IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

18 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Beat GI Joe the Atlantis factor. Beaten it before, don't remember it being so tough. The final level especially took me many tries. Eventually I got it down to pretty much beating the whole thing without being hit, which is good because every continue weakens your characters...

Nice man!  I actually like it better than the Taxan game.  The branching paths do it for me.  Though I may have to go back to it one day...still haven't managed to beat Destro, not to mention I'd like to 1CC it one day.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 521/677 (bonus games - 72/100)
On 7/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Oddly, I am quite fond of the game.  It's flawed, and hard as hell because of it, but I still enjoyed playing through it.

I agree 100%. Incredibly frustrating to start, but once you learn it it's a pretty smooth run.

Took down castlequest, which was my first time playing it. It's a fun game with pretty decent puzzles, ok platforming, and awful combat. I followed a guide for this one because i was terrified of taking the wrong path and not having enough keys to complete it, but ended up with a bunch of extra keys, so I think I could've just taken it on myself. That said, if you're going to try to do it solo, definitely make a map as it's a total maze 

Castlequest.jpg

Ren and Stimpy is beaten. I think this is my second or third time beating it, and it's still just as bad. The controls are terrible, though the music and graphics are quite nice. Interesting design with the puzzle type levels, but the controls are just way too floaty and there's so much shit on the screen trying to hit you most of the time. Also Ren sucks, which is disappointing. 

20220723_183215.jpg

Captain planet is finished; another game I've beaten a few times in the past which never gets any better. If it weren't for the awful controls, this would also be a decent game. Because of the shitty controls though, it's really hard and frustrating. Not looking forward to ever playing it again, though I'm sure I will...

20220724_222556.jpg

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 527/677 (bonus games - 72/100)
2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Captain planet is finished; another game I've beaten a few times in the past which never gets any better. If it weren't for the awful controls, this would also be a decent game. Because of the shitty controls though, it's really hard and frustrating. Not looking forward to ever playing it again, though I'm sure I will...

You're having quite a productive NES week, huh? Keep up the good work! I haven't beaten any of the games you've posted over the past few days, so I don't have much to say about them. I played a bit of G.I. Joe 2 this year and it seemed decent (I did beat the first one years ago). I remember trying Ren & Stimpy before, and yeah, it seemed awful.

9 hours ago, scaryice said:

You're having quite a productive NES week, huh? Keep up the good work! I haven't beaten any of the games you've posted over the past few days, so I don't have much to say about them. I played a bit of G.I. Joe 2 this year and it seemed decent (I did beat the first one years ago). I remember trying Ren & Stimpy before, and yeah, it seemed awful.

Yeah I took the past week off work so I had a lot of extra time to kill and used a lot of it to get caught up on this list, I've been neglecting it a bit the first half of the year. I've been playing a lot of FFXI, an MMORPG, which has been absorbing most of my gaming time.

I still have a short list of other games from this list I'm thinking of doing: Immortal, M.C. Kids, Battle of Olympus, 3-D Worldrunner (games I've beaten before) and Battletoads/Double Dragon & Strider, which I've never beaten before. Granted nobody should take these as "claims" or anything, it will take me forever to get through that list, but just to give an idea where my head's at.

Oh, and lastly: I've still been slogging away at NES Open Tournament Golf, but I've been playing like crap lately, usually winning the lowest prize possible and only really making money from the longest drive contest holes. Regardless, I am slowly making progress and I'm up at around 700k/1m.

51 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Yeah I took the past week off work so I had a lot of extra time to kill and used a lot of it to get caught up on this list, I've been neglecting it a bit the first half of the year. I've been playing a lot of FFXI, an MMORPG, which has been absorbing most of my gaming time.

I still have a short list of other games from this list I'm thinking of doing: Immortal, M.C. Kids, Battle of Olympus, 3-D Worldrunner (games I've beaten before) and Battletoads/Double Dragon & Strider, which I've never beaten before. Granted nobody should take these as "claims" or anything, it will take me forever to get through that list, but just to give an idea where my head's at.

Oh, and lastly: I've still been slogging away at NES Open Tournament Golf, but I've been playing like crap lately, usually winning the lowest prize possible and only really making money from the longest drive contest holes. Regardless, I am slowly making progress and I'm up at around 700k/1m.

You have been on a tear, K! You could be in the Top 3 if August is as good as July has been for you. 

I'll need to reevaluate where I'm at. I'm so close to breaking the single-year records for completions and points. I got so caught up in DWIV that I wasn't ready for it to end. I know there is plenty of good stuff left on the board, but I may need some time to sort this out. 

6 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

You have been on a tear, K! You could be in the Top 3 if August is as good as July has been for you. 

Yeah IDK about top 3, that's a steep mountain to climb, but it has been my goal to get top 4 at least. After that I'll see what else is on the list that I might be able to take down. I wanted to get the full 10 FDS list but after trying Dirty Pair a few times it's just...bad. The hit detection is terrible, it's boring, it has extremely limited lives, no continues, and (for the most part) 1 hit deaths. I just don't see it happening. There are still some good main list games I could probably do after my "short list" though, so we'll see where the points lie. Coming for you guys!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 528/677 (bonus games - 72/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 529/677 (bonus games - 72/100)
On 8/6/2022 at 4:17 PM, Daniel_Doyce said:

Just snooping on the progress so far this year... No one's beaten Overlord yet?!

Still some sweet Koei goodness remaining to be played 😁

Overlord is daunting to those that don't know how to beat it, and for those that do it's too much effort for a single point 😛

Agreed on Koei though...I still need to do Nobunaga II for my personal list (it's my last unfinished Koei game), but I just can't seem to get into it.