IGNORED

D&D Tabletop RPG

For the holidays the oldest kid received a bunch of D&D stuff including some awesome Warlock minatures - everyone is having a great time! Anyone else here play traditional - pen & paper type RPGs? I have to say, the minature sets that are now readily available are so sweet...

WIZ16501-4-700x700.webp

I have, although I haven't gotten to in a long, long time.  In the past it got to the point where I was basically the only person willing to DM/GM, which was fine for a while, but tiring after multiple years without a break from such duties.  I was mostly fine with it, but I got burned out after a while, showing itself in me being less and less able over time to just come up with an entire campaign's worth of details when the players always veered completely off course from what was planned out ahead.

Sadly, all of my books have sat on the shelf since, loved, but unused.  I'm glad that you guys are getting into it and are able to deepen the experience with mass produced minis and settings that mostly didn't exist the last time I got to play AD&D.

15 hours ago, fox said:

Mostly play using Discord.   Cool mini's, glad y'all are having fun.  Let us know how the campaign goes.

The 14 year-old is running the campaign, and he's doing a great job! The rest of us are having a good time, and the miniatures really add such a great element to the whole D&D world 🙂

49 minutes ago, G-type said:

I love D&D but I find being DM too stressful. I have never had a firm enough grasp on the rules to just focus on the creative aspects. Always worried I'll have to look up something and every second feels like an eternity. 

Honestly, the best DM's don't stress too much about the rules, especially when they're just starting out.  The rules are important, but only insofar as they don't specifically get in the way of the story you're all working together to tell.  If you ever get to the point where it feels like it's you versus the players, you're doing it wrong and need to take some time off to calm down or step back/down.

About the only time I ever got to be a rules lawyer with anything would be when something with very specific definitions/inner workings/etc. came up, like technology for example.  If we were playing AD&D and I messed up with what a spell could do, I'd just let it roll, then let everybody know about my error and that they were fortunate that "miracle" had happened, but shouldn't count on it again.  Virtually everything else was fair game, and heck, if players could come up with a good enough justification or explanation of how/why they were trying to bend/break certain tech/magic rules, I'd sometimes let that slide too, if only right then.  It's all about having fun, and if anyone in the group isn't (beyond the occasional "bad luck of the dice" tantrum), then discussion needs to happen and things need to move in whatever direction is needed to ensure that changes.  It's not easy at first, but most players, even experienced rules lawyers, will normally give a "green" GM/DM several sessions before becoming a grump about anything.

I normally love their stuff, but there was just something "off" to me about their D&D series.  They represented the common tropes accurately, but none of their videos really struck me as truly funny the way their other stuff does.  If you randomly found this, aren't familiar with Viva La Dirt League, and found this hilarious, please go check out their other stuff (especially Epic NPC Man), as it's much, much better than these.

10 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I normally love their stuff, but there was just something "off" to me about their D&D series.  They represented the common tropes accurately, but none of their videos really struck me as truly funny the way their other stuff does.  If you randomly found this, aren't familiar with Viva La Dirt League, and found this hilarious, please go check out their other stuff (especially Epic NPC Man), as it's much, much better than these.

I do like Epic NPC man, but the problem I have with many of their videos is that they recycle material. They are funny, but everything gets a bit old after repeated usage. Honestly I like the direction their D&D series is going, and I like that it's new content. I thought the backstories episode was hilarious, and some of their videos is literally just them playing D&D - and just watching people play D&D is not my thing, but overall I'm enjoying their content very much 🙂

• Like 1

When I was way into D&D in like high school, I thought terrain, 3D buildings, and D&D dungeons were the coolest (possibly cause Warhammer terrain was also the coolest). Now I'm more about drawing a quickie maps on a erase poster or doing small encounters in our head and just approximating distances/ranges to keep the game moving.

Like, a Dwarven Forge dungeon would be cool as hell, but the setup for the poor DM would be ridiculous, let alone the cost, painting, storage, etc. And then unless you want to spend $10,000s, you're rearranging the same few dungeon pieces for each dungeon. And like, Dwarven Forge towns??? Are there people who set up a miniature model of a town whenever they're in town?? I got places to be, wands of cure light wounds to buy!!

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

I do like Epic NPC man, but the problem I have with many of their videos is that they recycle material. They are funny, but everything gets a bit old after repeated usage. Honestly I like the direction their D&D series is going, and I like that it's new content. I thought the backstories episode was hilarious, and some of their videos is literally just them playing D&D - and just watching people play D&D is not my thing, but overall I'm enjoying their content very much 🙂

We make jokes about wanting a horse pocket all the time now.

22 hours ago, avatar! said:

Well, they do have a "series" where they're literally just playing D&D, but they do so much more than that.  And I agree with you, I grow very bored, very quickly, attempting to watch other people play the game.  I tried to watch the first episode, made it like 5 minutes in, then switched it off and never went back to another one.  In addition to Epic NPC Man, though, stuff like Bored and their various jabs at various FPS games tend to be pretty spot on and priceless to me.  Once in a while they'll retread a bit, but I think some of what you're seeing (at least with Epic NPC Man) is more them embracing character development over time than beating a dead horse.  The muggers do tend to beat a fairly dead horse, although there is the occasional ray of sunshine when something unexpected happens to them, other in-world characters appear, or they somehow end up as part of (or in the background of) someone else's video.