IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest Round 1: Mario Kart 64

Red

Hello and welcome to the first round of the Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest!  In celebration of it's 25th anniversary on the 14th, this week's game is Mario Kart 64.  

Rules:

- Play Luigi Raceway, Frappe Snowland, Sherbet Land, and Bowser's Castle on Time Trials.

- You may play the courses in any order and as many times as you want.  You do not need to replay all the courses if you only want to improve your time on one of them.

- You may choose any character you want for any of the courses.

- Take a picture at the results screen for each track.

- Lowest combined total time wins.

- You may not use shortcuts, glitches, or exploits.  This includes, but is not limited to, jumping over walls or fences, lap skipping, or using lakitu for time saving purposes.  If you're unsure about something, please ask.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, December 19, 2021 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/9667-nintendo-64-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20212022/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 7'28"55 (PII)

2. 7'38''06 (Krunch)

3. 8'08"25 (RH)

4. 8'08'61 (Splain)

5. 8'22"68 (ZeldaFan042)

6. 8'55"15 (Jeevan)

Edited by Red
  • Like 3

Sorry bout the friggin sideways pics it appears that its because I downgraded the size of the OG files.  

So I assume we can upgrade our course times separately ie we dont need to do them all in a row?

EDIT:  Oh yeah also....  FIRST

Edited by Krunch
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Damn I always played as Mario with friends back in the day but hes pretty terrible, I just trounced all my opening scores with DK and Bowser

mario is usually my goto, but i might have to try someone different for this 😞 ✊

I will start on this after the ebay auction im looking at is over, win or lose 😐  

10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

mario is usually my goto, but i might have to try someone different for this 😞 ✊

I will start on this after the ebay auction im looking at is over, win or lose 😐  

Just use gixen bud!!! Hahaha

I suppose the all-rounder characters excel in multiplayer cause youre gonna get hit and yada yada.  Thats bad for the heavies, with their poor acceleration.  In time trials though, top speed is king and theres no impediments 🚦

2 hours ago, Splain said:

Can we skim the inside of the track (off the road) on Luigi?

Yes, that is okay.

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Sorry bout the friggin sideways pics it appears that its because I downgraded the size of the OG files.  

So I assume we can upgrade our course times separately ie we dont need to do them all in a row?

EDIT:  Oh yeah also....  FIRST

That's right.  You do not have to do them all in a row.  I'll clarify this in the rules.

43 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Is it legal to mix and match characters @Red? As in play different characters on different courses?

Yes, you can play any character you want and change the character for different courses.  I'll clarify this in the rules as well.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'm going to see what I could do.  To bad it's not the DK level.  I was no speed runner, but I could kill on that level.  That was my go-to for personal speed running.  Also, no Wario Stadium?  Anyone else try to perfect the wall hop?  I could usually get it one out of three attempts, which was enough to school friends.

SCORE:

8:56:05

8:08:25

I eanted to just get on the board. Not sure I'll get time to improve.

PXL_20211216_034611479.jpg

PXL_20211216_031251183.jpg

PXL_20211216_025142748.jpg

PXL_20211216_024709608.jpg

Edited by RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

Yeah, I'm going to see what I could do.  To bad it's not the DK level.  I was no speed runner, but I could kill on that level.  That was my go-to for personal speed running.  Also, no Wario Stadium?  Anyone else try to perfect the wall hop?  I could usually get it one out of three attempts, which was enough to school friends.

I gotta tell ya I'm glad it's not the DK level now that you mention it.  Mostly its the coconuts that mess with me.  Warios Stadium is a programming mess but yeah its pretty great.

I am mostly super down with all these choices these were always some of my better levels except Luigis Raceway not so much.  Got a decent improvement on Frappe just now

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

It wouldn't be allowed here, but I got pretty good at that wall hop, I could nail it probably 9 out of 10 times. I was finishing lap 3 when my buddies were just starting lap 2. Of course until they started doing it too. Then whenever we picked Wario Stadium, it was either "no wall hop" or "wall hop allowed." But that late jump that takes you over a previous section of the track, you had to look at everyone's screen to make sure nobody had a lightning bolt, because they are definitely saving those for when someone goes over that jump. Then you have to try and fake them out so they waste the lightning bolt and you don't fall down. Such good times. 🥲

I hope this game emulates ok, because for the life of me I can't find my cart. It's possible I loaned it out years ago and never got it back. RIP Smash Bros and my N64 Gameshark, and now probably Mario Kart. 🙄 I hope someone's playing them wherever they are.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krunch said:

Got a decent improvement on Frappe just now

So I tried that course (and only that one) last night and thought I got a pretty good run in. Then I checked your score and its like 20 seconds better. 

I know Im the only old nintendo fan on the planet never to have played this game, but what the hell could I be missing? Never went off course or hit any snowmen. Hardly slowed down at all. Is there some strategy Im missing or can you really shave that much time off just by taking the most efficient path?

Edited by NESfiend

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

So I tried that course (and only that one) last night and thought I got a pretty good run in. Then I checked your score and its like 20 seconds better. 

I know Im the only old nintendo fan on the planet never to have played this game, but what the hell could I be missing? Never went off course or hit any snowmen. Hardly slowed down at all. Is there some strategy Im missing or can you really shave that much time off just by taking the most efficient path?

Are you drifting? You need to be drifting around like, every single turn.