IGNORED

Need some homebrew guidance!

Hello everyone, 

I primarily collect 8/16 bit games and consoles. I'm running out of officially licensed CIB games to collect. So I'm looking for companies like Limited Run that make physical copies of homebrew games. Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to toss out the names of some good ones as well if you wish!

Homebrew Team · Posted

Welcome to the world of Homebrew 😀

A lot of titles are self published, but there are several publishers that offer titles by several brewers.  Take a look at:

6502 collective

Broke Studio

Mega Cat Studios

Infinite NES lives

RetroUSB

If you have some particular types of games you like to play, we can recommend some.  That may lead you to self published games as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Welcome to the world of Homebrew 😀

A lot of titles are self published, but there are several publishers that offer titles by several brewers.  Take a look at:

6502 collective

Broke Studio

Mega Cat Studios

Infinite NES lives

RetroUSB

If you have some particular types of games you like to play, we can recommend some.  That may lead you to self published games as well.

Thanks! My favorite NES games are Dragon Warrior, Castlevania, Faxanadu, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

I just picked up the Golden Gun Girl and Witch and Wiz to get started. 

Homebrew Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Kain Highwind said:

Thanks! My favorite NES games are Dragon Warrior, Castlevania, Faxanadu, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

I just picked up the Golden Gun Girl and Witch and Wiz to get started. 

You're welcome!

RPGs are not a plentiful genre for NES homebrew. 

For Zelda like, take a look at Anguna Scourge of the Goblin King (it was a kickstarter, but will be available at 6502 Collective soon) or Quest Forge Order of the Kings (has a run into the enemy mechanic sorta like Ys Book I and II). 

Big fan of Castlevania and Faxanada.  Something more directly in that vein is in the works, called Project Broscht .  For platformer with different theming, take a look at Project Blue, or for less action, take a look at L’Abbaye des Morts.  

@Scrobinsruns two threads to take a look at
Homebrews for Sale: https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/1050-vgs-homebrew-almanac
Homebrews in Development: https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/1104-vgs-homebrew-on-the-horizon

Try Piko Interactive, kind of a unique one: https://pikointeractive.com/

He either licenses old games from the current owners to sell them, or he buys the IP outright and sells the stuff, and in some cases finishes up unfinished prototype copies getting them completed finishing a lost treasure.

Multiple formats there too: NES, Gameboy Family, SNES, Genesis, N64, Jaguar, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Kain Highwind said:

Thanks guys. Making a list! Also, anyone know of a quality company still making Sweet Home repros?

You might do a WTB thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.  Someone might have one they'll sell or someone may make you one.  Esty can also be your friend.

PlayAsia, Castlemania, StoneAgeGamer and even Amazon also sell a lot of homebrew stuff.  Scrobin's thread like was mentioned above is probably the best resource for finding new homebrew.

Edited by CMR
  • Like 1