IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

8 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Temple of doom finished, I feel like I’m the only one that likes this game

CF96D262-DEBB-4FB7-8373-554E9652F80B.jpeg

YOU WIN

BIG MAN

How is this the first Ive seen of this?!?! This is the funniest shit ever. I remember renting that game and thinking it was really cool. But I dont think I actually got anywhere or had any idea what I was doing. Manual helpful?

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:
8 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

YOU WIN

BIG MAN

How is this the first Ive seen of this?!?! This is the funniest shit ever. I remember renting that game and thinking it was really cool. But I dont think I actually got anywhere or had any idea what I was doing. Manual helpful?

I used to play this on Commodore.  I wasn't terribly good, but I loved it.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 536/677 (bonus games - 74/100)
20 hours ago, NESfiend said:

YOU WIN

BIG MAN

You get the big man message by whipping willie at the end instead of just walking up to her.  I’m sure the manual is helpful but the hardest part of the game is the wave after you collect the stones you have to use a map to find a secret exit.  Growing up this was near impossible now just check online your map to the matching room to the appropriate exit location. 

Edited by Tablew/chairs
  • Haha 1

It's not part of this contest, but I just beat Roniu's Tale, the new homebrew that was released fairly recently (through Kickstarter) and it was really fun. Definitely recommend to anyone who likes puzzle games. It's akin to Kickle Cubicle but with better mechanics, though it is shorter. I think there are 55 levels and 3 bosses? So reasonably long, especially for an NES game. The music, graphics, animations, level design, everything was top notch.

17 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I played through the second world of Mario Adventure. Still fun, still brutal.

I mostly remember being annoyed with it there was definitely some interesting designs in there but I just got tired of it and ended up selling it when the time walk stuff started going for crazy prices 

Asterix is done.

I've owned an original copy for years, but never been able to play it since I only have NTSC consoles. Today was the first day I was able to track down an NTSC-compatibility patch for my Everdrive. I beat the game on my first try, so I can't say it was that hard. But it was still a bit of a white-knuckle effort:  I was on my last continue, and I did have to look up a couple of things online just to be sure I was doing them right. The controls/physics are a bit... off, and Asterix's agility is far below Mario's. Luckily, this game asks a lot less of Asterix than Mario Adventure does of our favorite plumber.

If I'm not mistaken, I've now tied the single-year record for completions that I set back in 2019.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 538/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

Just started up Adventures of Lolo 3, I'll probably finish it (unless someone else does first) but man, it is not nearly as well-designed as the first and second ones. I feel like too many of the puzzles rely on quick movement and specific timing rather than resource management and block puzzling. I've beaten all three, multiple times each, and somehow the third one even with the experience of the first two never manages to measure up to the bar set by the others.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:51 AM, Tablew/chairs said:

For what it's worth, I don't know anyone else that likes it either. That ending has to be up there with Ghostbusters as far as being even more disappointing than the actual game.

On 9/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, NESfiend said:

YOU WIN

BIG MAN

Have you seen the Ghostbusters ending? It's as hilarious as it is awful.

ghostbusters-ending-medium.png

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 539/677 (bonus games - 75/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 541/677 (bonus games - 75/100)
5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Volleyball is done. 

Congratulations on scoring your 100th point of the year! I know you have had bigger years before, but that's still a solid milestone that few contributors ever reach. 

I've paused on my contributions, but I'm still planning to resume and complete Mario Adventure and Carmen Sandiego. I broke down and started another game of the original Fire Emblem, which may be the single greatest game I've discovered through this competition. 

19 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Congratulations on scoring your 100th point of the year! I know you have had bigger years before, but that's still a solid milestone that few contributors ever reach. 

I've paused on my contributions, but I'm still planning to resume and complete Mario Adventure and Carmen Sandiego. I broke down and started another game of the original Fire Emblem, which may be the single greatest game I've discovered through this competition. 

Thanks! Hopefully I can knock off a few more games that I've finished in the past that are still on the board.

I know I've been silent for a while as well.  Been working on personal completions (lots of Famicom this year) as well as getting shit done in my non-gaming life.  I've been chipping away on Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, since it's my favourite game and all, but I also would like someone else who's inclined to try it to experience it.  It's not a great intro game for Koei titles (that would be Gemfire), but it's more user friendly than most of the others remaining on the board.  I've tried getting into Nobunaga II since it's the last Koei I need for my personal list, but I just can't get into it and I don't know any way to cheese the game to cross it off quickly so I never have to play it again 😛

Anyway, I'll probably go over the list when I have a bit of time available.  There's a few intriguing games on there, and a few I'm surprised haven't been knocked off (@Dr. Morbis, you need to get on that Adventure Island 😆).  I'm sure I can trim a few off both this list and my personal one.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 542/677 (bonus games - 75/100)
5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

RoadBlasters is done. I'm surprised that it's still unbeaten.

There are a bunch of 4 pointers left. I've never even heard of Overlord, but it's only 1 point. It has been quiet in here lately so I'm not sure how likely it is for the last 134 games to be finished with two months to go.

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There are a bunch of 4 pointers left. I've never even heard of Overlord, but it's only 1 point. It has been quiet in here lately so I'm not sure how likely it is for the last 134 games to be finished with two months to go.

Overlord SHOULD be incredibly tough, but there is a way to beat it in mere minutes.  That's probably why it's a single point.  For those like me that have already knocked it off, it's not worth firing up again for a single point, but for those that haven't beat it, they may not be aware of how quickly it can be brought down.  I mean, it did take a few attempts, but I played it for under an hour in total (and the winning run was like 5-10 minutes tops.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 543/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

Just knocked off Best of the Best: Championship Karate.  I didn't get every belt, but I did beat Cogneur and all the bonus fights to get both ending screens.  Honestly, once I figured it out, I rather enjoyed it...seems there's a fair bit of depth to it, but sadly it just ended up getting to be spamming one move to victory.  Not great, not terrible, just average overall IMO.  Glad to have it in the books though, that's for sure.