, as their turn in line comes. Those are the true time wasters, and the folks that I feel are least considerate.

All of those people, change freaks, yappers, and ID fumblers are annoying. They just need to get the fuck out of the line when I get in and I won't go on a homicidal rampage.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

All of those people, change freaks, yappers, and ID fumblers are annoying. They just need to get the fuck out of the line when I get in and I won't go on a homicidal rampage.

When police arrived to the horrific scene, the suspect was sitting on the floor hands covered in blood, and appeared to be lost in another dimension.  As they approached him guns drawn, he kept muttering "change..." repeatedly, further puzzling the heroic policeman as they hauled him away.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

What percentage of NJ governors have been sent to prison since the 60s?  Is it more than one in three?

Prison? your governor’s must be amateurs. The ones that know how to corrupt know how to stay out of prison, while sucking us dry with ever rising property taxes

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, drxandy said:

See, it only took a half hour.

My thoughts exactly!

And to be fair, these "pennies" are worth about 3.5 American pennies each 😄

edit: Maybe I should change the thread title to "Paying for items with coins that sit somewhere in value between pennies and nickles", lol.

Edited by fcgamer