IGNORED

Switch supposedly has surprassed Wii sales in hardware in December

Tanooki

If we are to believe vgchartz it appears the Switch topped the Wii at 4yrs 10mo into its life.
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/452167/nintendo-switch-outsells-wii-worldwide/

Not sure how they get their data since December hasn't been reported yet, but probably will be any day now.

For reference the next on the charts are as follows with PlayStation at 102.49 million units, PlayStation 4 an estimated 116.80 million so far, then the Game Boy/GBC at 118.69 million units.

Seems given the economy, insanity in the market, ugly chip shortages largely on the other guys, lower price, quirky hybrid style it is, etc is playing to their advantage as sales have not slacked but been consistent.  Another 17M~ and it'll take down Gameboy, that's very possible by the end of the year.

• Like 1

Wii sales were really frontloaded in the first 2-3 years, and seemed taper off as the motion control fad died down and the software library was dumped on by showelware.  Not surprising that Switch has been a more steady seller.  Switch is on the bubble of pushing past the original Playstation as well.  Switch should have another big year (assuming everything doesn't get delayed, again!)

Playstation 4 looks on the verge to overtake the Gameboy.  It is still seeing a ton of software support after 8 years, and with PS5 shortages, reports are they are ramping up production on PS4.

The real question is, will either dethrone the DS and PS2?

• Like 1

Well earned, in my opinion! I've seen first-hand how much the system appeals to pretty much everyone. Obviously the kids love it, then you got the extended family members and non-gamers who are more than happy to pick up a joycon too! It's always popular during gatherings, parties and whenever really! Plus the sheer number and range of different games, from basically every era of gaming, there really is something for everyone no matter your tastes.

I guess the only crowd the Switch wouldn't appeal to would be the hardest of the hardcore power users, obviously. But even then, the portability factor makes the Switch a NO-BRAINER as a secondary system too, even if it doesn't have the chops to be the primary device for those types. So yeah, I mean it really does have something for everyone! 😄

52 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I did a poll on NA right before the system's launch asking about sales predictions, compared to previous Nintendo systems. I remember most people, including myself, predicted the lifetime sales would be somewhere around the Gamecube/N64 range. Funny to see how that's turned out.

Yeah, to be fair, coming off the back of the Wii U and 3DS it's not surprising how a lot of people were thinking. I was thinking somewhere in the 40-60 million range, somewhere in the middle between the GCN and Wii!

However, I am glad to say I was wrong, and tbh, I think the Switch still has a lot of go left in it, we could see another few tens of millions sold easy when all is said and done!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

The Switch is the only modern, big-name home console that has even remotely interested me in the last decade. I still don't actually want one, but its pervasiveness can't be denied.

-CasualCart

While I agree with the others too, especially that big post, you're right on the nose.  I mean I went for the WiiU but thought it even a bit strange when it was on the way so I went in thinking Nintendo doesn't put out garbage consoles, ever.... big mistake there.  Switch though is the only big name system since the PS3 I had some serious confidence in having quality selection, choices, and overall use of the system.  Before that the Gamecube despite the mini discs it used as it arrived with a bang with that Star Wars game and the fluid nature of how Luigis Mansion worked too.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:06 AM, OptOut said:

Yeah, to be fair, coming off the back of the Wii U and 3DS it's not surprising how a lot of people were thinking. I was thinking somewhere in the 40-60 million range, somewhere in the middle between the GCN and Wii!

Don't bad mouth the 3DS by lumping it in w the Wii U!

I knew it would be a hit bc if the 3DS would've had Nintendos sole focus and it would've docked, the sales numbers would've easily been doubled. And it turns out Nintendo thought so too and made the Switch.

Just looking at sales numbers, it's hard to even think why Nintendo made hime consoles bc handhelds always crushes their home console sales, or competed with them directly in the case of the Wii and DS. 

• Agree 1

Looking back, it's easy to see why people were so skeptical. With the exception of the Wii, the trajectory of Nintendo's console sales just kept going downward. And it was easy to write off the Wii as a fad that had passed.

NES 61.91
SNES 49.10
N64 32.93
GC 21.74
Wii 101.63
Wii U 13.56
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Looking back, it's easy to see why people were so skeptical. With the exception of the Wii, the trajectory of Nintendo's console sales just kept going downward. And it was easy to write off the Wii as a fad that had passed.

NES 61.91
SNES 49.10
N64 32.93
GC 21.74
Wii 101.63
Wii U 13.56

Now do handhelds. 😅

11 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Now do handhelds. 😅

Of course the 3DS was a lot more successful than the Wii U. But it still sold worse than the GBA/DS. It was clear five years ago that a purely dedicated handheld was going to be a thing of the past, so the hybrid approach made a lot of sense:=.

GB 118.69
GBA 81.51
DS 154.02
3DS 75.94
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Of course the 3DS was a lot more successful than the Wii U. But it still sold worse than the GBA/DS. It was clear five years ago that a purely dedicated handheld was going to be a thing of the past, so the hybrid approach made a lot of sense:=.

GB 118.69
GBA 81.51
DS 154.02
3DS 75.94

The Wii was the exception to the console sales while on average Nintendo handhelds sales are around 100M units.

The Switch being a handheld is what gave it a leg up on the competition. It's less of a hybrid and more of a dock-able handheld. It doesn't gain enough performance for me to consider it to be a home console. It just gains the ability to play on the TV. the dock is basically a Gameboy player that's packaged in lol

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

The switch captured casual, serious, and retro gamers alike. It's not too expensive to get into at about the same price as a modest smartphone. It's not trying to be anything other than what it is, compared to the Xboxes and Playstations of the world which try to sell people on PC quality power for a smaller price point.

The fact that the switch outsold the wii is no surprise to me, even with the durability issues of those joycons.

Modern smartphones go for around $800-1000+ or at least iphones do.  You can get into a new switch (lite) for $200 and used you could get a standard one for that and a lite for like $120+.  Given how cheap a lot of the games are with a $20-40 range on them casuals and less serious types could get into plenty of stuff very cheap.

They did the right thing ultimately.  They've PiiU aside despite the smaller numbers have been a very successful console maker and game seller but with baggage, the handheld side didn't have the baggage.  They realized how bad it was with their badly designed badly released last console and killed the division which quite frankly, they deserved pulling that stunt last go around.  You don't get support served up on a platter, and instead double down on a bad design because that's what's in budget.  The money they were sitting on from the Wii/DS could have done things right, but hey...arrogance, wasn't their first lesson in it. 🙂

• Agree 1