IGNORED

After 20 years I finally got an OG Xbox! Mainly for the arcade/mame games...What kind of keyboard/mouse for DOS emulator?

Estil

First off a very special thank you to my wonderful grandma who helped me get this in time for Christmas!  I mean I would've been perfectly content with getting this when I got paid next (Jan 3) but she just stepped up to the plate (I didn't even ask or hint of such a thing; honest) and gave me an extra c-note so I could get this in time for Christmas (okay I did say I intended it to be like my late Christmas present but I digress).  You guys have no idea what an awesome grandma I have 🙂 

Well folks, after 20 years and eyeing this for a few years...I finally found the right seller and at long last got my very first Xbox console!  The original one of course.  But isn't just some regular Xbox, no sir this one has been cleaned/refurbished, and has a 120GB hard drive with plenty of room to play Xbox isos on it (about a couple dozen were already included).  It includes a like new S controller and I had hoped he could throw in a Duke controller also so I could also see what that was like...sadly he apparently could only find a 3rd party Duke-like controller.  I just thought it would've been a neat bonus...I didn't pay any extra for it so I guess I'm in no position to complain.

But of course the main thing I wanted more than anything was to be able to play the arcade/mame games on it.  On this Xbox is uses a Mame O Extras sort of deal for that purpose.  I was able to figure out how to connect the Xbox with an ethernet cable to my modem/router and using a special program called FileZilla to add what I think is supposed to be the latest mame rom set in addition to the ones already included so I now have well over 3000 arcade games to choose from!  Think of all the quarters I'll be saving! 😄   Sadly my wife won't get to play her favorite (Space Invaders) on it or on the NES we had meant to play together six months ago 😞 

It also has an added bonus of being able to play Xbox isos...besides the obvious Halo games are there any other blue chip exclusives I should be aware of?  You guys know how I've gone on record as how fascinated I am by things like jrpgs and/or multi-disc PS1 games that "give you your money's worth" (dozens of hours of gameplay)?  Well, these arcade/mame games are just the polar opposite yet they too (at least as they were originally in an arcade) are ones you hope to "get your money's worth" but in practice they're meant to be played only briefly for 5-10 minutes or so, unless you've REALLY gotten a LOT of practice and can really stretch that quarter!

So any nice arcade and/or original Xbox memories the rest of you have?  Don't worry I'm still doing the DS-only month...I just set the system up and ran a few mame/arcade games as tests.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

The original Xbox is one of the consoles I enjoy the most. I've never been into emulation, what with all the inherent flaws and input lag. So I never used it for that, more of an FPGA enthusiast these days. But, I digress!

The Xbox has a lot of great games! It never took off in Japan, so there aren't many good jrpg experiences on there. But it definitely led to a host of western developers to finally break out. There are still many good Japanese games on Xbox, but not nearly as many as had been before on other consoles. 

Maybe sharing the list of my Xbox games can help you find some stuff that you will enjoy too: 

https://backloggery.com/games.php?user=ifightdragons&console=Xbox

Edited by ifightdragons

I never owned one, but i put 100s of hours on one, maybe into the 1000s really.

It's also one good reason I also why I never bought one. 🙂

When I was at Midway of the five primary projects over a couple years the xbox was used for one or two of my games, one big one was NHL Hitz 2002.  I was at it usually 6-7 days a a week mostly on overtime with over 12 hour days as this was pre-ea wife so abuses were rampant.  I had a lot of time to get used to the system, the controller, and their standards.  On top of that people would take the linked boxes and do Halo daily on lunch/dinner break hours too.  I never liked the original controller was a bit heavy handed, and compared to the PS2 and GC I saw no value in it when it was a Halo machine exclusively really for over a year.  I never got enjoyment out of it much, didn't have exclusives to fit my needs, and them kicking off paying for multiplayer was a put off.  That said I really loved playing and working through the design of NHL Hitz one of my favorite sports games of all time as it's just awesome, shame the sequels got progressively worse in no small part to some evil crap EA pulled.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Estil said:

besides the obvious Halo games are there any other blue chip exclusives I should be aware of?

Crimson Skies, KoToR, KoToR II, Jade Empire, Ninja Garden, Panzer Dragoon, Deus Ex, Thief, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Otogi, Otogi 2, Riddick, Fable, Doom 3, Half Life 2, House of the Dead 3, Mechassault, Steel Battalion Myst IV, Strangers Wrath, Shenmue 2, Republic Commando, Stubbs, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Crimson Skies, KoToR, KoToR II, Jade Empire, Ninja Garden, Panzer Dragoon, Deus Ex, Thief, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Otogi, Otogi 2, Riddick, Fable, Doom 3, Half Life 2, House of the Dead 3, Mechassault, Steel Battalion Myst IV, Strangers Wrath, Shenmue 2, Republic Commando, Stubbs, etc.

Yeah like anyone actually PLAYS Steel Battalion.

Just now, Tanooki said:

Console exclusives sure, but a good bit of that list had nicer PC versions, Halo 1 and 2 included.  MS even then was good on watering down their exclusives having PC versions since they control the market with Windows largely.

Yeah I meant console exclusives.

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Care to elaborate?

I'm a bit disappointed that Crusin' USA (which the Lexington Greyhound station (which I had to use to go home and back during UK vacations during the early 2000s) had at the time) is apparently too much for the Xbox...it runs super slow if you try to run it.

I guess make that coming to your home in (fall) 1996!  It just sounded so much more badass as the Nintendo ULTRA 64 as opposed to plain ol' Nintendo 64 😞   Hee hee, in a way it kinda makes me think of the Power Rangers' Ultrazord! 😄 

Edited by Estil

On 12/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, Tanooki said:

Blame the Germans I think it was them who had some lock down on the use of Ultra and Nintendo wanted branding across the board the same unlike the Super Famicom vs SNES elsewhere.

I guess that xbox could do n64 emulation, Crusin' even censored is fantastic on there.

Well the arcade version is a step above the regular N64 console...as you can clearly tell in a side by side comparison.  I think there's a VG Decide channel on YT that does comparisons like that.  I should check them out...

Blame the Germans?  Oh no, I know who to blame! 😄 

Edited by Estil

Editorials Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Estil said:

Care to elaborate?

?

KoToR is Star Wars Bioware

Morrowind is an Elder Scrolls

Myst IV is Myst game

Whenever I start diving into a new console I just do a lot of research.  Hardcoregaming101, whatever top 100 lists are floating around, etc.

17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

?

KoToR is Star Wars Bioware

Morrowind is an Elder Scrolls

Myst IV is Myst game

Whenever I start diving into a new console I just do a lot of research.  Hardcoregaming101, whatever top 100 lists are floating around, etc.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my PS2 (with Free Mcboot and internal hard drive) to play PS2 isos properly (they appear on the list but they just show a black screen 😞 )

EDIT: I'm gonna try to get this to work again...I just gotta figure it out, even if it kills me 😞   EDIT: Yay!  It looks like just having "OPNPS2LD v1.0.0" did the trick!

And as for the Xbox 360 and so on, I'm not interested in any of those as they don't seem to really offer anything all that special.

Edited by Estil

• The title was changed to After 20 years I finally got an OG Xbox! Mainly for the arcade/mame games...What kind of keyboard/mouse for DOS emulator?

So apparently you can also actually run MS-DOS stuff on the Xbox??  Believe it or not I managed to find a gigantic set of what, nearly every MS-DOS game known to exist?  That being said, obviously I'll need a keyboard/mouse for these...is there any sort of special kind of keyboard/mouse I'm supposed to use that will work on the OG Xbox?

I wonder if you can somehow do Windows 3.1 games on it too...

• 2 weeks later...

So as I'm currently working on getting my PS2's new hard drive (1TB) set up just right (I tried to get all the IGN top 100 among other things) and I think this time I might be able to include all the artwork and such for the games, like I now have with my Wii for GC/Wii games. 

So just out of curiosity I thought I'd see what the deal was with this kind of thing for the PS3...and it looks like I'm out of luck.  Aside from the fact that the much bigger Blu-Ray games will eat up the 500GB hard drive space quickly...you apparently risk getting banned if you try to trophy sync your console with a modded/jailbroke PS3.

Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.

Edited by Estil